• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iris Cancels North American Boys-Love Mag's Launch

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabi_karasu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Laughing
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Perhaps they were blackmailed by a Christian organization? Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
Not all Christians are anti-yaoi. I'm Christian, and I like yaoi. Rolling Eyes
jokrysu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Why? Confused
maus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote
Lol, I'm not a Christian and I don't like yaoi. Rolling Eyes
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
It's more likely that the company didn't have the money and resources to make the publication. Going too far in pissing conservatives off is a sexy idea, but it's not a likely reason why this mag couldn't get published. If you were at Yaoi-con this year, you'd understand that that content definitely wasn't the reason.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
They might have finally been slapped with the realisation that the whole venture was a non starter when they discovered that the only people that interested to subscribe won't have the capital to do so unless they ask their parents who might not aprove of the content. Like trying to sell alcohol to arabs.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
What's with the lack of sympathy on this thread? There were people looking forward to this and as much I wasn't one of them, it doesn't change the fact there are probably quite a few people who will be very unhappy to read this news.

Also, must everything be blamed, even in jest, on fanatical Christians when something gets cancelled, censored, or otherwise ended? It comes across as quite bigoted if you ask me to blame all problems on Christians.

I'm a Christian, a firm supporter of freedom of speech and expression, and while I'm not a Yaoi fan I'd never support some pointless ban on drawings of fictional men pressing man flesh. With all the bad things that happen in this world, it seems rather pointless to worry about what's taking place in a fictional world.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
They might have finally been slapped with the realisation that the whole venture was a non starter when they discovered that the only people that interested to subscribe won't have the capital to do so unless they ask their parents who might not aprove of the content. Like trying to sell alcohol to arabs.

Not really. Yaoi is much more popular than I thought it was. It seems like pretty much every female anime fan is a fan of either yaoi or shoenen-ai, so I wouldn't think it's a lack of a potential audience that's stopped this magazine's publication.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I also think the title did not help.

North American Boys-Love or NAmBL is a bit close to NAMBLA. And instead of it sounding like a title for people of age, it sounds like something a perv who likes hanging out at the playground would read.

Not that Yaoi is that, but the title is possibly the worst they could do from the perspective of promoting their field in a reasonable manner.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard-
You want a yaoi story with a good plot--Wild Adaptor. I just finished vol 3. Some might argue it's not yaoi, but it runs in Chara, one of the BL anthologies.

As for all the flack about this cancellation, it's just the WESTERN yaoi anthology, IE OEL yaoi. As it is within the general anime/manga communities, there's a large segment of the yaoi audience not interested in yaoi stories not originating from Japan. I find resistance to the Korean stuff like Boy Princess & Let Dai. I'm not saying there aren't fans. Drama Queen also has one.

Most Likely Aurora is choosing to just publish the Japanese titles like the Makoto Tateno they put out this last summer.

Mohawk, there are lots of yaoi fans old enough to buy our own manga. Some of the titles are rated 16+. My teen makes $100-$200 per week on her job so she can well afford what she wants. I've met several moms who don't mind the content & allow their 15+ daughters to read various yaoi titles. They aren't all sex. A fair share of the titles aren't as graphic as you all seem to assume-many are simple little romance titles that don't go past a kiss. Others are in the realm of bedroom scenes in adult tv dramas. And yeah, some have a good amount of sex. Kitty titles seem the best shot for getting titles with the thinnest excuse for a story, but there seems to be a fair amount of manga-kas who enjoy drawing sex scenes such as the interview with Maki Murakami this site linked to recently. Another gal commented she'd love to do 100 pages of sex, but they won't let her.
The stories can be very interesting. I enjoy the humor prevelent in the lighter stuff like Gravitation. The main story in Just My Luck was pretty traditional romance, but I really enjoyed one of the later stories(the last?) for the humor. Othello is more tv drama bedroom scenes, but the first & last stories were very interesting. We have the BL couple of Kazuki & Jubei in GetBackers, the gay Dr. Umeda in Hana Kimi who has managed a few back stories(I love Dr Umeda) From Eroica with Love may not be traditional yaoi, but it is very funny even though we'll probably never see Eroica score the man of his dreams.
tabi_karasu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
tabi_karasu wrote:
Laughing
all i did was put up the lol's cause this article amused me didn't think this would turn into is man on man ok debate. but still Laughing
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I don't think so. While there is certainly an excess of underage yaoi fans out there, it's not like the genre lacks an older audience with their own paychecks. YaoiCon is an 18+ con with a huge attendance of older yaoi fans. Not to mention, it's not like yaoi titles out there on manga shelves in America aren't selling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:33 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
What's with the lack of sympathy on this thread?

To paraphrase Martin Niemöller:

When they came for the hentai fans,
I didn't speak out because I wasn't a hentai fan

When they came for the loli fans,
I didn't speak out because I wasn't a lolicon

When they came for me,
there was no-one left to speak out
Moogle-X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote
It is sad, but it really seems that smaller specialty areas of the anime industry are beginning to suffer as sales trends are going in an exceptional downward spiral.

The problem with BL titles in general is what someone said above: Most interested in BL titles are teenage girls whose parents would never approve in 9/10 cases of their child reading about homosexual relationships (particularly with parents generally having a conservative approach to parenting) and certainly wouldn't pay for a subscription to such a magazine, especially with it arriving in mail with blurbs about what is inside and such all over the cover. Personally, if I had a daughter I'd feel kind of uncomfortable with that coming in my mail. Perhaps if they marketed it in a plain brown wrapper? In all seriousness though, I think perhaps they would do better with an online distribution subscription or perhaps taking a different approach to marketing the book. Japan does tend to be a little more progressive in their publications' variety and content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3