• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Careful Rebecca, your fujoshi is showing Laughing

Laughing It's funny, I'm actually not much of a fujoshi, but for Mikleo and Sorey, I make an exception. Very Happy

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised you ranked the episode so highly.

I did worry that I was being too generous - I couldn't quite justify why I liked this episode s much. (It wasn't just the mousse!) But I think I've seen so many mediocre "The big battle's coming! Honest! Really really soon! We swear!" episodes that I appreciated how this one didn't beat about the bush - they got there, the fight started, Alisha and Rose were awesome, with no stopping to contemplate or build tension.

Also, I'm on school vacation this week. Not having to get up at 3:30 am can make me pretty giddy. Smile
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As it stands, Dezel's death feels hollow, as if it was orchestrated to deliberately up the emotional stakes before the final battle

Having played the game and knowing all of his characters backstory. It felt the same way to me too. I think they did it to get rid of him, like they did in the game, where Zaveid is the main wind seraph you have for around half the story.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
There have actually been an alarming number of major plotline deaths from the game avoided up until now (not that I'm complaining). spoiler[Dezel's is the odd one, because the proper emotional context for his death in the original game came and went at the beginning of the season, when we found out about the Windriders and his past with Rose.] Instead we get this episode, which felt more like "oh, yeah, wasn't he supposed to have been killed off by now?" It was also where we learned about how Zaveid's [totally deus ex machina] gun works, which set up some impressively dark symbolism for the final battle that will probably once more not really be given any time to sink in.

They've got two episodes to stick the landing, but they're already coming out of the jump at a really odd angle. I'll give it a pass as long as spoiler[Sorey and Mikleo still get to be together in the end].
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Two deaths in one weekend. First spoiler[Orga] in Gundam IBO and now spoiler[Dezel in Zestiria X]. This has been one mean St. Patrick's Day weekend.

Quote:
Could it be because Symonne has become a dragon, since they seem to share a past? That feels likely, but it's also too out-of-the-blue to make sense in the context of the show. (The game may provide more context, but I haven't played it.)

Unfortunately there isn't much context from the game either. Symonne, aka Evil Madoka, has literally no backstory to explore. You do see spoiler[some flashbacks about her history with the Windriders in the game], but it's flimsy as hell when it comes to explaining anything. What little background there is to her is some vague, non-spoiler stuff: Symonne had a hard life, misfortunes befell her constantly and she adopted a nihilistic view of existence, which caught the attention of Heldalf, aka Dark Leomon. We never learn what that hard life entailed or what those misfortunes were. She's just a lackey character they didn't bother to develop.

Quote:
the abandoned town they end up in is particularly beautiful, all wrought iron and ice. Seeing a normin with a strangely seductive voice waiting there feels like a nice bonus, though I can't help but feel that her name, Grimoire, might have something to do with the book on her back—and that it might be a helpful book if someone bothered to ask about it. The abandoned village is certainly a reminder of what the Lord of Chaos has done to the world, and the blood moon that rises above it, staining even the snow with a ruddy hue, works well with that symbolism, drawing a parallel to where Sorey and Mikleo started out, exploring the ruins near their home.

All of this can be understood more in Berseria. Some negative Nancies think they just hastily slapped in some references from the game to make the audience go, "Oh wow, look who/what is in this episode!"

Edit: Edited my post due to whining from two users about spoilers they could have chosen to ignore of their own volition.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Meh, was it really necessary to kill off Dezel at this late point in time? It might have made some sense in the game since you didn't really need two wind seraphs (though i still hated it), but here it just feels like emotional manipulation...
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Two deaths in one weekend. First spoiler[Orga in Gundam IBO] and now spoiler[Dezel in Zestiria X].

Quote:
Could it be because Symonne has become a dragon, since they seem to share a past? That feels likely, but it's also too out-of-the-blue to make sense in the context of the show. (The game may provide more context, but I haven't played it.)

Unfortunately there isn't much context from the game either. Symonne, aka Evil Madoka, has literally no backstory to explore. You do see spoiler[some flashbacks about her history with the Windriders in the game], but it's flimsy as hell when it comes to explaining anything. What little background there is to her is some vague, non-spoiler stuff: Symonne had a hard life, misfortunes befell her constantly and she adopted a nihilistic view of existence, which caught the attention of Heldalf, aka Dark Leomon. We never learn what that hard life entailed or what those misfortunes were. She's just a lackey character they didn't bother to develop.

