• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think it's because this series will follow the movie, but I do hope it doesn't turn into the anime equivalent of a Disney direct-to-video sequel. I joked about that when I read the final chapter of Naruto, but I would really like to see Boruto go off in its own direction and distance itself from Naruto, both the character and the original series.

Well, I'm guessing the anime will retell the movie, in any case, making it the third time that story is told.\.

My impression is that they are doing what JJAbrams did with Star Trek and SW:TFA, in creating a sequel by rebranding the original. Because what I seen of the Boruto series, it has so far copied Naruto's first arc and the manga just started it's version of the Wave Arc.

So I for one am just not going to bother with this series anymore. If the rest of you like this series, then I hope it doesn't disappoint.
BlueCatPK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think it's because this series will follow the movie.

Well, I'm guessing the anime will retell the movie, in any case, making it the third time that story is told.

Your first and last points contradict themselves, but yes, it's likely they'll re-adapt the movie in the anime because of how it concluded differently in the Boruto manga to the film. With what happened in this episode regarding Boruto's eye, that re-telling will be necessary for the plot to progress past the point of the movie and onward to the flash-forward we saw.

There's also a change in Boruto's personality, which had to happen with the new series,
otherwise Boruto would stay in that unlikable state for god knows how many episodes, untill they would cover the plot from movie, where he grows and changes.

Unless they would completely cut out that arc, they have to re-adapt it, with changes to fit the current Boruto version.
---

Quote:
This episode marks the first time I've seen Boruto without the shadow of his father hanging over him. In fact, Naruto doesn't appear at all this week. While Iwabe and several other classmates openly accuse Boruto of “riding his dad's coattails” (how is a two-week suspension for the train stunt equal to no punishment in their eyes?)

Because it wasn't a simple prank, like with graffiti on the Hokage Rock (which he did in the manga.)
He launched and smashed a railroad car into it, endangering many people in the process, and they think (rightfully so) that if anyone else did something like that, they would be expelled on the spot.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Personally I liked the whole "Temari is a handful at home" bit and thought it was kinda funny how it played off Shikamaru's feeling that women are just a hassle.

Still the biggest issue so far with the show is that some characters (Specifically Shikadai and Metal) are near carbon copies of their fathers, hopefully they can be set apart over time when they're given more chances to flesh out, but then again their fathers were a lot like their father, Shikamaru is very much like his Father and Rock Lee was a lot like Guy who was a father figure to him so I guess their kids being like them is expected.

Still I can't feel like something great was missed by not making Shikadai be a girl, it would have been a solid gag to have "Women are a drag" Shikamaru be the only male in his household.
marioporfirio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
How can anyone be liking Boruto's anime, the anime has a poor character design, looking more like a control + c control + v from their respective parents. The story is looking like a copy of the episodes of naruto with different characters, the first two episodes were almost identical to those of naruto, same recipe as always, protagonist gets into a fight in the first episode and the second is him entering the ninja academy. In addition to visually, the anime seems far inferior to Naruto that was made more than 10 years ago, it really seems that the pierrot is not giving much importance to the anime and is doing anyway the visual part.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I've never noticed this before but do Rock and Metal Lee's name follow a different naming rule than everyone else's. Most of the characters follow the Japanese naming sense of family name first and given name second like Uzumaki Boruto and Uchiha Sarada but Rock Lee and Metal Lee are the opposite.

I'd always assumed that Rock was his family name and Lee was his given name especially considering that everyone called him Lee but if Metal Lee is his son that would mean that Lee was his family name and Rock was his given name. Why are their names the other way around to everyone else's?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
"Isn't there some jutsu to fix this?" Yes, there is, and I don't understand why they're not using it. I always figured some Earth style ninjas were making the faces anyway, considering how fast they went up. It would take years and lots of explosives to do it by hand, especially by hand. With hammers and chisels! Tasking it to unskilled children is even stupider.

I was thinking it would've been more interesting if Metal Lee was able to use more than taijutsu. That could've set up some poignant conflicts between father and son.

It's also kinda frustrating that Boruto won't even tell his friends about what he's been seeeing. At least he's started to sound out his mom on it.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Still I can't feel like something great was missed by not making Shikadai be a girl, it would have been a solid gag to have "Women are a drag" Shikamaru be the only male in his household.

I never thought of this, but now I TOTALLY wish it were true. Also, I'm really curious about Shikamaru's mom, since he explicitly noted (back when) that Temari is a lot like his mom. I think Shikamaru both likes and is confounded by strong women.
Quote:
I've never noticed this before but do Rock and Metal Lee's name follow a different naming rule than everyone else's.

