• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
A real shame the attack on titan openings are still trying the capture the magic of the first. Stop trying it ain't going to happen even if you basically only change the vocals! Razz

First episode in and still love this anime to pieces. Even if I do find this series more enjoyable when marthoned I couldn't bring myself to ignore it for so long.

So spoiler[Mike] officially bites the dust after finally getting some screentime dedication. Normally if a character has a flashback in a series like this THAT'S when you can assume they'll die but if you start getting focused on and you AREN'T in the main group of characters your ass is dead! Laughing

Even if spoiler[mister sniffy nose] was an undeveloped character the way they had him die was gut wrenching. The entire time they've portrayed him as a fearless badass and being pretty close to Levi in terms of strength but when he's moments away from death he breaks down in fear. Usually heroes in anime die with a smile on their face not giving a single shit about death so it's nice to see one of them act a little human for once. Dying sucks. Nobody can truly prepare themselves for it. I don't think any less of spoiler[Mike] for the way he reacted (like some others elsewhere have). It kind of reminds me of Mika being basically in the same situation (no way to use her gear, surrounded by titans and foolishly trying to take them on regardless) only spoiler[Mike] didn't have the same neigh unpenetrable plot armor. That damn dirty spoiler[ape] man Sad

I liked the scene with preacher dude too. They could have just made him a pathetic spineless dick who would spill the beans whenever his life was threatened. Instead he stuck to his beliefs but was STILL scared out of his [expletive] mind that he was moments away from death. Maybe I don't watch the right kind of anime but I seriously hardly see this kind of thing anymore. It's either "I'm dying for my friends/family so I don't care about the potentially horrific way I'm going to die and the people I'm leaving behind" or "I'm mindlessly devoted to my cause and will do anything for it without fear".
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not enamoured with this series the same way others gush about it here and elsewhere, it's always been a source of entertainment as the battles between humans and the titans are visually arresting but nothing more since the characterisation of the humans isn't something new.

That being said, it does like throwing its surprises out every once in a while for those who don't follow the source material. Beast Titan is a little behind the times regarding human equipment, even though titans like Annie could be better sources of information having infiltrated human society.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Good focus on Sasha this week. The first season didn't focus on her as much so I'm glad they dedicated an episode to her. This episode showcased her archery, horseriding skills, and courage when she saved that child.

I'm kinda sad at the state of her village though. It just seems so desolate after she returned.

That cliffhanger has my interest for next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm so glad Sasha survived the Titan encounter. That's the thing with this show - you just never know who they are going to kill off or when, so every encounter is tense. Now that we know more about her background, her huge appetite makes sense.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2
What makes it great is that the animation and the voice acting more than sell that Sasha is freaking the hell out of her encounter with the Titan.

It certainly makes sense for Hajime Isayama to keep Sasha around as there were more than enough dead Shaggy Dog stories built up already, the other part is that she becomes a distinct representative of her sub culture of "back woods" people that have become effected by the years of tragedies.
The brilliant part is turning a character who was probably to the original creator as much of a foot note as say Mina Carolina and fleshing them out to be as worthwhile as any of the lead cast.
Connie gets a similar harrowing experience that will soon be expanded upon.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Sasha always struck me more as a comic relief character than anything else, but she gets her time in the spotlight and shows how much cadet training has changed her compared to her prior self living in the backwoods.

That last scene... huge torso but legs too thin to support body weight. It's not one of the big specimens but it looks like something bigger hurled it against the house. Since Titans generally do not work in cooperative groups like humans do, it looks like this one is stuck looking at the sky and passing humans for eternity.

If Armin's little theory is right, I'm starting to form the conclusion that the Titans of unknown origin/creation serve some kind of population control mechanism that keeps human numbers in check. When humans expand beyond sustainable development, a few holes in the great walls is enough to bring the balance back. Titans don't seem to need to eat or sleep and human consumption appears to be enjoyment to them so that's probably a role that's been assigned to them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin - it's funny you mention your theory now because yesterday for the first time I thought there might be a Gaia principle at work with respect to the Titans. I had the thought while watching the OP and seeing the scene where Titans other than human-type are visible but they all have the "glowy heart" thing inside. The Gaia principle popped into my head as more of an intuitive leap than anything else. But later on when a character raised the possibility that the Titans in the walls are actually protecting humans, the theory starts to make even more sense. Without the walls, humanity would be extinct but the fact that Titans can get in through other means (by breaching a gate for example) does act as a governor on human population growth.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

That last scene... huge torso but legs too thin to support body weight. It's not one of the big specimens but it looks like something bigger hurled it against the house. Since Titans generally do not work in cooperative groups like humans do, it looks like this one is stuck looking at the sky and passing humans for eternity.

I saw some people speculating that that Titan might actually be Conny's mother. They were basing that theory on the fact that when Conny was thinking of his family, his mother is shown to have blonde hair, plus the fact that both the Titan and Conny have the same colored eyes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

I saw some people speculating that that Titan might actually be Conny's mother. They were basing that theory on the fact that when Conny was thinking of his family, his mother is shown to have blonde hair, plus the fact that both the Titan and Conny have the same colored eyes.

Interesting ramifications for the humans since aside from Eren no one has any idea how the Titans come into existence. Followers of the source material might know but the rest of us anime-only viewers will have to wait for the next episodes to find out.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see that a character having several flashbacks in one episode doesn't indicate a death flag. Though it does seem everyone in Eren's main group has been safe for a while (expect poor Marco).

One question though, have we seen a titan that was basically human sized before? The first time we the titan he looked pretty much human. In fact I thought it was the husband of the woman being eaten and he had recently been turned into a titan for a second.

He seemed to grow as the episode went on. I'm not sure if that's just inconsistent animation or if that's how titans work when they are born. Maybe they gradually grow over time or it's dependent on how many humans they eat.

If he was the size he was when he first appeared hitting him in the neck wouldn't even be necessary would it? Unless babies can also be turned into titans which would be..........disturbing.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
He seemed to grow as the episode went on. I'm not sure if that's just inconsistent animation or if that's how titans work when they are born. Maybe they gradually grow over time or it's dependent on how many humans they eat.

Titan's don't need to eat humans; they gain nothing from doing so. In fact, once their bellies are full, they just vomit up a ball of humans and go back to eating more. This was explained in Season 1. As far as I can tell, Titans live off of sunlight, and die if they're deprived from it for too long.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

Titan's don't need to eat humans; they gain nothing from doing so. In fact, once their bellies are full, they just vomit up a ball of humans and go back to eating more. This was explained in Season 1. As far as I can tell, Titans live off of sunlight, and die if they're deprived from it for too long.

I know that. But none of that explains why he appeared to grow as the episode went on. Lack of sunlight doesn't shrink them from what I've seen. So there is a lack of explanation for the issue I'm talking about.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I know that. But none of that explains why he appeared to grow as the episode went on. Lack of sunlight doesn't shrink them from what I've seen. So there is a lack of explanation for the issue I'm talking about.

Ah. Then I'm going with perspective and him squatting down at the time being the reason he *appeared* to be more-or-less human sized. I don't think his size actually changed, just appeared to change.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the show does mess with perspective a bit sometimes. When we see him first while squatting as Sasha stands next to him her height exceeds his. But when she's shooting arrows at him even when standing on a small hill he towers over her and looked like a normal small sized titan. Maybe that was Sasha's nerves at work and her fear made him look more menacing from her perspective.

Anyways just something I thought was a little odd at first. I like to over think simple things Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
You also have to remember that the way he was and could hold the mother did kind of show he was larger than a human.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 89 of 107