• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman FAQ - How Do I Become A Voice Actor? (Revisited)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Holy smokes. These questions usually get answered in a very just give up and don't even try soul crushing way but this one was actually like uplifting and it'll be hard but try your best imo. Nice one.
Beefy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
One thing I did not see mentioned in the answer was whether getting an agent is still needed or not.

Do dubbing studios still go through agents to find voice actors? Or do studios just do auditions open to anyone who shows up? Or maybe closed auditions for just the "friends of friends" group Justin mentioned?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Beefy wrote:
One thing I did not see mentioned in the answer was whether getting an agent is still needed or not.

Do dubbing studios still go through agents to find voice actors? Or do studios just do auditions open to anyone who shows up? Or maybe closed auditions for just the "friends of friends" group Justin mentioned?

I think it's a mix of those things. I always listen to commentaries, and if someone is new the "How'd you start here?" question comes up. Some of it is open auditions, most seems to be that an established voice actor suggested they audition, or the established actor suggested that a director get in touch with a another actor from a play or the like if the director is struggling to fill a role. I don't think I've heard any say that their agent was contacted, but many, if not most, seem to have at least some level of agency representation.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
You know if you keep shooting down people's hopes of becoming a VA and making it sound like a grunt job, eventually it'll reach the point that there will be no one left to replace the old guard right?

But it's better knowing what you're up against going in rather than being all starry-eyed and finding out the hard way, isn't it? I think only people who can read this and still genuinely give it a shot have an actual chance at surviving the industry.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
You know if you keep shooting down people's hopes of becoming a VA and making it sound like a grunt job, eventually it'll reach the point that there will be no one left to replace the old guard right?

A realistic portrayal of what a person is getting into, and what they need to do, will do more good towards actually getting that person into a flourishing career than filling their head with ideas of overnight, inherently sustainable, success will.

I would encourage anyone who is talented in that area to go into the cosmo industry but I would never pretend that it won't mean hours on your feet, making minimum wage while you build a clientele, and working in one of the most capitalistic industries out there.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Since I don't go to the big cons (save for Phoenix Comic Con), I have been listening to YT videos of con panels for close to 10 years now. The most common questions are variants of "What is your favorite role?" and "Can do you do a line is [character's voice?]". but questions on getting into voice acting are by far more common than these 2.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Meet the right people, Know the right people, Blow the right people.

afraid its more complicated than that. a year ago media blaster's ero sister company kitty media actually announced in their facebook page that they were doing an open audition for one of their newer licensed series. of course i applied, though the emails i received was downright confusing on what to do. the easier part was of course they were only taking people living in the NY/NJ area which wasnt an issue with me since i live in Queens. BUT one of more complicated issues was where you mainly had to have your own recording of performance or something like that. it was way too confusing to me that i pretty much forget it. so i am afraid that meeting and knowing the right people wont cut it right away.

the best bet would be to take voice acting classes at full sail university since its well known that most anime and video game voice actors first started there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
An interesting article but was the bipolar jab really needed? https://twitter.com/CristinaVee/status/847937431156400128
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
Another thing that could be added to the list: Work at a studio and work your way into the job.

Some of them don't admit it, but some voice actors are discovered. (Just like regular actors). You could have a unique voice that get's someones attention. They could be recording and need an emergency replacement and ask you to do some lines. And even smooze your way into getting good with a producer.

No matter what, it boils down in you being in the right place and the right time or selling yourself and show them what you got!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
An interesting article but was the bipolar jab really needed? https://twitter.com/CristinaVee/status/847937431156400128

Thank you for bringing this up, this has been bugging me since she posted that tweet last night.

Yes, it was necessary. Many "problem children" actors do suffer from bi-polar and similar personality disorders, and I personally know of at least 2 instances where an obvious manic jag has completely derailed production on a dub. In one of them, a main character actor went on strike 3/4 of the way through a series and held the show ransom for more money. (He went back after days of drama and legal threats.) If we talk about non-anime dub productions I can name many more, including one of my own student film projects.

I realize Ms. Vee was trying to stick up for her friends, who I'm sure are lovely. However, there's a very thin line between being sensitive and being blind to the very real problems that disorders like this can cause. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2003 and was on medication for about five years. My manic episodes nearly cost me my job on several occasions, to say nothing of the stretches of lethargy that came between them. (I've since mellowed with age, and also my condition was made far worse by untreated sleep apnea... who knew that never achieving REM sleep could completely screw with your brain chemistry?)

