• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Streams The Wallflower Anime Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Euggh, this trailer has got to be the worst trailer I've ever seen.

And the term "bishounen" (and any other Japanese terms that actual Japanese don't use but Americans adopted to seem more "cute" or "edgy" or whatever the aim is) makes my skin crawl, so seeing it on the front of the DVD is upsetting. I visibly winced every time the guy in the trailer tried to say "bishounen" and mispronounced it horribly. The trailer's scripting/voicing is so terrible that I can't believe ADV let it slide.

That aside, it looks like an interesting show -- but the trailer did the opposite of what trailers are supposed to do and made me want to watch it LESS.

Oh well. Just my two and a half cents.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I like the Ringu spoofs. Nabe-san might have convinced me again.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, what the hell is a "bye-show-nen"? You'd think they could've tried to actually pronounce the word correctly (that's the main thing that bug me about dubs... the total butchering of Japanese words). That was a terrible trailer. I'm guessing it was supposed to be funny, but that was awful. I got bored of the manga, but was sort of interested in the anime since it hopefully has an end before I got bored, but this, like domino said, actually made me want to watch the anime LESS.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Yuck I like this show but it's a terrible trailer. Aside from the mispronounciations it's pretty inaccurate. The animation quality is terrible. I got used to it but they need to be lower expectations in that regard not raising them.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh goodness, I had to watch the trailer after coming here and seeing the "bye-show-nen" comment... I had to hear that for myself, and I just paused, laughed, and had to explain to my boyfriend why I was laughing Rolling Eyes

Yeah that... is a pretty bad trailer, but it's entirely because of the voice-over... they should just replace the voice-over with some music and random worded black screens and that would probably do a lot better...
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so it looks like everyone has been complaining about the "bishonen."

Maybe the trailer announcer guy had to been new, or it could've been a new director. Who knew what circumstances, but The anime still looked interesting to me.

My friend always bugged me about reading the manga, and I didn't.

Either way, it's bilingual, if the English sucks, there's always the Japanese side. But usually ADV has good VAs, so I'll keep my ears open.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Or mabye it was just all part of the humour of the trailer itself? It's pretty tongue in cheek ["quality animation"]. This is also popping up on the ADV preview disc that ADV's slipping into some of their Oct releases..... Nabeshin style Shojo just has to be a wrong all of it's own...... it'll be worth checking out at some point.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Paploo: Supposedly he played it straight(no pun intended) on Gravitation.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Wow...I actually enjoyed that trailer. Even though I can speak beginner Japanese I probably wouldn't have noticed the mipronunciation.

Seems like some of you were kinda nit-picky there.
I can't wait to own this. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Paploo: Supposedly he played it straight(no pun intended) on Gravitation.

Looks at the trailer again, it didn't have narration, so I guess this means ADV's making multiple trailers- a nice sign for promoting it. This one was around the same bent though.

I'd forgotten he'd directed that, though knowing people who like Gravi, I'm not sure how they'd take to having NB pop up in it to break the 4th wall [then again, does he?]

It's also wierd to see him pop up in other anime series outside of those he directed- I'm pretty sure he pops up in an episode of Real Bout High School.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm a fan of the Wallflower manga, and am patiently waiting for the next book to be released, but I watched the first episode of it on Youtube a long time ago and I did not like it. It was definitely not what I was hoping for, especially since the characters look weird, and the animation is... eh.

I'll probably just stick to buying the manga for now and wait for the thinpak to come out or something.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Yuck I like this show but it's a terrible trailer. Aside from the mispronounciations it's pretty inaccurate. The animation quality is terrible. I got used to it but they need to be lower expectations in that regard not raising them.

You realize that when they mentioned awesome animation the onscreen was one of the scenes with the guys animated as stick figures, right?

It's actually a pretty awesome trailer if you just accept the notion that every bit of it is played for laughs.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
How does this show compare to the original manga? I wasn't crazy about the manga at all--read the first four volumes or so and kinda tossed it aside. (The "bye-show-nen" weren't all that attractive to me, so that was a huge part of it. I liked Sunako, though.) But if the anime is a little different, I might try it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Euggh, this trailer has got to be the worst trailer I've ever seen.

And the term "bishounen" (and any other Japanese terms that actual Japanese don't use but Americans adopted to seem more "cute" or "edgy" or whatever the aim is) makes my skin crawl, so seeing it on the front of the DVD is upsetting. I visibly winced every time the guy in the trailer tried to say "bishounen" and mispronounced it horribly. The trailer's scripting/voicing is so terrible that I can't believe ADV let it slide.

People prefer ADV's Saiyuki dub even though the Geneon dub says all the names the same as the Japanese dub which means, yeah, they were mispronouncing more than a few words.

Strangely enough, I manage to catch the term bishonen popping up in a few anime. It's just not a term that comes up as often in a show as much as it would be used to promote a show.

Gravi was far from straight, but I don't recall Nabeshin popping up in stuff until Ecel Saga, but I wasn't looking. Gravi isn't "straight" in either sense of the word--there's a fair amount of crazy humor down to the American manager rarely seen without a gun, holes get punched thru walls, cosplay. The manga is crazier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1