• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Interesting reveal, that many of the other groups saw through the power play of one of the districts and used the event really to just say that they could do it if they wanted and Schwan should go along with it if. It was kind of a nice ending, but as nice as it was I was not quite happy with talk of what happens next epilogue in a sort of ass pull like way such as recluse country suddenly opening up and poor country starting to make it rich.

In general I will say that ACCA has some style, but in the end it means nothing to me because I felt that the style underlines a certain level of lack of substance. Sounds like a stupid and unreasonable reasoning, the show was big in political intrigue and it was all about little bits of substance of characters and different culture. But a big one is that I feel that for a series so much about things like corruption, I feel like it was actually doing a pretty awful job at the inherent corruption surrounding the main character, that it looked poor that he was not really finding anything while he is pretty clearly taking bribes. Most though won't recognise it, that he is not hurting anyone and everyone is all smiles, but that is it, the show itself is not realizing the actual terrible acts of corruption attached to someone meant to weed it out, and instead romanticised quite a bit. Later parts of this episode had Jean at his desk and smoking, romanticised, but I can't imagine people would really all be gung-oh as their boss breathes cancer all over them. Corruption is all over this show including good bits, cigarettes are expensive because the king made it so when he wanted to quit, Jean's mother's escape from the family is pretty shady in general, Jean was being spied on by a man who infiltrated his high school.

The show itself is pretty dirty with sexism, or at least their in general culture is and the show idolises it. The show tried to pretend that it was balancing the scale by making one of the countries Amazonian like where the women seem to think the men are inferior, you could see the episode where one of the women pretty much looks down on them. But that does not fix things as two wrongs don't make a right, and one sexist country doesn't match up to the twelve others, making one good nation. The female boss character is specifically mentioned as coming from that country, noted as the first female in her position. If anything it feels like the show wanted to do all these cute things with all of these male characters, then throw in some female empowerment characters and with subtleness match the mostly male show with this feeling of a lone woman fighting against odds to get to the top, something that happened in the last moments actually of this episode. But as much as that is meeting some idea of cool that would get a certain audience, along with the idolisation this show puts it is actually kind of poisonous, there really is no attempt in the story to fight against the sexism on display, not something like the lower level members of Jeans group who happen to be rare women wanting higher positions like all of the men. Only women with power is one from an Amazonian country that turn the sexism back on men. Although I guess at this point I just look like some sort of over politically correct person or something.

Animation or art was not that great, I really don't think there was any purpose that it was so common for characters totally losing their faces as they went into the background, like we were seeing the show through the eyes of someone really blind. I would even accuse many of the natures of different districts as being fanservice in nature because no one else is really doing so. The deal really being though that it is not sexual kind and for women, that it is kind of rarer, but the stereotypes were like, for some reason I feel like saying non-sexual fetishes, probably not describing it correctly but it is something I am feeling. Not that fanservice is inherently a bad thing, but I think it is a point against trying to say that the show is really being so sophisticated.

Honestly I did not foresee some of the twists with Jean until I read it in the review thread, which is kind of cool, but clearly some were easily putting it together. Which it might have been that the show did not have as much interest in me as one might hope, I was not incredibly into it. I give it a rating of So-so (5/10). It didn't really grab my attention, even despite the fact I have written so much about it in this post. I am not really interested in any more, or a show that could be quite similar. It was not bad, but probably just not for me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
I've seen and read some of Ono Natsume's works before. This one was overall interesting as the conclusion imo was fitting after all the buildup and moments that led to the end. Peace is ensured now that the coup is averted and tbh, I'm not surprised at all. I wish I could get invested more into Jean's character though but he stood out as more of a middle ground character to me in the end.

Overall, it was a nice show. Pacing is really slow at first but I accepted it and the more I did, the more I found myself enjoying this. Given the unique animation style and soundtrack (one of the best of this season imo), it's definitely worth checking out.

Rating it as very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2