• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece, Tsubasa, xxxHOLiC Movies to Screen at NYAF

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
So this preview must mean that BangZoom's finally going to release Adventures in Voice Acting? 'bout time!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
The One Piece movie and Adventures in Voice Acting are my primary interests. I can't wait to erase 4kids version of the Alabasta arc from my memory. How they could take good VAs and make them sound so awful is just beyond me.

I've been excited about the Adventures in Voice Acting since it was announced a while back. My English dub fan heart is all a pitter-patter.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I can't wait to erase 4kids version of the Alabasta arc from my memory. How they could take good VAs and make them sound so awful is just beyond me.

It's nice to see someone lift the blame off the VAs for once over that dub!

And, yeay, glad I'm not the only one anticipating AiVA!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
I've heard several of the VAs from the 4kids dub in other English dubs and they were fantastic. I've always blamed 4kids first and foremost for any problems. (Well, except for David Moo. Personally, I just don't like his voice period.)

For instance, Karen Neill is Vivi in 4kids and sounds awful. I mean, I hate her Vivi. But she's also Sayoko Mishima in Ah My Goddess, a performance I adore. She sounds far more like a princess in Goddess than she ever did as Vivi and I blame 4kids for that.

There's Veronica Taylor, who does the much-maligned "Southern Fried" Robin in the 4kids dub. She's excellent in the short Kakurenbo as Sorincha and as Aoi Matsubara in To Heart. (I also liked her as Himiko Himejima in Legend of Himiko but that anime isn't exactly one I'd recommend.) Another victim of "Pun-Piece."

The VAs weren't the problem for the most part. I think the director, under orders from Al Kahn, made them suck.

Even Marc Diraison, seen by many as the perfect actor for Zoro, doesn't sound half as good in that role as he does in non-4kids work. I mean, his role as Shirakawa-sensei in Piano sounds tougher than his role as a three-sword weilding warrior. He gave the best performance they'd allow him to and, if not for suck-scripts requiring him to actually bark and spout puns like everyone else, he would have been the perfect Zoro.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
i really gotta see if i can go to this con.
Becki_Kurosaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
As I've been looking forward to both the Nana movies and Tsubasa/xxxHolic, and I'm living in New York for college right now, I'm definitely going to be there! *_* I'd been planning on going to that con anyway, but now I have further incentive. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1