• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece Tops List of Manga Fans Dropped Due to Length

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
So these people dropped it ONLY because its long? Can't really understand that reasoning. I only drop a manga if it becomes boring, length got nothing to do with it.

I can't help but think that some people who voted got that mixed up.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I was going to say "kochikame" but it's on 3rd place xD

That said, the TV series is a blast, so you're only missing some bits of content, not that much despite it's length.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Woooooow
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
So these people dropped it ONLY because its long? Can't really understand that reasoning. I only drop a manga if it becomes boring, length got nothing to do with it.

I can't help but think that some people who voted got that mixed up.

Well their reasoning probably goes deeper than that. Some people probably do get bored or lose interest because its long. I don't think its unreasonable. The list doesn't exactly delve into each person's reason.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I see the expected suspects in the top 10.

I'm sure the youths of the 90's never expected OP to be that long. Things change as one gets older so some were probably forced to drop it and other long series.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
One Piece and Bleach are two that I dropped because of length, but that was not the main reason.
In both cases I just sort of lost interest because I was not enjoying them as much as I had in the beginning. If I had believed that they would be completed after a few more volumes I would have stayed with them, but since they each had more than ten more volumes, at that time, with no end in sight I gave up on them.
I think that I read about 12 volumes if One Piece and 10 volumes of Bleach. I can read a longer series if it keeps my interest.

I think that the longest series that I have finished is Inuyasha with 56 volumes.
I am still reading Case Closed and Fairy Tail, both of which have more volumes, but they are not yet finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Dropped OP not directly related to length but because the story didn't feel as good and as tight as it was in the beginning and the little things I could forgive piled up until I couldn't. It's not a bad series, but I feel like extremely long series must be either exceptional or risk losing fans as the old shenanigans get, well, old.

OP's degradation was nothing like Bleach's though. There are few series that I have seen who nosedived so spectacularly.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
For those playing catch-up, length is definitely a valid reason since they may not have enough time. I personally find that ONE PIECE can be a chore to read because the panels are so busy. I do read it once in a while if *cough*Law*cough* shows up, but even then it's mainly a skim to get a gist of what's happening.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
One Piece... I dropped because of length, but that was not the main reason... I just sort of lost interest because I was not enjoying them as much as I had in the beginning. If I had believed that they would be completed after a few more volumes I would have stayed with them, but since they each had more than ten more volumes, at that time, with no end in sight I gave up on them...I am still reading Case Closed...

I'm scratching my head with this one, having read a large portion of both. One Piece may be slow at moving its story along, but Conan has to be at least 10x slower.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Understandable, sometimes things just get less interesting especially if it lasts too long. Lots of stuff change in your life during that time and other series or hobbies take over and eventually you just can't be asked or stop caring about things you may have liked before lol.

Reading Fairy Tail but when it first came out I did stop reading it for a few years before getting back into it. Just kinda stopped altogether with a few others on the list.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
One Piece may be slow at moving its story along,

I did not drop it because I thought that it was slow, which I did not. I just was not interested enough to invest the necessary time in it.
Quote:
but Conan has to be at least 10x slower.

I do not care about that.
I read Case Closed for the individual stories, the characters and relationships, and the dialog.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagsura

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh man those who've dropped One Pice have missed out on so many important plot-developments and revelations, like... Or such as...

Wait, nothing's happened plot-wise in like 10 years! Nevermind, they've just missed out on Oda's hideous character design, uninmportant character backstories and a few great fights.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Well guys, One Piece is many times more popular than some other manga series.

You guys can easily x4 DC drops if you want to compare it with One Piece. Laughing Laughing
GIntama sales are even x7 times smaller per volume. 7x127=889 drops Cool

"Wait, nothing's happened plot-wise in like 10 years!" - actually it has moved a lot in the last 2 years. Wink

Last edited by #869207 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really surprised at the top two choices. Truth be told, I purposely let myself fall behind on "One Piece" every few months, then play catch-up so the wait for new manga chapters/anime episodes isn't so long. It's a slow burn story, but it's definitely one of the best written manga series out there. Something small Oda mentioned years before can come back to affect the story line in a big way.

"Detective Conan" can get tedious, especially if you're reading/watching a lot in one sitting. The manga's been running 20+ years and the last time Conan mentioned how much time had passed since he shrunk, it was less than a year. That's...a lot of murders in such a short amount of time. Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
One Piece may be slow at moving its story along,

I did not drop it because I thought that it was slow, which I did not. I just was not interested enough to invest the necessary time in it.

You only reached the year 2000, February, when volume 12 was released. Laughing
People are different. I respect your decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4