I think that they're basically pretending (for this purpose) that Rock Lee is "foreign" (probably Guy too, since he seems on a similar naming scheme). He's clearly modeled on/named after Bruce Lee, so I think they just roll with that even tho the Japanese naming standard is usually "family name first".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was thinking it would've been more interesting if Metal Lee was able to use more than taijutsu. That could've set up some poignant conflicts between father and son.

Would've been funny, and full of story possibilities, if he could use any type of jutsu except taijutsu, if he could not get past an average human physically but can compensate with superb ninjutsu and genjutsu (and other jutsus).

Quote:
Shino's punishment extending to the victim of the attack (Metal) and several students who just happened to witness the fiasco (Shikadai, Inojin, and Sumire) seems a bit misguided.

Agreed so much. Punishing both the perpetrator AND the victim only fuels bullying, even if the act was not bullying itself. Bullies take pleasure in bringing misfortune upon their victims, and for the most part, they don't care if they themselves get in trouble if it means their victims get in trouble too.

I think adults working at school are better about this now, but man, was it horrible when I grew up. The grown-ups thought that bullies would hate getting punished--they do, but not as much as they'd enjoy seeing their victims suffer. So some bullies intentionally caused a scene near adults with their backs turned just so the adults could turn around and get the both of them in trouble.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Personally I thought that the home scene with Shikamaru and Temari was on the contrary hillarious and touching. I didn't feel like Shikamaru was saying women are a pain, it's just that TEMARi, a.k.a as Shikadai mother was overreacting. But what I liked most was that she totally saw what they were thinking, they really felt like a family.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Can the new Rock Lee mold chakra?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Usually it doesn't bother me too much, but for some reason the whole "every women should just be a normal housewife" shtick of anime is really weird here. You have two very talented ninja who are still at the age where they could be active who just became regular housewife, what a waste!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Usually it doesn't bother me too much, but for some reason the whole "every women should just be a normal housewife" shtick of anime is really weird here. You have two very talented ninja who are still at the age where they could be active who just became regular housewife, what a waste!

That's an aspect of Japanese culture that's quite different from western culture, where a woman is expected, once she reaches adulthood, to find a husband, have a family, and settle down. At least, that's how it's traditionally been, and that's how it was during the time when Boruto's writers were growing up. Similarly, it's a man's duty to protect a woman from anything he deems a threat. This does not mean the woman is weak or submissive, but that she is expected to dedicate her life to her husband and his well-being. It dates back to World War II with the yamato nadeshiko role model.

It's changing nowadays (and the declining birthrate is proof of that), with more women refusing to marry and continuing to live their professional lives, but it's in a transitional phase. It's still somewhat shameful to see a woman protecting herself from danger, especially when a man she knows is nearby (reflecting poorly on both of them, not only because the man has failed to protect the woman, or at least try, but also because the woman did not allow the man a chance to protect her). Western culture used to be like this too--such an attitude is where the phrase "No guy wants an amazon" came from.

I have my own opinions on this, but I won't be mentioning it here. However, I know Japan is not the only country that's like this.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
I thought the stuff with Temari was really funny and exactly how I would have expected her, Shikamaru and their kid to interact with each other at times. Shikamaru and Temari are a great couple.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's still somewhat shameful to see a woman protecting herself from danger, especially when a man she knows is nearby

Reminds me of my favorite scene in The Last, where Sakura tells Naruto to walk Hinata home and he's like, "Why? She's one of the strongest ninja in the village!" Laughing

While the implication that it has to be the woman is outdated (less so in Japan of course), it makes sense logically that if both parents were ninja, one would retire, or you'd have a lot of orphans, not to mention the scheduling nightmare since they couldn't both be away at the same time. It also seems like older (like, 30+) shinobi don't get sent out on missions as much anyway and tend to do more work back at home, especially if they never made Jonin. Plus the kids seem to be homeschooled before they go to the academy, and considering their mostly absent fathers, both Hinata and Sakura would have put a lot of time into teaching their kids the basics of ninjutsu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Well if they don't they end up like Sasori (from Akatsuki) besides it's clear ninja villages don't have a lot of resources to care for orphans (unless getting sent to Root is considered 'care') just look at what Orochimaru wanted to do to the Ame orphans or what Danzo threatened to do to Kabuto's orphanage.

Naruto is very much a mix of mid 1800 to early 1900's with a little modern tech thrown in. The aftermath of WW2 changed the world so much more than most people realise, hell the rationing that happened in Britain was the first time the working class ever got food meeting recommended dietary needs (for the time period at least).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 31