• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - IMPORTANT SOCIAL ISSUES

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
The politics question- Gundam came to mind first. But there are others with political tie ins and undertones.
Infitnie Rvyius- the kids picking leaders and over throwing them Razz,
is the only one coming to mind.
Now and Then here and there, One Piece- those naughty Pirates going against the world Government...

The Nword...wow. Personally I feel that so many young people use that words is because its in like every rap song. I don't understand the fasination with the rap culture- but i've seen so many non african americans trying to emulate what they call cool.
I love calling my friends the nword and then telling them to pick cotten for nonexistant wages.

I swear that hiaku is trippin on too many syllables . And that bunny has a weird mouth. Is that your bunny Zac? I think I rememebr you saying you had some.

Answerfans
Quote:
Thus members of the male population are 'guaranteed to get laid' by attending YaoiCon

Hopefully by the male species. Wink

Why is it ok for boys to get their yaoi on but not girls getting their yuri. I haven't been to many cons- but I don't remember any girls with "Will Yuri for food" signs.

Quote:
as the bodies started to build up, the guy sitting next to be started pretending to have an orgasm. He started deeply breathing, shaking especially in the hips, and even moaning. He even brushed against me once before I moved away!

How do you know he was pretending?

Worst anime? Hands down that goes to Genma Wars. Why? Because the dub and the plot were horrible. One minute the twins are angsting and angry at each other and then next thing I know one of them is getting it on with a random chick out of the blue. The animation had me laughing out loud.

Good column! But I was surprised: No mention of the lack of black charcters? I expected that. Nice banner btw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Well that was enlightening. Only two cons I've been to I left middle of the same day. It's hard to stay longer when you don't have much money and you're driving a friend's younger sister who is equally strapped for cash. I guess luck is in my favor...the worst I've had to endure is just to see girls cosplaying characters they should never ever try to(...or guys in the same boat).

Interesting question for the next column. I'd say Spiral for the worst series I've ever seen but even then I didn't hate it as much as other people have hated some series. I think my friend would write in about Mushishi if he followed the column...heh, his loss I guess.

Looking forward to those answers.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I think the first series that pops into my head if you mention politics is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Either season, or Solid State Society.

I love that most of those stories about inappropriate con behavior involve sexual acts of some kind...gah.

Worst series I've ever seen all the way through? Probably Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. In all honesty, I thought the series had pretty good potential after the first four episodes. As the series continued, it just got more boring, the animation got more inconsistent, and the fact that I just don't get turned on by little girls really made it supremely uninteresting. The big feather in it's decrepit hat was that the ending was just completely horrible. Please don't tell me, "You need to see the second series to get the ending." Why would I want to subject myself to more of that vile crap if I didn't like the first 26 episodes of it?
Futagi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I have a question about the Answerfans question this week. Does it have to be a series or will a movie suffice as well? Also, did we have to watch the entire thing?
Sir Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
the answers to the question last week were great Anime hyper
this week's question's answers will not be nearly as entertaining .-.
diadumenian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The Super Milk-Chan Show is by far the worst anime I've ever seen. At first I thought it was some kind of cheaply made cartoon crap that Adult Swim seems to broadcast a lot, and then to my horror I realized it was actually a Japanese product. Occasionally a series with poorly drawn characters and lame dialogue can succeed on some level (think Beavis and Butthead), but that's because there's cleverness and purpose embedded somewhere that challenges the mind. At worst you can find humor, or irony, or creative panty shots. But the Milk-Chan Show has no redeeming values whatsoever. It drags down all anime because it has no quality, and embarrasses anyone who considers themselves an anime fan.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:

Interesting question for the next column. I'd say Spiral for the worst series I've ever seen but even then I didn't hate it as much as other people have hated some series. I think my friend would write in about Mushishi if he followed the column...heh, his loss I guess.

Looking forward to those answers.

I've heard equally bad things about Spiral. This is, however, the first (and probably only) time I've ever heard someone say anything bad about Mushishi. I suppose if you really hate episodic anime, then you might not like Mushishi...but why would you be watching it in the first place if you don't like episodic anime?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Those were some... interesting stories. And gross.

