• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Adds Dr. Stone as Regular Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Oooh Dr.Stone must be doing VERY well in its sales and rankings
Can only hope the same for Hungry Marie
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
A riff on Philip Jose Farmer's The Stone God Awakens. Looks interesting.

Mark Gosdin
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank GOD. I was wondering if we'd get anything new, and Dr. Stone is unique if nothing else.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Certainly the title I was hoping to keep on. It's an utterly bonkers title but i'm very smitten, it fills the Toriko sized hole in my heart.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of triggered because they skipped over Kimetsu no Yaiba a while ago. But out of the 6 new series, this one is definitely the best, so good to see it get some exposure.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:

This actually means nothing for the it's future. Most of the stuff that Viz add to the lineup are cancelled.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:
HueyLion wrote:

This actually means nothing for the it's future. Most of the stuff that Viz add to the lineup are cancelled.

Unfortunately.

I still mourn for Stealth Symphony
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Stealth Symphony, Hi-Fi Clusters, Red Sprite, School Judgement...alone gone before their time.

On the other hand, we got My Hero Academia, Black Clover, and The Promised Neverland so not a total failure rate.
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to hear this news, even if it doesn't inherently mean good things for the series.

Dr. Stone has been consistently entertaining for the five or six chapters that currently exist. If a manga's first goal is hooking readers as quickly as possible, Dr. Stone does an excellent job at selling itself.

Despite a few minor nitpicks regarding a character choice or two, I have no complaints; it's too early to say if there are long term problems yet, however.

This, Boku no Hero Academia and One PIece will be the only WSJ series I am following, and I hope to see Dr. Stone continue doing well.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Dr. Stone continues to do very very well. Hopefully We can't learn stays around too. I do wish U19 got a little bit more love too but it'll probably be cancelled soon
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Eyeshield 21 is my favorite manga.

Since the author Inagaki's writing this series now, I KNOW it's gonna be good!
LeonOfFate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
So what will happen to the origin series it's freaking good !! Will boichi continue it or what ?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that's pretty cool. This was one of the ones I actually wanted to have brought over. I should've known about this already, but I forgot to download the latest volume from the site. For the record, I voted in Viz's poll about the six new series, and the ones I rank from the ones I most want to the ones I least want (but I'll be okay with any of them):

1. Dr. Stone: It sounds like the author has already planned what the ending will be, meaning we're going to get a nice and satisfying ending provided the rankings are kind to it. I'm also liking the whole "post-apocalyptic survival using science" angle, as that's something I don't see too often.

2. Hungry Marie: The premise for this one can go in so many directions, I'm interested in seeing which way it'll actually go. It's ridiculous, but the author knows full well it is and has wisely chosen to make it a comedy with action elements rather than the other way around that Viz's Shonen Jump is made mostly of.

3. Robot X Laserbeam: Frankly, I'm not really that interested in golf as a sport, but this series keeps it about the people who play them, which can make a series interesting about a topic I have no real interest in. I know golf terminology well enough to keep up, but I would've liked it better had the series continued to make the semi-pro character think Tomoya was the super-good golfer for longer. This is WSJ's most misleading title BY FAR though.

4. We Never Learn!: This is a cute series with adorable characters. Also, I LOVE that Furuhashi is left-handed, even though the series hadn't brought it up in the first three chapters, considering the stigma against southpaws in Japan. However, this feels pretty limited as a series, and the only way I can see to extend its length is to make it a harem, which would destroy the three-character dynamic it currently has.

5. U19: Kids Next Door as a shonen fight manga. I love Kids Next Door, but the execution here is kind of grating. Everything feels like a sledgehammer, from the plot points to the character designs to the somewhat messy artwork and really weird camera angles.

6. Prince Poro's Demon Diaries: This is last not because of the quality of the writing (I think it's better than U19 or We Never Learn!), but because One-Punch Man is already in the magazine, and there isn't room for two series about grossly overpowered protagonists bored with life and seeking something interesting. Also, the Demon Rankings are incredibly messed up, mathematically speaking.

mgosdin wrote:
A riff on Philip Jose Farmer's The Stone God Awakens. Looks interesting.

Mark Gosdin

I had a hunch that concept had been done some time ago.

HueyLion wrote:

Definitely sounds like it has a lot of promise. Like The Promised Neverland though, it also absolutely cannot be dragged out for too long.

Mr Adventure wrote:
Nakurawari wrote:

Unfortunately.

I still mourn for Stealth Symphony

And Barrage, if it weren't for My Hero Academia's success later on. We got The Promised Neverland though, and while World Trigger was the first one to succeed, the author's become hospitalized and the series has been put on indefinite hiatus.

Hawkmonger wrote:
Stealth Symphony, Hi-Fi Clusters, Red Sprite, School Judgement...alone gone before their time.

On the other hand, we got My Hero Academia, Black Clover, and The Promised Neverland so not a total failure rate.

A bit of a correcton here: My Hero Academia was not intended to be in the magazine until overwhelming demand had it put in after its success was already proven. Black Clover though, yeah, definitely the biggest aversion to the Viz Curse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1