• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
This second to last episode seems to be getting meme'd rather easily due to spoiler[Sorey going all Captain Planet at the end].

I have to wonder, when Sorey mentioned spoiler[that the only reason Heldalf came so far north to such a desolate part of the world was to avoid hurting so many people with all his gathered Malevolence, was that so we could see Heldalf still had some shred of his humanity left and sympathize with him despite that it's out of context for our dear Dark Leomon? He doesn't seem like he gives much of a flip about anything anymore, considering he was cursed to eternal loneliness. In addition, according to the game, the baby Michael sacrificed was Mikleo when he was briefly born human, who had already somehow become a Hellion by that point].

At least we finally get to see spoiler[Maotelus/Laphicet, who has been oddly unmentioned all this time. A shame that even with all that awesome purifying power he gained at the end of Berseria, it's not enough against Dark Leomon and he just ends up easily captured].
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
How close is the ending of the series is to the game's ending?
Sango chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Waiting a month is nothing. We had to wait 4 months to continue Fate/zero which just stopped in a middle of a fight. The same happened to Fairy Tail where we had to wait a little over a year. to make it more annoying, it stopped in the middle of an arc.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
"Camlann" is the name of the field where Arthur did battle with Mordred, so it's actually a rather morbid name to give a symbol of piece. Michael should have done his homework.

I'm sorta mixed on how Heldalf's origin played out this time. I think they were attempting to "undo" another of the more controversial plot points of the original, namely that spoiler[Lailah knew pretty much everything that was going on the entire time, but forbade herself from telling Sorey because she blamed herself for the path Michael went down, and feared putting too much pressure on Sorey too quickly would lead him to the same end]. Her habit of dropping puns to be evasive never manifested in ZestyCross, but I guess it's because she had nothing to hide this time.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

We may not know until the final episode, because there's a few pivotal events that happen in the final battle with Heldalf in the ending. MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS BELOW
spoiler[Throughout the game, Rose has killed in Sorey's place so that Sorey would remain pure as the Shepherd. But in the ending, after having absorbed Sorey and Mikleo's grandfather, the two were forced to kill him in a combo attack. He was also the one who ultimately killed Heldalf's human form.]
In the end, spoiler[so that Maotelus could heal himself, Sorey takes his place and basically disappears from the real world. We're shown that everyone who was human died without seeing Sorey again, with Rose dying of old age and buried in front of where Sorey disappeared, surrounded by friends and the seraphim. It is unknown whether the humans can see seraphim now or not. In the post-credits sequence, he is hinted to have come back after a thousand years and sees Mikleo.]

wolf10 wrote:
"Camlann" is the name of the field where Arthur did battle with Mordred, so it's actually a rather morbid name to give a symbol of piece. Michael should have done his homework.

I'm sorta mixed on how Heldalf's origin played out this time. I think they were attempting to "undo" another of the more controversial plot points of the original, namely that spoiler[Lailah knew pretty much everything that was going on the entire time, but forbade herself from telling Sorey because she blamed herself for the path Michael went down, and feared putting too much pressure on Sorey too quickly would lead him to the same end]. Her habit of dropping puns to be evasive never manifested in ZestyCross, but I guess it's because she had nothing to hide this time.

spoiler[Lailah may not have actually been allowed to talk about the whole history with Michael until Sorey unlocked the story himself. Remember, the seraphim can gain power by giving themselves in to a 'geas' -- an obligation or prohibition that gives them power in return depending on how severe that limitation is (it's where 'Code Geass' got the term from). In the game, both Zaveid and Edna admit to having submitted to a geas themselves, but clearly not to the extent Lailah did as she has the most influence power-wise out of them.
It is likely Lailah's geas that prevents her from speaking to Sorey about their history. Lailah likely tried to obtain that much power to prevent the next Shepherd who would pick up the sword from making the same mistake, but ironically was prevented the easiest solution from doing so by preventing her from talking.]

Unfortunately, this entire history is probably the most disappointing part of the game story-wise, because it was clear from the various story points that Heldalf's history was rewritten over and over and was no longer consistent. Michael's 'wife' became his 'sister', even though in earlier points she was referred as the 'wife', and that rewrite only overcomplicated the already overly-complicated backstory of Heldalf.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
Do you remember where she was referred to as his wife? I remember it going unstated (and being mildly confusing) until it was outright stated that she was his sister, but I don't remember the script changing its mind halfway.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
According to the Tales wikia, it's an error in the translation.

It's Iris Gem: Fyra that gives us the line, which, in the English version, calls her the Shepherd's wife. In the Japanese version, she's described as a woman who seems to be related to him.

It seems that the game was translated in order, and they didn't go back and fix things.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
That would explain why I didn't remember. I played the Japanese version, but didn't put it past myself to remember every minute detail. As the one and only fan of Tales of the Tempest, I have faith in Bamco's last-minute rewrites not leaving holes like that. Thanks for the clarification.

