• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FunimationNow App Launches in Australia, New Zealand

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
They should fix their garbage website first instead of expanding to other places.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
"Achievement unlocked, you have completed the anglosphere". I suppose they will expand next to scandinavia/germanic states and last but not least to india/pakistan before they start translating to other languages like latin spanish.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
"Achievement unlocked, you have completed the anglosphere". I suppose they will expand next to scandinavia/germanic states and last but not least to india/pakistan before they start translating to other languages like latin spanish.

They seem to be expanding to regions where they already have pre-existing home video and streaming distribution agreements, Anime Limited in the U.K., and Madman in AU/NZ (possibly moving to Universal). Considering CR handles streaming to those other regions, and Funimation doesn't handle their titles in most of those regions, I doubt they will expand there, especially as it could risk their relationship with CR.

Not to mention, it's pretty easy to simply expand regions when the translations, subtitling, and dubbing for the native language is already done. Doing additional work for more languages adds a lot of cost, especially in markets where the Funimation name isn't well known. One of the primary selling points of their streaming service is the availability of English dubs. In markets with other languages, they really don't have anything to differentiate themselves from CR.
TCJJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Finally! This is awesome news. We've finally got some more parity with the US. This makes me happy.

Thorfinn wrote:
They should fix their garbage website first instead of expanding to other places.

I beg to differ (and I guarantee many more people do too). Their website sucks, but it's their work I care more about, and I'm sick of our countries being left out of everything.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

They seem to be expanding to regions where they already have pre-existing home video and streaming distribution agreements, Anime Limited in the U.K., and Madman in AU/NZ (possibly moving to Universal). Considering CR handles streaming to those other regions, and Funimation doesn't handle their titles in most of those regions, I doubt they will expand there, especially as it could risk their relationship with CR.

What's this about Funimation going to Universal instead of Madman? Madman has plenty of problems, but this still concerns me. Though if it means we finally get Blu-Rays for every show instead of just a select few (because yay, HD shows on DVD in 2017 is so awesome), that'd be nice.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
TCJJ wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
They seem to be expanding to regions where they already have pre-existing home video and streaming distribution agreements, Anime Limited in the U.K., and Madman in AU/NZ (possibly moving to Universal).

What's this about Funimation going to Universal instead of Madman? Madman has plenty of problems, but this still concerns me. Though if it means we finally get Blu-Rays for every show instead of just a select few (because yay, HD shows on DVD in 2017 is so awesome), that'd be nice.

I'm pretty sure that it's more a case of Funimation having a tendency to license titles owned by Universal Japan, which are automatically handled by Universal Australia. Not a case of Funi actually going to Universal instead of Madman.

Anyway, as of late, I've been wondering whether my AnimeLab subscription was worth it when I've got Crunchyroll, with Funimation coming out here now, I wonder how that'll impact Madman's AnimeLab?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
@TCJJ

There's been nothing official, but there has been a lot of noise from some of the U.K. Distributors and Funi's relationship with Universal. A former exec from the company was hired by them some time ago, and they switched their distribution to Universal here in North America shortly after that.

Funimation mostly stopped sublicensing titles in the U.K., and now uses Anime Limited to distribute their titles under their own label. Some believe that Funi might now do the same in Australia with Universal (expanding further on their relationship), but it's all just rumors right now. I wouldn't panic or worry at the moment. It may or may not happen.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
TCJJ wrote:
Finally! This is awesome news. We've finally got some more parity with the US. This makes me happy.

Not that it is my wont to be the bringer of bad tidings, but many of our experiences with the service—both within the US and elsewhere—have been less than rosy. It would be fair to say that its main asset lies in its catalogue rather than its stability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Now two new countries can suffer with the same horrible apps that we in the US have had to suffer with for the last four months.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
My Hero Academia Season 1 will be released by Universal in Australia for what seems to be $85 based on Sanity's website. Which is ridiculous....... I was gonna import the Funimation release anyway but it's still stupid.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
My Hero Academia Season 1 will be released by Universal in Australia for what seems to be $85 based on Sanity's website. Which is ridiculous....... I was gonna import the Funimation release anyway but it's still stupid.

I seen a few things cheaper at Sanity but the store is overpriced by a lot by at least $10 more so then JB. Anime costs a lot but still.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

I am curious how the improved website has resulted in worse performance for me when it comes to the website. I only use the app now because if I try using the site on my computer, it freezes multiple times an episode, and it does not buffer. Heck, at least the old system they had when they first started their own streaming let me buffer, even if it was practically a necessity to get through an episode.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

I am curious how the improved website has resulted in worse performance for me when it comes to the website. I only use the app now because if I try using the site on my computer, it freezes multiple times an episode, and it does not buffer. Heck, at least the old system they had when they first started their own streaming let me buffer, even if it was practically a necessity to get through an episode.

Yeah, I've only ever used the iPad / iPhone app and the Roku TV App and they seem to work fine. The interface could maybe use a few tweaks, but some of that is just personal preference.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
article wrote:
The app also launched in the United Kingdom and Ireland in the same month.

To be strictly true, the UK launch was delayed (again) until April 7th and the iOS app didn't arrive until some time later (can't remember exactly when, and the updates page still says "Coming Soon" for iOs, Fire TV and Windows 10 apps and "Later this Year" for consoles and Roku). We still don't have console apps.

There were initially completely separate UK and IE sites (using the newer backend that the US site now uses and with separate userbases that have now been merged with the US userbase) and separate UK apps for iOS and Android, but those apps have been pulled and replaced with the same app that is available in the US. There was an update to the iOS on the 19th March that "added support for new territories" which I did wonder about at the time. The upshot of that is that AU/NZ are using the same app so, despite what they say, Apple TV should be available already.

TCJJ wrote:
What's this about Funimation going to Universal instead of Madman? Madman has plenty of problems, but this still concerns me.

The only known affected show thus far is My Hero Academia which is coming out through Universal in both the UK/IE and AU/NZ rather than through Anime Limited and Madman (who currently sub-license and/or distribute titles where Funimation is the home video rights holder for said territories).

The titles available in AU should be largely similar to the UK. I have a list (which I haven't updated recently, oops..). Cases where I believe Funimation have rights in only one out of the IE/UK or AU/NZ regions have been marked in red.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jedi Master Kirito

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I am in New Zealand, and while I can now access Funimation.com, I still cannot access FunimationNow (which, I take it, has a much wider range of anime). Support tells me this is to be expected because FunimationNow is an American website. It is, then, more than a little misleading for them to announce that FunimationNow is now available here. Or am I missing something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1