• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rescue Rangers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Ugh, J-pop...it's so sugary and cutesy, and yet I can't look away; some Slayer might help...ah better.

Wow, first time in a long while there's been a perishable item. Bound to happen eventually I guess.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks to the title of this week's column, I now have the opening song of Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers stuck in my head. I'm sure that the DuckTales, Tailspin, and Darkwing Duck opening songs are sure to follow. Wink

As for the Shelf Obsessed section this week, I found it very interesting that Miyamoto Musashi's book, The Book of Five Rings, is available in Spanish (El Libro de los Cinco Anillos in the photo). Now I want to know how many languages that book has been published in.

Another great Shelf Life! I'm really going to have to try to check out Mushi-shi some time.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Just your summary of Mave-chan was hilarious!
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
"Speedo-Clad man bag."

Best. Quote. Ever.

I have to go and rent Girl's High now...I love reminiscing about my high school days, and any anime that can warrant a quote that hilarious is top-shelf viewing in my book. I almost spit coffee on my screen when I read that!
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
While reading the description of Mave-chan, I couldn't help but think of The Neverending Story and how The Nothing was devouring that world.

Mushi-shi is like art in motion. Most of the stories are bittersweet, which always leaves me in a reflective mood. I just bought vol 3 today and I'm looking forward to watching.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Thanks to the title of this week's column, I now have the opening song of Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers stuck in my head.

So do I.... damn it.

Ah...Girl's High, you love or you hate it. I'm a girl, and while none of the girls I know acted in the idealized ladylike manner, none were as raunchy and crude as the GH group. Then again, I have no stomach for crude jokes, I just don't find them funny. Needless to say, I'm of the near-hate variety when it comes to this show. Although I will admit, the raunchiness slowly fades away a little (or maybe I was desensitized) so it wasn't quite as painful, but I'm not sure I ever actually laughed while watching the series--except for during an early episode where a certain character ends up in a love hotel. spoiler[The fact that she carries so many medications (and vitamins) with her and manages to knock out her would be date rapist just amused me to no end.]
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
"It's basically an excuse for nerds to sit in a circle and masturbate over why they love anime, but it's poorly written, lacks drive, and is cheesy as hell."

HEY!!! that wasn't nice!!!

yeah it was short and maybe the story was cheesy but at least the character design was superb...

no...i don't sit and masturbate over my anime collection but DAMMIT i'm still gonna love this OAV and whatever it comes along!!

and why are every single high school series ALWAYS compare to Azumanga Daioh?

it's like EVERY single mecha series being compared to Evangelion for some odd reason...

coincidentally i watched Azumanga Daioh last week and still it's fresh and sweet as the first time i watched it...one of the best dubbing EVER!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah. You had me at "Speedo-clad man bag". Almost makes me want to see Girls High just for that.

And what's with the hate-on for Mave-Chan? Granted I got it for $4 but I enjoyed it. I thought it was sweet and funny. And show me a straight otakuboy of a certain age who doesn't masturbate over his anime girls. I dare you.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
You bet I'd rather spend my money on Mecha Musume! Anime hyper I'll probably buy one eventually... *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks to the title of this week's column, I now have the opening song of Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers stuck in my head.
I feel so sorry for you!! Its the most annoying song ever! fudge it. Now its in my head...

Good article, though I think bamboo went a little overboard on her review of Mave-chan. I suppose she had to be over-critical of something since she hasn't had a perishible item in a while.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
I feel so sorry for you!! Its the most annoying song ever! fudge it. Now its in my head...

Could be worse- thanks to an AMV, the song stuck in my head is a Czech (Slovak?) translation of the theme song. And keeps morphing into the Gummi Bears theme from same AMV. Confused Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Ah, I like the OP for Rescue Rangers. I used to love that show to pieces! (Disturbing fact about Richard J.: He had a crush on Gadget.)

Although I've never seen it, I was hoping that Rescue Me: Mave-Chan would get a better review, since some people feel it's success or failure might be used to gauge the sales potential of other short OVAs connected to series. Oddly, the plot actually sounds kind of fun to me. Maybe it's a quirk of growing up deeply depressed, but I've always found stories about darkness, nothingness, or some other amorphous evil devouring everything to be fascinating. (I even liked the My Little Pony movie with that ooze stuff.)

I think I'm just going to pick up the manga for Girls High. If I'm going to have to read it anyway, I might as well do it in a way that won't leave my eyes burning. (I hear there's more fanservice in the manga anyway. Twisted Evil )

I really need to get Mushi-Shi. I saw the first episode a while back on a Newtype preview disc and I've been meaning to pick the series up ever since, but my priorities keep shifting around. (Not to mention my cash flow turning to a barely noticable trickle.)

Venus Vs. Virus. One of the few series coming out that I watched in part via fansubs. First, I like it better in English, Sumire sounded way too cutesy to my ears in the Japanese. Second, I wish they'd stuck closer to the manga when they were adapting this one, because the changes they made to the pacing really throw the series out of whack. The best episode on the first volume is the one with the twins and it sticks closet with the manga. (Though I feel like the poignancy of spoiler[Tsukuyo's death is diminished when they didn't include the bit from the manga about her brother giving her remains to Lucia so that they can be made into anti-virus].)

It also doesn't help that they tried to integrate the original contest-winning manga short into the anime, since it was essentially a different origin story for the characters. I'm giving Venus Vs. Virus another chance, since I wanted to see what ADV would do with it, but I'd recommend the manga first to anyone who finds the basic plot interesting.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
and why are every single high school series ALWAYS compare to Azumanga Daioh?

it's like EVERY single mecha series being compared to Evangelion for some odd reason...

It sets a frame of reference. It gives the reviewer and her reader something to align their thinking; a baseline, if you will. From there, the reviewer can say things like, "it's like AD but more crass" or "it's like NGE but with an ending that makes better sense."

Referencing a well-known show in a genre also gives readers an idea of why they might like or dislike the reviewed piece. It allows the reviewer to say something like, "If you liked AD for these reasons, you'll like this."

Finally, if a reviewer didn't invoke a genre's well-known show(s), readers might wonder if the reviewer is speaking from a proper position of knowledgeable authority. Nobody is going to trust a reviewer who doesn't know the medium she's reviewing.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
For some reason even the idea of Rescue Rangers couldn't get the Wishbone song out my head. I ran across some of the old books and got to reading.

Anyway, nice column.
The only title of real intreat was venus versus virus. i'll pick that up in 3 weeks when I get back.

Question @ Shelf
Giovannie sue loves DBZ GT. Is that kenshin boxset for puerto rico? Is it th first season econmy set? And the EVA...i've never seen that box before.

nice collection!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:

Whaaaaa?? You're crazy. Rescue Rangers had one of the best theme songs ever! "There's no case too big, no case too small, when you need help just call Chip Chip Chip Chip n' Dale! (Rescue Rangers) Chip Chip Chip Chip n' Dale (When there's danger!)" Whoever sang that was belting his guts out. You totally don't hear that kind of emotion from today's cartoon theme vocalists. Wink

Nothing beats Jem as far as 80s cartoon themes go, though. Bamboo, I'll love you forever and ever if you can somehow fit a Jem reference into a future SL column.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2