• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yowamushi Pedal New Generation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashymo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
He didn't have it in the flashback though, which seemed to take place well after the Inter-High.

Must be an anime mistake, he's supposed to wear a helmet in the flashback which doesn't show what type of hairstyle he has, until his race against Naruko. In the new Interhighspoiler[ he'll grow again, but in the recent chapters he shaved again along with his other teammates.]
And it's not the first time the anime has messed up hair styles and hair color so. The biggest exemple being Kuroda, the new vice captain of Hakone. They changed his supposedly white hair into brown in the previous season, although they corrected it in Grande Road episode 18 I think.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Are we talking about the same flashback? He was taking off his gear and bandages, so he wouldn't still have his helmet on. Not only that, but the white shows through his helmet (like Naruko's red spikes poke through). Up until the metamorphosis, all Midousuji's helmet openings are black (i.e., his visible hair is black). Immediately afterward, the center opening is white. So it seems to me that, manga notwithstanding? the anime intended for us to think that was part of his "new" form. Which is hilarious. Smile

Quote:
Midousuji's bet, on the other hand, is so over-the-top that you know it's insincere.

I don't know about that. I think when he saw Naruko was actually serious, he decided he needed to get serious too, and bet something that he had to win to keep his head from splitting in two (foreshadowing? Wink ). I think if he had lost, he would've honored the bet. It's not like he hasn't been on the edge of quitting before.
Ashymo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Are we talking about the same flashback? He was taking off his gear and bandages, so he wouldn't still have his helmet on. Not only that, but the white shows through his helmet (like Naruko's red spikes poke through). Up until the metamorphosis, all Midousuji's helmet openings are black (i.e., his visible hair is black). Immediately afterward, the center opening is white. So it seems to me that, manga notwithstanding? the anime intended for us to think that was part of his "new" form. Which is hilarious. Smile

Quote:
Midousuji's bet, on the other hand, is so over-the-top that you know it's insincere.

I don't know about that. I think when he saw Naruko was actually serious, he decided he needed to get serious too, and bet something that he had to win to keep his head from splitting in two (foreshadowing? Wink ). I think if he had lost, he would've honored the bet. It's not like he hasn't been on the edge of quitting before.

Read chapter 278 and you'll see that the mohawk is not part of his evolution, but is his actual hair. Beware spoilers though, the anime has yet to animate that chapter.
The way anime interpreters things should not be taken as canon, so I don't know what you mean the manga 'notwithstanding'.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It means that the animators did not feel bound by the manga, an attitude I heartily endorse.

And yes, I understood that it's his hair in the anime too. They apparently wanted us to view his hair turning white as an artifact of his transformation. My original question had only to do with what happened in the anime, as I don't care at all about the manga. I ended up answering it myself though. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Yes, this episode was a refreshing return to form, and long overdue. Is this slated for another multi-cour, ~50 episode run?

Heartwarming to see Onoda trying to be serious senpai, and inadvertently scaring the first years to death, a la Kinjou. My only disappointment was not getting to see Kaburagi and Danchiku's reactions when they realized their mistake. That was a setup with no payoff.

With so many promising newcomers and Sugimoto, it's hard to see how they'll deal with them all in a satisfying way when there's only one open slot available.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

With so many promising newcomers and Sugimoto, it's hard to see how they'll deal with them all in a satisfying way when there's only one open slot available.

I really want to root for Sugimoto but it seems pretty obvious that those first-years have a lot more main character potential. Even little brother has a more outstanding character design and the role of plain-looking underdog is already occupied by Onoda. So i fear that poor Sugimoto is screwed...which is a shame because i really like his relationship with his brother, it's refreshing for a sports anime that there doesn't seem to be any particular rivalry, instead they really care about and support each other.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
I never thought they'd give us a glimpse of the now-college Kinjou and co. That's pretty cool, though I wonder how they will juggle between the high school and college characters. I certainly am interested to see the college characters but it'll be a bit problematic if it cuts into too much time of the main Sohoku story.

Onoda is so adorable. Period.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
I never thought they'd give us a glimpse of the now-college Kinjou and co. That's pretty cool, though I wonder how they will juggle between the high school and college characters. I certainly am interested to see the college characters but it'll be a bit problematic if it cuts into too much time of the main Sohoku story.