My worst experience at a con was when my friends and I were waiting in line for the yaoi marathon (we were curious). Four of us were watching an anime in another room, so we sent one friend ahead to hold a place in line (line fills up fast). When we got finally got there, he had the angriest, most disgusted look on his face, and we didn't know why until we got closer. Sitting at his feet was a fat, greasy haired, sweaty fangirl who was rubbing his shoe with a filthy Gravitation bunny. Knowing my friend, he was trying REALLY hard not to kick her in the face. We felt really bad for him, since he's got neatness issues, and this was probably his worst nightmare. This girl smelled so bad, we actually let people cut in front of us just to get away from her, but we'd still get wafts from her. The worst part was later during the con, we saw her straddling some guy and making out with him.

I can't think of an anime that would rate worst anime ever. I've seen some anime that I haven't particularly cared for, but nothing repulsed me like say, that fangirl did. If an anime doesn't hold my interest, I just stop watching it.
lazylii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
interesting question about politics in anime. that seems like a dull subject for anime.

as for worst series ever- Eiken. i watched it by accident and it was horrible.
nkaze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I can think of several great political animes off the top of my head, like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or Zipang! There's quite a few others out there, but many are somewhat low-profile, or are targeted at niche audiences.

The worst anime I've seen has to be Gundam X. Terrible animation quality, weird character designs, and overwhelming feeling of inferiority make this the worst gundam series ever. I'm sure there are worse shows out there, but for me this one proved to be the biggest disappointment.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I actually want to go to more conventions now to these terrible smelling nut jobs. I guess there aren't too many nut jobs in Alabama anime cons. *sighs*
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
I suppose if you really hate episodic anime, then you might not like Mushishi...but why would you be watching it in the first place if you don't like episodic anime?

He's a bored college student Wink . Just too much free time and the want to watch anime, I suppose. I told him he'd hate it though, it wasn't even a question for me. Lets see...

Episodic? Check. No real comedy? Check. Drama and lots of talking? Check. No action? Check. And the only thing I want to strangle him for is saying bad animation. "Check".

Truth be told, he does like the drama bit, but only if it's in a show like TTGL or Bleach where it's pressed between bouts of massive action or comedy. "You can't please everybody", right?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
Wow, I actually want to go to more conventions now to these terrible smelling nut jobs. I guess there aren't too many nut jobs in Alabama anime cons. *sighs*

LOL, the rest of the con was fine and very fun. There's just always about a dozen people or so that really stand out in a bad way that taint the whole anime fan image.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
An alternate response to the first question Answerman addressed:

You're just not watching them. This comparison is sort of apples and oranges; it's not quite accurate to say that American movies and TV have a lot of political themes because there's a really wide range of genres; among more serious dramas (or stuff like Colbert), there might be a lot of politics, but not so much for, say, Nickelodeon or celebrity gossip shows. Similarly, most of the anime and manga that are released in America or in the West tend to be a more specific focus of genres for a more specific audience. You don't get much hardcore political seinen manga released in the States (unless it's mindless violence-- with some exceptions, of course).

I would argue that Answerman's assertion that anime is generally targeted for a younger crowd may be true (although I won't say that's for sure), but similarly, most American movies and TV aren't necessarily aimed towards an audience that has political interest either. Secondly, although America is the country responsible for the war, it's not like Japan hasn't been significantly politically impacted by it either, and it's not like Japanese politics are much less divisive.

Additionally, some of the politically-charged Japanese anime and manga properties are a bit subtler about it. Miyazaki's adaption Howl's Moving Castle channeled his own frustration with the Iraq War. Blood+ and Death Note both have subtle signs of opposition to the war or the American government/ Bush administration in general. And heck, what recent media property in America has been as politically (emphasis on the politics part) controversial as Japan's Kuni ga Moeru? (aside from maybe Ann Coulter-- although last time I checked, she still hasn't been pulled by the publisher. Kuni ga Moeru has.)
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
I suppose if you really hate episodic anime, then you might not like Mushishi...but why would you be watching it in the first place if you don't like episodic anime?

He's a bored college student Wink . Just too much free time and the want to watch anime, I suppose. I told him he'd hate it though, it wasn't even a question for me. Lets see...

Episodic? Check. No real comedy? Check. Drama and lots of talking? Check. No action? Check. And the only thing I want to strangle him for is saying bad animation. "Check".

Truth be told, he does like the drama bit, but only if it's in a show like TTGL or Bleach where it's pressed between bouts of massive action or comedy. "You can't please everybody", right?

Preposterous. Mushishi has top-notch animation and possibly the best art I've seen in a series this side of Gankutsuou.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15