• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rewrite (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I guess the last bit of the spoilerish synopsis wasn't really all that interesting after all. Everything felt rushed towards the end and stuff happened in a not so interesting way (also, rather anticlimatic).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I gave this show a rare (for me) Bad rating. I had rated the first Rewrite as So-so, but then this season didn't even bother to deal with the elements I liked from the first season. It really is hard to think of a more pointless follow-up than this. As Cam0 said, absolutely no fun to be had. Good riddance, indeed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (Episode24/ Finale)

I think that with this being another Key anime, it is kind of easy to see where the problem can come from their stories, at least how anime can go. Many people call Clannad and its follow up series as being really good, but from Key has also been things like Charlotte and Rewrite, and I think the problem with them is scale. When we really care about a core cast, that can really sell a story, Angel Beats also did it, but when you scale it up so it is not just about a core cast but the entire planet, it just becomes a bit silly. The core cast in Rewrite were kind of fine, they kind of sold us on the personalities and worries of this group of girls and our ragtag hero, that when they twisted the story into protecting the entire planet and all the characters dying one way or another, it just was not fun anymore.

As kind of terrible and good riddance that you can have with the ending finally here, I will maybe go against the grain and at the very least say I think the song we had at the end was wonderfully sad and I felt emotions when we had Kotarou and running up to Kagari and them kissing. It was actually just this group of people and not some distracting story that it really the scale of which is hard to wrap your head around. All those world scale things are distracting, this second season deprived us of the characters we maybe grew to care about in the first season and got all angst with things just being the worst. Like the only things that maybe could have saved it were bonds he made with people like the kids he saved in the warzone or little Kotori back in the city, but Kotarou avoided the kids and was a bit of a dick to, not really showing a bit of love to her or her situation after she being really close to him in the first season.

This has not at all been a step in the right direction I think to make something enjoyable, with so many things like monsters and I think the action being a distraction to the things it might have had right at its core. It is not fun being told that our main character for the mass majority was some sort of zombie, and that kind of comes from him in this second season having such views against Kotori's parents in this season. Maybe there was a nice environmental message in here, I myself care about the environment so I can get behind it, but there has to be a better way to go about it than this.

In the end I give this second season a rating of Not really good (4/10), lower than I gave the first season, but not outright hatred because regardless of everything I am kind of a sucker for this kind of thing, and I think there were some interesting points in it, even if at the end I will still call it a disappointment.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So can anyone comment on how much this season followed the VN? I just spent the day getting caught up on it after lagging several episodes behind, but I haven't seen any discussion about this in the last couple of pages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
It's been a couple of years since I went through it but this season matches my memories of the moon and terra VN routes pretty well. At the very least I'm almost certain this season hit all of the major beats from those routes. All the stuff about him going to a warzone, working with Kagari, betraying both sides, etc. was straight from the source. The sort of tonal whiplash between the shows 2 seasons was very much a thing in the source too although less pronounced since each individual route had its own fairly distinct tone and style whereas the 1st season stayed more in line with the feeling of the VN's common route.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6