Onoda is so adorable. Period.

so kinjou and arakita did not die, they just trascended to another level of existance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know about you, but Sugimoto and Imaizumi's friendship came completely out of left field for me. Imaizumi is so standoffish that it took him a while to warm up to even Onoda...

Based solely on screen time, yes, but I think we've been given enough to fill in all the blanks. For one thing Imaizumi is not the same guy he was at the start of the series. Onoda and the rest of the team have changed him (as has Hime! Wink ), along with the experience of the Inter-High and just being a year older.

For two, Sugimoto has changed too, being the one to swallow his pride to ask for Imaizumi's help, and realizing that with his brother there watching now, he's going to finally have to put up or shut up. The new and improved Imaizumi -now with senpai mode! - can't help but respond to that. But I don't think his way of comforting Sugimoto was at all out of character for him.

Ah, poor Sugimoto, that was heartbreaking. T.T So the other two mini-stories we got were quite welcome. Especially Kaburagi and Onoda's training. Of all the sports tropes I love, my favorite is being underestimated and delivering the shock and awe to the naysayers. Smile It was especially fun with Onoda's teammates knowingly imagining how it would go down. I can't wait to see how Kaburagi reacts to being initiated into the Knights of Hime! Laughing
escahime65

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
Man, I loved this past episode! It was an emotional rollercoaster!

I really felt bad for Sugimoto after he tried so hard and just couldn't pull it off. I kept asking myself who would be the one to break it to him that he lost. I wanted Teshima to do it since he was the captain but I was impressed that Sugimoto figured it out himself. His character has really developed. When the first year came to him to pay his respects you see Sugimoto lift his hand like he is about to make some excuse like he has so many times before, but then he drops it and tells him to support Imaizumi instead. That selflessness is great. I still hope we see more of him in the future.

I too love the trope of being underestimated and then blown away. That kid's face when he saw Onoda take off was great! Onoda's humility is so cute too.

Then we finally see Kinjou again and my favorite jerk with a heart of gold Arakita! There is life after high school! I can't wait to see them race together. I am counting the days till the next episode!
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Ep. 11 was a great episode.

It ended pretty much how I expected, but he made a great effort for someone who probably doesn't have the genes to be a really good road racer.

I do like these college scenes. It's nice not to have the characters drop off the face of the earth. I wonder if these scenes were in the manga, too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Yeah, I loved the gag about Manami's "wings." Inflatable Aoyagi was just weird. Smile

Definitely wondering what's up with Midosuji's masseur. Having one on your team seems like a definite advantage.

On a more realistic note, re the flat tire, could they have swapped out one of the other rider's tires and let that person wait for a new one (if they weren't so fixated on needing to be 6) to let the ace + 4 go ahead? Anyway, the water bottle trolling was fun.
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 12

Yeah, I loved the gag about Manami's "wings." Inflatable Aoyagi was just weird. Smile

Definitely wondering what's up with Midosuji's masseur. Having one on your team seems like a definite advantage.

On a more realistic note, re the flat tire, could they have swapped out one of the other rider's tires and let that person wait for a new one (if they weren't so fixated on needing to be 6) to let the ace + 4 go ahead? Anyway, the water bottle trolling was fun.
I might have to rewatch the episode but about swapping out the tires -- wouldn't the wrench to unscrew the bolt come from the person taking out the tire? I can't imagine riders carrying something to unscrew a flat tire, hence the reason they have non-riders for support(?). Even Teshima's provocation with throwing the water bottle to the leader of the pack can be seen as a strategic move because it puts both mental pressure and decreases the amt of weight he has to carry, if we consider Naruko's attempts to raise his speed vs Midosuji to have been even slightly effective... Also inflatable Aoyagi was so comical but I also came up with vore jokes in my head, which I'm not sure if I should be ashamed of or just brush off.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 12

Real teams *all* have masseuses. You cannot finish a race like the TdF without one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think high schools have it in their budget for official masseurs for their sports teams. Except maybe for baseball-centered schools like Seidou.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4