• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Amagi Brilliant Park

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Amagi's author, Gatoh Shoji of FullMetal Panic fame, says in the novel afterwords he was inspired to write the story after visiting "a famous mainstream amusement park", to showcase the ups and downs of park employees working to entertain the masses.

He ended up interviewing a Japan Disneyland employee to research material for his book, whom he promised to keep anonymous due to the exposé nature of info shared.

Moffle looks like Bonta-kun from FMP because Gatoh kept seeing Moffle = Bonta, and was lucky that FMP's illustrator allowed him to reuse the Bonta design again.

IIRC the anime only covered Vol 1 of the source novels, backed up with some anime original content. 7 more volumes remain.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Amagi's author, Gatoh Shoji of FullMetal Panic fame, says in the novel afterwords he was inspired to write the story after visiting "a famous mainstream amusement park", to showcase the ups and downs of park employees working to entertain the masses.

He ended up interviewing a Japan Disneyland employee to research material for his book, whom he promised to keep anonymous due to the exposé nature of info shared.

Moffle looks like Bonta-kun from FMP because Gatoh kept seeing Moffle = Bonta, and was lucky that FMP's illustrator allowed him to reuse the Bonta design again.

IIRC the anime only covered Vol 1 of the source novels, backed up with some anime original content. 7 more volumes remain.

Having spent some time working in a fairly popular amusement park myself, a lot of these little details felt both hilarious and very true to the spirit of the real experience. It was far and away the worst job I've ever had in my life, but I also got quite a few...interesting stories to share out of it.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
The things I still remember vividly from when I watched Amagi a couple of years ago:

The three mascots, who were probably my favorite characters in the show
Kanie and Isuzu's shotgun "first date," and Kanie's fight with Moffle
The pirate raid episode (episode 7, I think?), which was just ridiculously fun
The little kids from hell
The brainstorming meetings for any kind of marketing/promotional angles they can think of to get an indifferent public through the door

Even though I don't work in amusement parks, those last two items are things I'm all too familiar with in my own line of work (can't say I've ever had to deal with an unexpected pirate raid, though).

Not my favorite KyoAni, but it was definitely a fun one to watch.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
Amagi Brilliant Park (or Amagri)

Isn't it "AmaBri" (amaburi)?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Sena being named after 50 Cent went right by me, but I did wonder about Kanie and Latifah.

This was a fun series overall. It would be nice if we saw more since it briefly sets up later plot points, but at least it doesn't completely leave things hanging.

Also, I have to give the show credit for spoiler[immediately addressing the issue of the disrepair and cleanliness. I actually felt sorry for the few people that bought tickets before Kanie arrived.]
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
The things I still remember vividly from when I watched Amagi a couple of years ago:

The three mascots, who were probably my favorite characters in the show
Kanie and Isuzu's shotgun "first date," and Kanie's fight with Moffle
The pirate raid episode (episode 7, I think?), which was just ridiculously fun
The little kids from hell
The brainstorming meetings for any kind of marketing/promotional angles they can think of to get an indifferent public through the door.

And Sylphie's complete Out-There-ness.
And Tirami's utterly perverted nature throughout the entire series.
(Eg. when the one new employee turns out to have a secret JAV-video history, and Tirami goes through his entire collection to try and find it.)

And since the Mods pull my posts for "soapboxing" every time I go into detail about how 90's Disney and Tokyo Disney vets get the "real" jokes in the series, I'll just say that everyone has their own reasons for cracking up silly at the post-credits "Adventure! Excitement!" segs about the old Amagi's so-wrong attractions.
Still, anyone who remembers Goosebumps and American Idol at the Disney Studios park...
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I think Amagi is a decent show, but nothing that interesting. The three mascot character are awesome, but the rest of the crew is very by the book and just not that interesting. And the show spends too much time with the human character so the theme park and fairy land element goes underused. I'd also almost classify it as a slice-of-life show, there's not that much joke to be honest, most of them land, but where talking about maybe 1/10 the joke concentration that Nichijou had.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I always found the business angle of the show the most fascinating element. Despite all the fairy's running around, the issues they had to deal with were solidly real... which I guess gives the show in the rare honor of being comparable to Spice and Wolf!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
May extend my very belated congratulations to you, [b]Aura Ichidora[b]! Resident Evil was never quite to my liking, though your Sumomo figurine couldn't help but take my eye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Loved the concept that the mascots in amusement parks around the world are characters from magical land. Like if there was a real Disney Kingdom out there. Made me think that a Mickey Mouse cameo was in the realm of possibility even though it wouldn't happen due to legal stuff ha ha!
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe I didn't realize that they were named after Hip Hop stars. In hindsight, it should have been obvious. Laughing
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Tiffany Grant in this one, it is very different from her usual roles. Adam Gibbs looks like he is starting to become quite big at Sentai.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Shelf Life wrote:
Amagi Brilliant Park (or Amagri)

Isn't it "AmaBri" (amaburi)?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I haven't watched the dub nor seen the official DVD subs (they're different to the official streaming dubs is all I know), so maybe that's what Sentai called it?
tbh amagri sounds kinda gross and awkward. Where does gRi come from?

Quote:
Pomeranian Tiramy,

Is that what they are?

I really enjoyed Amagi. It has its faults and I don't feel like it's going to particularly change lives, but it's a lot of fun. The comedic timing is really great. I love Anime Kanye so much.

On the rapper etc thing, Kanye's sister is named Ice Cube, and the primary villain is Chris Tucker.

I really want to read the books.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I more or less blundered into Amagi Brilliant Park. I'm always looking for the offbeat, and picked it up pretty much as a blind buy. Rest assured I do not regret it!

The show had me from the moment Sento "asked" Kanie out on a date, and Kanie's first look at the park itself left me hopelessly hooked. It strikes a great balance between the absurd and heartfelt, and ended at a solid point in the story. Would pick up a season 2 in a heartbeat!
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And Sylphie's complete Out-There-ness.
And Tirami's utterly perverted nature throughout the entire series.
(Eg. when the one new employee turns out to have a secret JAV-video history, and Tirami goes through his entire collection to try and find it.)

In hindsight, Sylphie was also Tomoyo Kurosawa's first voice role with KyoAni, which she followed up with her fantastic performance as Kumiko in Euphonium.

I'd forgotten about the JAV character entirely, but I definitely remember that scene with Tiramie now that you mention it (and speaking of VAs doing multiple roles for KyoAni, Tiramie's seiyuu also played Fuko in Clannad).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2