• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gabriel DropOut (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
I thought that seeing Satania's version of a Christmas cake was funny, and eating Santa decoration. It is especially funny from Vigne being the strange one for being a demon so into Christmas, that they try to brainwash Satania over it, and Raphiel teasing Vigne about it just as much.

And Satania trying to sneak into heaven. Laughing

Quote:
Is it just me, or does Satanichia have hands down the best fashion sense of the group? She always looks adorable and like she puts effort into her appearance lol just find that funny, her of all the characters.

In general Satania tends to look good with her outfits. I remember when we saw her in pyjamas with wings and a cap thinking that she does appearance wise usually look the most entertaining.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Definitely an amusing episode. So funny that the only time we ever see any evidence of Vigne's demonic nature is when somebody tries to interfere with her enjoyment of things like Christmas. If anybody could sneak into Heaven successfully, it would be her.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
That slow state of shock she reached when Satanichia ate the edible Clause - priceless!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I think Vigne and Raphi definitely need to switch career paths with each other!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Pretty funny episode. Gab's imouto = adorable. But yes, Heaven is quite clearly stuck in the Showa era. Didn't get to see her older, college-age sister but maybe next time. Satanichia's brother's face as he listened to his family - priceless. It must be torure being the only non-fantastist of the bunch. Satanicha's familiar, Alexander - adorable. Raphi's perverted, masochistic female butler - hilarious. Raphi's non-committal, smiling face every time the Principal looked over at her during Gab's "I saved two countries" report - hysterical.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, great episode. I thought Alexander, Satania familiar, was the best, totally adorable and hilarious when it played dead when faced with Chappy. And Satania's family, I had to go back a bit when I realised the optical illusion.

And Raphiel's butler, it would figure a high class sadist would have a masochistic butler. I think that it managed to stay fun by her being female. Kind of reminded me of the maid from Seitokai Yakuindomo (on the pervy side), or Stella from Haganai.

Bored? Sneak a devil into heaven.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The odd facial expressions Gabriel made might be the most effort we've seen from her, when it comes to something other than video games lol

Ah, Satanichia never fails to entertain, and now she even has a minion! Let's hope it's not the last we see of Alexander. I found it hilarious that her family runs and lives in a bakery, though I did want to see how other demon adults handle her parents strange personalities (or are they completely different during business hours??). I doubt adults who give themselves background music can behave normally though Smile

Another great episode. And, at this point, I think we can all agree that the angels are the series weak point, and the demons it's strong.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Sadly did not get to see Satania's next attempt at infiltrating heaven, we kind of just went back to the mundane world. Although the ending of the episode does promise something for next week brought up from the previous week, Gabriel's older sister. What we did get this week was that Satania really does care about the dog. Also had the return of Tapris, who I think had a good segment on really the challenges of coming across something like a computer for the first time that we kind of just take for granted. Funny how she seemed to take learning beyond just understanding how to use one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
Yes, I was disappointed to not see Satania's infiltration attempt, too. Looking forward to seeing what Big Sis is like.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Two parts from this episode caught my attention a lot. The first is during that montage when Satania was on her journey to find that dog a new home. I mean yeah, it was so that she could make that dog her "familiar" but still kinda heartwarming.

The second is the part where Tap had trouble using a computer. That was so priceless to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
EPISODE 12

And this is why I love Gabriel Dropout Smile Had me laughing from beginning to end this episode, and so glad to see every character we've come across so far drop in with their shtick (which surprisingly still hits!) before the end. I kinda wanted Zelel to move in with Gabriuel at the end there, just to kinda change up the group dynamic a bit for possible future material, but, hey, it is what it is. This doesn't seem like the kind of series to get a second season, anyhow.

Was a huge fan of Gabriel Dropout before the anime began, and pleasantly surprised to see how well-received it turned out to be. I see the name mentioned everywhere anime related I go. Honestly, I thought most people wouldn't like it Anime hyper But, a lot of it has to do with the great directing throughout each episode, playing out every joke carefully to maximize entertainment. Thank you Masahiko! Job well done to him and the VAs.

