• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game, Round 16

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
Past results:
Round 1<
Round 2<
Round 3<
Round 4<
Round 5<
Round 6<
Round 7<
Round 8<
Round 9<
Round 10<
Round 11<
Round 12<
Round 13<
Round 14<
Round 15<
__
RULES - Quotes:

1. Only one person at a time may have an active quote. In an open turn (see below) the first quote posted is active. Otherwise only the person who correctly guessed the previous quote may post one.

2. An open turn is in effect if a quote goes unguessed for 48 hours or the person correctly guessing the previous quote either says he/she is passing or does not post a new quote within 24 hours.

3. Posted quotes must be distinctive to a particular title or franchise, should not contain major spoilers or profanity (if the latter is unavoidable, it should be censored), and cannot be from a title used in one of the previous four quotes. Both single-line and multiple-line dialogue exchanges are acceptable.

Bad Example: "If you don't come back, I will never forgive you." (Way too many possible sources.)

Good Single-Line Example: "Make a pilgrimage for the past with me."

Good Multi-line Example:
Character A: "What does the scouter say about his power level?!"
Character B: "It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!"

4. As shown above, the entire quote must be bolded for a single line quote and the key line to be identified must be bolded in a dialogue exchange quote. Spolierish character, power, or location names within a quote can be replaced with "[Character B]" or "[spoiler power name]" or something like that, as necessary.

5. Quotes must be given in English and must be from released fansubs, official subs, or official dubs that have been available for a week or more. Specifying whether the quote is from fansubbed, subbed, or dubbed material is required.

6. If the quote used is one that is repeated verbatim by more than one character in the same title then any of the speakers of the quote must be accepted as correct. (Optionally in this case, the quote poster may specify "first speaker" or "general context in which the quote is used" up front.)
_
Rules - Hints

7. Up to four hints may, at the quote poster's option, be provided. They should be staggered over the course of the 48 hours, with 8-10 hour intervals being recommended. While hints are not explicitly required, not providing them for a quote which is clearly difficult is considered unsportsmanlike.

8. Hints must follow the format shown below. Their content should be a substantive clue about one or more of the speaker(s), the source material, or the context of the scene. Don't just restate something that's obvious from the quote! Also, saying that the source title is based on a visual novel or game or something of that nature is acceptable, but making comparisons between the anime and its alternate form isn't. (For instance, "Character A's behavior is very different in the anime than it is in the source manga" is a bad hint.)

Example: Hint #1: spoiler[This is a proper way to give a hint.]

Rules - Answers

9. Answers must be spoiler-tagged or they do not count as answers.

10. Answers must specify the speaker of the bolded quote, the source material, and the context of the scene. To meet the context requirement, two of the following four conditions must be fulfilled:

• Addressee(s) (if single speaker) or other speakers (if multiple speakers)
• Episode # (for series)/how far into the film (for movies or one-shots)
• Why the quote is being said or what it really means
• *When and where it's happening.

The quote poster must accept any answer that meets the minimum requirements but may choose to accept a less than perfect answer on the context. The poster may also allow a guesser who gives a partial answer to clarify before rejecting the answer, provided that another poster doesn't give a more accurate answer first.

Good Example: spoiler[Character A is Kirika and Character B is Mireille, from the scene in Noir at the end of episode 1 where they agree to work together as Noir.]

11. Each guesser gets only one official guess per quote, so make it count!

Lastly - and this is general advice rather than a rule - this game is not meant to be a test of Google-fu. Merely plugging the quote into a search engine, and basing an answer on that, is considered unsportsmanlike behavior. If you're obviously doing this on a regular basis then you may be asked not to participate anymore.

Minigames

Anyone may post a minigame picture while waiting for a winning guesser to post a new quote, but only one may be in play at any time. The point of these is to guess what the character(s) in the posted picture are saying at that point. These do count for points but do not have to be guessed before the next main-game quote, so be sure to catch them before they zip away! Also, minigame pictures that are not guessed before the next quote can be reused.

Scoring

The scoring at the end of 50 pages will be one point per correct guess for a main game or minigame quote in official play.

Finally, should any problems arise, errinundra is the final arbiter of any scoring issues and Key is the final arbiter of any other issues.

Last edited by Key on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
If you are a returning player, please note the changes in red. The ones for answers were done to hopefully cut off some issues that have been occasional problems over time. I also adjusted the wording in a few other places in ways that don't impact the rules and eliminated the commentary spiel normally seen at the end of the initial post, both in an effort to make these rules more concise.

The current turn is murph76's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Minigames

Anyone may post a minigame picture while waiting for a winning guesser to post a new quote, but only one may be in play at any time. The point of these is to guess what the character(s) in the posted picture are saying at that point. These do count for points but do not have to be guessed before the next main-game picture is posted, so be sure to catch them before they zip away!

"Picture" should be "quote."
Also, I think that the intent is that the minigame cannot be answered after the quote is posted. If so I think that it should be made clear in the rule.

I like the new rule for answers.
What I would like even more would be a way to make the game go faster. Unfortunately I cannot think of anything that is practical.

I can seldom make a guess but I am always following the games every day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Here we go, from the official streaming subs:

Character A: I like you a lot [Character B]. I want to be even closer to you. Frankly, I'd love to marry you.
Character B: Then, let's be even closer, okay?
A: U-uh, um, I need to prepare my heart.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
"Picture" should be "quote."
Also, I think that the intent is that the minigame cannot be answered after the quote is posted. If so I think that it should be made clear in the rule.

Typo was corrected. I also made it official that minigame pics can be reused if they're not guessed before the proper quote comes up. (This has long been the rule of thumb anyway.)
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Hint No. 1: spoiler[Character A and Character B are in the same elementary school class.]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
spoiler[A is Saikawa, B is Kanna, from episode 6 of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
Correct

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Dub:

A: Have a drink.
B: I didn't hit anyone.
A: Here. You like sweet things. Sweet drinks taste better, right?
B: I hit the television, that's all I did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[While B is technically telling the truth, his TV-bashing had an unusual consequence that relates to what A is accusing him of.]
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
spoiler[This is Naota (B) being interrogated by Amarao (A) in FLCL. Specifically, earlier, Naota seemingly bashed his father's brains in with a bat. Turns out it wasn't his father, but a robotic double he'd beaten the crap out of.]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Correct! Nicely done.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
From the dub:

Character A: AHAHAHAHAHA! Do I look like a NEET to you? You're kidding me, right? Like, you think I'm some crazy unemployed hermit that hasn't talked to anyone for almost a year!? Or I did something like drop out of college because I can't deal with other people or I've lost all hope because I've been cooped up in my room for the last four years! Am I okay!? Of course I'm okay! I'M F**KING BETTER THAN OKAY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure this is spoiler[Sato from Welcome to the NHK screaming at Misaki and her aunt (but mostly the aunt) when they were walking door to door to try and warn people of the dangers of NEETS and hikikomoris.]

Last edited by rosebrook11 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Yep.

spoiler[At this point in my life, I find that quote very relatable.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 50