Quote:
the abandoned town they end up in is particularly beautiful, all wrought iron and ice. Seeing a normin with a strangely seductive voice waiting there feels like a nice bonus, though I can't help but feel that her name, Grimoire, might have something to do with the book on her back—and that it might be a helpful book if someone bothered to ask about it. The abandoned village is certainly a reminder of what the Lord of Chaos has done to the world, and the blood moon that rises above it, staining even the snow with a ruddy hue, works well with that symbolism, drawing a parallel to where Sorey and Mikleo started out, exploring the ruins near their home.

All of this can be understood more in Berseria. Some negative Nancies think they just hastily slapped in some references from the game to make the audience go, "Oh wow, look who/what is in this episode!"

You could have said that one of those spoilers was for a different currently airing show. I think most people when they see the spoiler tag assume that it is for this show probably have already watched this episode to be reading the review so they are going to click on the spoiler but might not have watched the episode of the other show.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
we kinda knew this was gonna happened. if he had lived, then this series would be considered completely filler and not canon to the game at all.

though my beef is the otaku community comparing symonne to evil madoka cause to be frank those two are NOT similar at the slightest. at least madoka even in her evil state gave a damn to her best friend. symonne's case is all about numero uno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
You could have said that one of those spoilers was for a different currently airing show. I think most people when they see the spoiler tag assume that it is for this show probably have already watched this episode to be reading the review so they are going to click on the spoiler but might not have watched the episode of the other show.

Did you seriously quote my entire post just to point out one detail? And a spoiler tag is a spoiler tag. If people don't want to know, they don't look. That's your own decision to make.
Simplo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Did you seriously quote my entire post just to point out one detail? And a spoiler tag is a spoiler tag. If people don't want to know, they don't look. That's your own decision to make.

Context is a thing. You can't just claim ignorance. You shouldn't post spoilers of other shows, that's just common sense. What makes me angry is that you're not even sorry. How horrible of a human being you have to be to mislead people into spoiling themselves and then feel nothing about it?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps they ought to have indicated which of the spoilers were for this shows but on the list of misdeeds one can commit, spoiling isn't terribly high. The dudgeon seems disproportionate.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
though my beef is the otaku community comparing symonne to evil madoka cause to be frank those two are NOT similar at the slightest. at least madoka even in her evil state gave a damn to her best friend. symonne's case is all about numero uno.

It's just a silly moniker based on the fact Christine Marie Cabanos voiced both Madoka and Symonne. It's not a comparison of character traits.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Simplo wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Context is a thing. You can't just claim ignorance. You shouldn't post spoilers of other shows, that's just common sense. What makes me angry is that you're not even sorry. How horrible of a human being you have to be to mislead people into spoiling themselves and then feel nothing about it?

For starters on the issue of spoilers while the major deaths in the tags were correctly tagged belvadeer it is not in good taste, and certainly OT at the least, to post major spoilers for a DIFFERENT show than the one the discussion is about. It would be one thing if it was for a more generalized topic that included a theme or multiple shows. This thread is not. This is series specific and discussion should remain on the specific series as much as possible. Posting major spoilers for other shows without any sort of warning is most assuredly in poor form. Anyone reading spoilers in a thread specifically for a series is not expecting to find spoilers for unrelated shows. So moving forward please refrain from posting spoilers to unrelated shows in series specific discussion threads. Thanks.

That being said Simplo if you have issue with someone violating the rules please just report them. Calling someone a horrible human being over the issue of spoilers is simply not called for and quite rude in it's own right. Not to mention a bit extreme given the offense. Please refrain from insulting users and simply report any posts you feel violate the rules.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Very well. I'll be more careful next time.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

It's just a silly moniker based on the fact Christine Marie Cabanos voiced both Madoka and Symonne. It's not a comparison of character traits.

I think it's appearance, too. They basically have the same hair style, and similar builds.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Anyone reading spoilers in a thread specifically for a series is not expecting to find spoilers for unrelated shows. So moving forward please refrain from posting spoilers to unrelated shows in series specific discussion threads. Thanks.

that's insta (short) ban in anime forums, since the whole deal there is talk about anime plots, so spoilers are really, really bad.

funny thing in a videogame forum I frequent, some dude spoiled an anime with manga info yet did not even get a slap in the wrist, yet they perma banned someone for spoiling star wars stuff Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19