Gonna miss seeing Santanichia every Monday, but we still have the mangas, and I can't wait to own the Blu-Ray!

My Fanboy Grade: 10/10!
Actual Grade: 8/10 (still great)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I rated this show Very Good. It really delivered on the comedy and was one of my "can't wait for" titles each week. Winter 2017 was a great one for comedy: this, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Interview with Monster Girls, Little Witch Academia and, to a certain extent, Urara Meirochou. Even Masamune-kun's Revenge, although not in the same tier, had its moments as did Seiren The winter did not hurt for laughs, for sure.

Looks like Satania saved the day - or rather her trusty "familiar." Seems appropos. Really enjoyed the interplay of these characters and if there isn't a Gabriel Dropout 2, at least give Satania and Vigne their own spin-off show!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I think that my favourite parts of the episode were of Zelel totally seeing through Gabriel, not being fooled by her. Despite her being a new character, she perfectly played again what we had seen of Gabriel and turned her scheming nature back onto itself, especially that part where she think she has her sister fooled before Zelel showed that the barrier was pointless. I would even go on further and say that Zelel did not even get fooled by Gabriel saying she especially wanted to stay because of her friends, because I was think that it was probably honestly the truth that she actually does like them, and yet all of them think she was lying. And then Zelel loses it from the dog. Laughing

Really I think that this has been a good series, that is a good comedy. And in terms of it as an anime it goes on the list of good comedies by the director, Masahiko Ohta, where he really seems to know how to do these kind of comedies, along with Himouto Umaru-chan, Love Lab, Mitsudomoe, Survival Game Club, and Yuru Yuri. But credit can be dealt out to a lot like the general art which was consistent and fun, strong voice actresses who did well in their roles, an in general it was all fun, with a bit of bite. Not entirely relevant, but I just checked out a video of the full OP song with the lyrics, I indeed laughed when seeing that it has things like Gabriel saying she sounds angel like while singing a certain way as she does it, and them saying things like they are forgetting their lines and despite all that they can be "happy" because have some fun. And I think that is the humour or theme of the show of mucking around a bit, maybe being innapropriate for expectation of what being a proper person should be, but overall it is all in the name of fun. And a character like Gabriel does still have a heart.

It was overall a fun and well presented show. And before the end have to pick out Satania as undoubtedly being the most fun part as a little ball of derp that still was pretty likable. She does feel like a good part that I can only think she is not the main from being afraid we would get tired of her. I would also say that despite being a bit outdone by the highly thought of Kobayashi-san this season, I don't think that this show did not have jokes that did not land and were actually unlikable like some of the boob jokes in that show. I give a rating of Very good (8/10), I enjoyed it, I could see more being done if they so choose, but there is no requirement otherwise. I do recommend Gabriel DropOut to those who want a little laugh.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Well I think the finale was funny overall.

Gab's sister gave a scary aura at first but the way that she got so scared of that dog was hilarious. Satania got made fun of again even in the finale. I think the show really subverted her role as a "devil" as she is usually the one that gets pranked or lands in misfortunes.

Overall, funny show. Got my dose of laughs from this. Satania became my favorite character from the start and lasted to the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toprak

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
Ep 1
I suppose it is really similar Himouto! Umaru-chan as degenerate MC, Also similar Yuri Yuri, probably we'll see yuri things~~ it's similar Machikado Mazoku as plot theme as well. Let's go to review the ep 1.
Gabriel is a graduated angel which is succesful, hardworking, eager beaver. She has transferred to human world to continue her academic study with her angel friends, but our angel is becoming junkie of computer games. I guess it's enough to summarize the episode.
My Thoughts
Yes, I like the art style, character design, plot pacing (for that ep.), color pallettes also cute girls ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
7/10
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4