So, yes, people are on the lookout for bipolar and other problem-causing personality disorders when looking for talent and other jobs that attract dramatic/artistic types. They don't necessarily call the behavior by its actual name, but sometimes dismiss it as "actor drama" which frankly is insulting to the many many actors that are professional and don't cause problems, regardless of whatever's going on under the surface. That is true, and it was completely appropriate.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

There will always be aspiring actors willing to do voiceover. They just might not be otaku. Honestly, that may not be a bad thing. The current crop of young VAs has a lot of fan girls and fan boys in it. It's great that they bring enthusiasm to their work, but many of them sound "samey" because they were raised watching anime and mimic certain performances styles to an unnecessary degree.
Yes that is starting to become an issue, most, if not all, of the older VAs got in by chance. I've even heard that for some in the very early days it was just because it was the only work they could get. It is a shame that we may not see any more unique voices in Anime.

@jr240483 It was a joke
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:

Link deleted.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Dunno if I'm weird or not, but I have never been interested in any sort of acting, voice acting included. I live in L.A., and when I took an introductory acting class in college as a general-education prerequisite, I got an A, but I'm a low profile sort of person and I don't like having attention focused on myself.

Of course, these voice actors will tend to be low-profile too. Odds are you wouldn't recognize them if you saw them on the streets around here, and they're not going to show off "I'm a voice actor!" wherever they go. But there were definitely at least a few who shopped where I once worked.

D00dleB0Y wrote:
This "Michael" person seems extremely hard to take serious, so I can't even imagine how he's easier to take serious than anyone else who's given you emails.

"I'm really good at it" but has no experience whatsoever. Has a "dynamic voice" and thinks that's enough to make it in the industry. Watches anime (in BOTH subbed and dubbed) and somehow thinks that makes him better than a person with no anime knowledge. Rolling Eyes

Well, at the very least, the tone of the question gives the impression this Michael is willing to try anything to get started on being taken more seriously. He knows it won't be easy, and he knows he doesn't have the first clue what to do, and so he asked. That puts him above all those kids who think they can go look for an audition, win, and become the next convention superstar.

MetalUpa1014 wrote:
I get the sense that most people who ask these kinds of questions are idealistic kids who don't yet understand how difficult, if not impossible it is, to be a successful voice actor in this industry. Then again, I think the even more naive questions (which I'm sure Justin gets plenty of) are the kids asking how they can become anime creators/voice actors in Japan. Eventually they'll have to grow up and face reality at some point. Or maybe not.

That being said, veteran voice actors today like Yuri Lowenthal and Anthony Del Rio were once those starry-eyed kids. What they did was look up and understand inside and out HOW to reach their career goals.

It's no guarantee even if you do that, of course, but it is a better chance than someone becoming a voice actor by accident.

belvadeer wrote:
Some naive and rather stupid anime-loving youngsters think it's crazy, weird or even "demeaning" that the VAs they love hearing in anime would want to do something non-anime, such as in a car commercial (recent examples would be the Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon cast doing the Ford Fusion ads).

To said kids: It's called working hard to earn your daily bread, like what you'll be doing eventually once your parents get tired of you loafing around at home watching anime and playing video games all day.

I was thinking about Steve Blum narrating the "Oh thank heaven!" commercials for 7-Eleven and how half the documentaries on Identification Discovery are narrated by Dave Wittenberg.

One of the Blum-narrated commercials had him use his Toonami Tom voice, and it confuses me every time that commercial shows during Toonami.

Beefy wrote:

I don't know about anime dubbing, but western animation voice work still runs on an agent system. I used to work next door to one.

jr240483 wrote:

the best bet would be to take voice acting classes at full sail university since its well known that most anime and video game voice actors first started there.

Full Sail University is a for-profit school, however. I am not too sure on its accreditation status though, so I don't know how seriously it's taken by the industry. But Cal Arts it is definitely not.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Yes that is starting to become an issue, most, if not all, of the older VAs got in by chance. I've even heard that for some in the very early days it was just because it was the only work they could get. It is a shame that we may not see any more unique voices in Anime.

@jr240483 It was a joke

That's a natural progression in an industry. When it's still a fledgling group of companies, they'll bring in anyone who's interested because they need all the help they can get. When the industry grows and people become interested in working within it, that's when the companies get more selective in who they hire.

There's a kernel of truth in The Simpsons on how Homer Simpson got work at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant: He showed up on the first day they were hiring.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Beefy wrote:

I don't know about anime dubbing, but western animation voice work still runs on an agent system. I used to work next door to one.

Yes, they still go through agents. It gets mentioned every now and then when listening to English dub commentaries. I believe they said you can choose to go without one, but they'd recommend that you do.

Also here's Kyle Hebert's very informative page: Frequently Asked Questions. « Kyle Hebert: Professional Voice Actor
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Well if anyone wants to hear what Robbie Daymond recommends: http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Robbie_Daymond_Interview/index.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3