• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Black Butler: Book of the Atlantic Film for Screenings in Theaters This Ye

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
So glad that Funi got the rights to this! Considering it's an Aniplex title and how they were taking back a lot of their licenses, I was a bit worried that Funi might not have the chance to get this. Really glad that those worries are gone!

I'd love to see this on the big screen, but I just know it won't be shown around here. Funi only seems to air their movies in theaters in big cities, so unless by a miracle one of the two theaters I have within 15 minutes or so of home gets it, I won't be seeing it that way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
^ That's true. Glad that didn't happen here.

I saw this in Japan... it's a pretty lackluster adaptation of one of my favorite manga arcs ever. It's accurate, in that everything from the manga is there, but it's not an adaptation, just a rehashing. e.g. the cliffhanger endings to the individual chapters in the manga are played as such even though it's a movie, and it made it feel choppy. They could have smoothed it out more, even if it would have meant rearranging things a bit. Also, the long flashback in the middle of the big battle at the end... doesn't quite work in a movie.
But I'm still glad it's getting a release.

As for dub cast... there's just Edward, their parents, and the scientist guy, right? Nothing jumps out... Aaron Dismuke would be good as Edward (..... and that would be funny, since his name is Edward and he's Lizzy's older brother). I'm just thinking of how great he is in ACCA (Rail).
(. . . . . . and in the first anime, there was a different Edward who was someone's older brother, and the younger brother was played by Maxey Whitehead, who replaced Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse. Okay, now I'm attached to this casting. Do it, FUNi, do it.)
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh god YES!!! Such a huge Black Butler fangirl and have been super excited for this movie! Glad to see they licensed it and hopefully just like with Your Name Funi will screen both Sub and Dub option and in a theater near me as I won't tolerate anyone but Michael J Tatum as Sebastian -swoon- <3
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Funimation licenses Book of the Atlantic

SIX YEARS LATER

Funimation loses license to Book of the Atlantic
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it was much of a surprise they got this. I find Black Butler to be one of Funimation's best dubs, you can tell all the actors I really into the material and plus it sounds better when English is coming out of British people instead of Japanese.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Considering Book of Circus made Ciel Brina's favorite role period, I'm very glad she's getting the opportunity to play more Ciel.

I'm worried for the film's pacing if it really kept in everything but fingers crossed it'll be good.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
I saw this in Japan... it's a pretty lackluster adaptation of one of my favorite manga arcs ever. It's accurate, in that everything from the manga is there, but it's not an adaptation, just a rehashing. e.g. the cliffhanger endings to the individual chapters in the manga are played as such even though it's a movie, and it made it feel choppy. They could have smoothed it out more, even if it would have meant rearranging things a bit. Also, the long flashback in the middle of the big battle at the end... doesn't quite work in a movie.
But I'm still glad it's getting a release.

Glad to know it adapts the manga faithfully.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
My favorite arc~ Unfortunately for me "theaters" means 4 hours away from me most likely.
RyuDiceFreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy they got this~. I'm looking forward to seeing it (mostly likely buying it like I did with Book of Murder),
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1