• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puzzle & Dragons X (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I wonder why they blacked out his face until we met him? I don't think he's been shown before, so we wouldn't recognize him anyway. Even if it was important to hide his identity for some reason, they could've just done it with shot framing. Weird.

Nice village though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
The shadowed out face was a bit weird, but I think they were trying to hide him as looking dependable from Charo's stories to being a bit of a nerd like with his glasses. There was probably something better they could have done. Kind of related is that the OP has actually been having some small changes through the series, as what I am guessing are people with the title of Ancient One have been introduced they have been added to the OP song. At the start there were a bunch of people with shadowed out faces in hooded cloaks and one by one we can see their faces, including Endora, and I guess next week will add Torlie instead of the taller guy in green hood to the right.

For Garnet "Bros before hoes" means something different, with her bailing on her supposed new bestie of Endora for the prospect of going after a supposed hunk, she even had a CD about it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

Been waiting for Haru to return, and at least she did somewhat when they got back to his hometown. In doing so the episode was also somewhat like the first episode, well when the showed the clip from the first episode it was notable that the following episodes have not had the level of animation and excitement that the big urban night battle did. But when there was another similar night battle in the streets with the SDF hopelessly trying to get involved, now with Ace doing the fighting with his homies, they did seem to bump it up, and the reaper guy actually looked threatening.

Weird how that bold guy is apparently a daganoid, while every other dragonoid seems to have horns he only has slightly pointed ears and I think his eyes are different from a human.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
I feel like I should've realized he was a Dragonoid a long time ago, but somehow it never clicked. It took me long enough to even figure out that Lance isn't human. Smile

How was he having trouble finding enough drops when there was a raging drop storm going on? oO He was pulling them out of thin air back in episode 1.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

There was actually some pretty creepy use of music here, kind of reminded me of ghost stuff in Pokémon.

As soon as the strange guy showed up out of nowhere to explain the history my response my response was, "Yeah, this guy is definitely not a ghost." Rolling Eyes . I am probably a bit too used to the twist.

Oh, and the Donny/Jonnie/Danny thing was funny, especially in how it was used to keep breaking the tension.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, obvious ghost was pretty obvious. Smile But I actually really enjoyed that episode. So...was the Toyceratops controlling the scarecrow? oO

The Donny bit was like "Zura ja nai, Katsura da!" for kids. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

This episode was a bit weird, Ace and Tamazou were working alone with Lance without any reference to where Charo and Tiger were. The tournament plotline has been coming up, so some mention that they decided to separate for a bit to train individually would have worked. With the next episode looking like a flashback to Lance and Devi's relationship, it kind of makes feel a bit awkwardly placed they, like they wanted to build up to that story, they had this idea for a story, but did not know what to do with the other two characters.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Did he keep the white dragon that teamed with him once the battle was over, or did it get to go home with the big one and the other babies?

It seemed like the bad guy was a Dragonoid or whatever like Lance and the bald guy. So I guess that makes him extra-evil.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

Well, Tiger's gone and we spent this episode on Garnet's backstory, so they seem to have forgotten all about whatever Devi's up to behind Lance's back.

Looks like the Academy will need to get a new Valkyrie. Was she a dragon? Can dragonoids become drops or whatever they call it when they turn into stones for the pokedex?

And for like the third series just this season, we have a character singing a song with lyrics that are probably important but no subtitles. At least they made the music sound like it was on a house PA system and not with full soundtrack acoustics.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Looks like the Academy will need to get a new Valkyrie. Was she a dragon? Can dragonoids become drops or whatever they call it when they turn into stones for the pokedex?

The forest Ancient turned into a drop despite being a dragonoid, right? But I assumed that Valkyre was a monster despite the lack of any real features to that. I actually had the same response that they just lost their guardian.

What I am kind of uncertain about is what was the deal with Garnet. It sounded like she was treated harsher than the other students and had the expectation of taking part in the test, being the only one that year. They said something about her not being in control could be dangerous, I just wonder what that all meant. It is not like it has been mentioned that Ace's natural talent could be dangerous. Also, how old is Garnet, based on what we saw may likely be the same age as other graduates of the school?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 26

That was quite a power-up all around. I do like how straightforward Tamazo is about his feelings when called out on his behavior. Just blurts out everything, no beating around the bush. Smile

The live action dancing ED was fun. I didn't know this was popular enough to motivate people to do that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The live action dancing ED was fun. I didn't know this was popular enough to motivate people to do that.

Yeah, it was kind of cute. Okay, it felt a little awkward for me, I tend to with live action stuff, but it was nice to see a fan base, and I thought it interesting that there was indeed a dance to the ED.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 37

We have been in a tournament arch for the last while. But Ace just became stupidly powerful. It got a bit Dragonball there for a while.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
No kidding. I wasn't sure at first if his gauntlets changing was a power-up or rust. Smile Then when he seemed to be stronger, I thought the former. Then when everyone started talking about it, the latter.

It seems pretty stupid to have him win this battle at this stage, but it looks like that's what's coming. I suppose if it wipes the smirk of old Ram-head's face, I can live with it. Don't like the look in Ace's eye at the end though. Maybe he'll lose because Phoenix deserts him for becoming too power hungry or something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 39-40

And they're back! So they blew up the arena and nobody won. I guess if you've only got one Egg to award, you really can't say it was a draw and share the prize. Was that King in his dream? Have we seen King yet? Can't remember.

And Morgan's missing and Tiger and Charo are written out of the plot again. I didn't expect HeroDragonoid to end up in an evil plot - I thought he was just comic relief.

Did Ram-head kill the Bird Lady? Probably not, but I guess he's finally coming out as evil. I'm shocked, shocked!

The new dance is hilarious, especially with Lance doing it, since he's always so super-serious. At least they don't make him happy-slap his butt like Ace does. Smile It seems simple enough for little kids to learn easily, so I'm looking forward to the live action with kids dancing. If they did that, it would be ridiculously cute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5