• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SJ Runs Yu-Gi-Oh's End, Slam Dunk's Debut, Naruto's Origin

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sokpupet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
DING DONG! The convoluted serial comic of lame is finished! Just need to get rid of GX now. Did you know that Yugi's been on the cover 23 times of what will soon be 60 issues?

7 in '03
5 in '04
8 in '05

compared to:

1 in '06
2 in '07

I'm glad the cover is more diverse now. Naruto's only been on the cover 13 times including this issue, so you can't say he's hogging it all. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Either way, I'm glad it's being replaced.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope that some other titles covered by Raijin will be picked up and published in full - it would be nice to see the complete series for several of them.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, subscriptions really do ship out early- I've had this issue for at least a week now, I didn't realize it was that newsworthy. *shrugs* (I wonder why Naruto Shippuden starting next month didn't get a mention?)

I'm honestly happy to see Yugioh go, I haven't read since they got into this whole Egyptian flashback scene- for a manga about a card game, they sure spent a lot of time not playing cards. (GX, on the other hand, I am enjoying- it's got the campy goodness that I liked at the beginning of Yugioh.)

The Naruto origin story is actually pretty good- I like it better than the one that got serialized.... although I kinda understand why they made the changes. The original'd be hard to keep running long-term.

Slam Dunk is kinda cute, but not something I'll be picking up- just don't like sports titles.
mad_hatter_md01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Im glad that Yugioh is finally over. I just with they would license the new yugioh series, Yugioh R. If they do we can get so many new promos from Shueisha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Naruto origin story is actually pretty good- I like it better than the one that got serialized.... although I kinda understand why they made the changes. The original'd be hard to keep running long-term

Really? What's it about?
oslapedo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Gawd Slam Dunk is old. We're not gonna endure 31 volumes of it in magazine form are we? Anime cry I'd like to see something like D.Gray Man. Really actually anything but a '90s sports manga would be fine...
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, Slam Dunk wont be continously published in the magazine. This was pretty much just a sneak peak thing for the graphic novels.

DuelLadyS wrote:
for a manga about a card game, they sure spent a lot of time not playing cards.

That's because the manga-ka didn't really intend for the story to focus around just card games, it just sorta ended up being that way. So for the final chapter of the story he went back to how he originally visioned it, with a few modifications obviously. & also you'll notice that Shonen Jump didn't publish any of the card-centric arcs in the magazine itself. They only put in the first saga & the last saga, neither of which had card games as the focus. The ones that did, Duelist Kingdom & Battle City, were published outside the magazine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Well I hope that some other titles covered by Raijin will be picked up and published in full - it would be nice to see the complete series for several of them.

I completely agree.

Although, I'm not sure if I ever wanna read Fist of The North Star done by Viz, again. I have alot of their older comic book form chapters, and they didn't really do a great job with it. I was sad to see Raijin go for just that reason, too (Especially since I wanted to collect all of the Master Editions of Fist of The North Star, I did get all nine they released, though).

Aside from that, I wish SOMEONE would pick up and continue Bow Wow Wata, it was hilariious and I enjoyed.

Also, Mamotte Shugogetten (Guardian Angel Getten) was quite good. Even though it reminded me, at times, of Ah My Goddess.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
DING DONG! The convoluted serial comic of lame is finished! Just need to get rid of GX now. Did you know that Yugi's been on the cover 23 times of what will soon be 60 issues?

I see I'm not the only one who got sick of seeing Yugi on the cover. Although Naruto hasn't been on as many issues, he has certainly taken over the majority of the recent ones. I wish they would at least show other characters from those manga. They have so many options with how many characters are in all of their manga, yet they stick with the same ones over and over. We want variety!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1