With that sorted out, I'm not really sold on it being a rewrite at all. The ham-fisted theme du jour for Zestiria was about finding your own answer. Michael is meant to represent what would have happened if Sorey let his answer to the duty of the Shepherd be to fight and punish the people responsible for spreading Malevolence instead of fighting Malevolence itself. Michael gave up on that when he decided to punish Heldalf.
kpk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
kpk wrote:

We may not know until the final episode, because there's a few pivotal events that happen in the final battle with Heldalf in the ending. MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS BELOW
spoiler[Throughout the game, Rose has killed in Sorey's place so that Sorey would remain pure as the Shepherd. But in the ending, after having absorbed Sorey and Mikleo's grandfather, the two were forced to kill him in a combo attack. He was also the one who ultimately killed Heldalf's human form.]
In the end, spoiler[so that Maotelus could heal himself, Sorey takes his place and basically disappears from the real world. We're shown that everyone who was human died without seeing Sorey again, with Rose dying of old age and buried in front of where Sorey disappeared, surrounded by friends and the seraphim. It is unknown whether the humans can see seraphim now or not. In the post-credits sequence, he is hinted to have come back after a thousand years and sees Mikleo.]

wolf10 wrote:

spoiler[Lailah may not have actually been allowed to talk about the whole history with Michael until Sorey unlocked the story himself. Remember, the seraphim can gain power by giving themselves in to a 'geas' -- an obligation or prohibition that gives them power in return depending on how severe that limitation is (it's where 'Code Geass' got the term from). In the game, both Zaveid and Edna admit to having submitted to a geas themselves, but clearly not to the extent Lailah did as she has the most influence power-wise out of them.
It is likely Lailah's geas that prevents her from speaking to Sorey about their history. Lailah likely tried to obtain that much power to prevent the next Shepherd who would pick up the sword from making the same mistake, but ironically was prevented the easiest solution from doing so by preventing her from talking.]

Unfortunately, this entire history is probably the most disappointing part of the game story-wise, because it was clear from the various story points that Heldalf's history was rewritten over and over and was no longer consistent. Michael's 'wife' became his 'sister', even though in earlier points she was referred as the 'wife', and that rewrite only overcomplicated the already overly-complicated backstory of Heldalf.

Sounds like to much to handle in just one more 20 minutes episode, so it will have changes for sure, right?
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
its pretty clear that this anime series is more or less not canon to the game. i highly doubt their gonna make the ending to the anime version the exact same as the game hence why their taking a whole month for the final ep. have a sneaky feeling that it will be similar to blood blockade battlefront where that ep will be an entire full hour and have some kind of hint of possible future OVA eps since the anime series still haven't gotten around to purifying eizen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca, just to note, it's Lord of Calamity, not Chaos.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Rebecca, just to note, it's Lord of Calamity, not Chaos.

This has been corrected, thanks for the tip.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25 Review wrote:
The nicest surprise is how Alisha and Rose have turned out – possibly as more than friends.

Oh, I thought that way too. At first I thought it was a bit odd that Rose got so close to Alisha at the dining table. Then by the river Rose closed in and they kinda leaned against each other and then squeezed their arms against each other, and I thought there's something going on there. Rather interesting development, I sort of liked it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I think I physically was about to throw up through half of this episode. I like my sappy ending and all but we didn't really need to spend MOST of the episode on it.

I honestly can't stand how Sorey just does whatever he wants with no consequences. At first he can't move with everyone combined into one body but after that he just breezes through the fight no problem. Then after everyone was low on energy (stated by Rose) he's able to do it AGAIN with no physical issues. Why even pretend like it was a big deal when you are going to ignore it moments later? Then he's able to single handily purify Heldalf over the course of what looks like a couple years. I guess I should also feel happy about Heldalf the guy who was established as being a HUGE asshole gets another shot at life with no consequences either. fudge anime Sorey man. fudge ANIME SOREY.

Overall this anime managed ruin the hopes I had for it after the first season. The first season made changes but none of them took away from the story or characters and was enjoyable as it's own thing. Most of the changes IMPROVED the story. The second season just shit all over the first's good will. Characters can be super naive and get away it, nobody has to learn any tough lessons and everyone can be saved because Sorey said so. Not to mention the Velvet subplot went absolutely NOWHERE and ended being nothing more than cheap advertisement for the game. Most of the characters got zero development in favor of characters who are boring and never change through the story *cough Alisha and Sorey*.

The anime looks good of course but even if you put sprinkles on a pile of shit............it's still shit.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Then he's able to single handily purify Heldalf over the course of what looks like a couple years.

I'm pretty sure you should start multiplying when you say decades... Those sky-scrapers don't come out of the woodwork...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19