• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Spring 2017 Anime Roundup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
I think the MP3 link is broken?
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Are either Zac or Jacob gonna watch SukaSuka?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

I saw it and talk about it on the podcast, I just didn't have time to write it up for the Preview Guide, and my review would have just echoed a lot of what was already said about it. Zac hasn't seen it yet, but we'll probably follow it since it's one of the most popular things this season.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to the classic reviews of Revolutionary Girl Utena. There's still so many different ways to approach that TV series even after all this time and I'd love to see your take on it.

Leaving that aside, I was also concerned about where Tanya the Evil would end up going with its themes. Considering that the source material has not been completed yet, I wasn't hoping for too much closure from the anime. If nothing else, at least the show was still fun to watch. Perhaps one day the original author may come up with something more interesting to say and include it in the ending of the light novels? I wish that wasn't just wishful thinking.

I'll get around to it one day, but I am not in any particular hurry to watch Attack on Titan S2 yet. I've kept up to date with the manga and the pace of the adaptation seems slightly slow for my liking, despite the significant visual upgrade and small storytelling tweaks in the anime version. I am far more interested in continuing with the new Rage of Bahamut sequel, which keeps providing some pretty good fantasy swashbuckling.

Silly Jacob, ID-0 shockingly contains no idols. Razz There was a brief bait-and-switch marketing push going on with a fruity PV but, if I had to describe the show after watching one episode, it's Outlaw Star with space miners fighting over dangerous minerals. Most of the cast spends their time inside giant robots that are controlled by uploading the pilot's consciousness, which seems like a decent source for future drama and light philosophical musings. I know you won't watch the series either way because of the 3D, but it's not a bad combination for those interested in non-militaristic space adventures.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

I saw it and talk about it on the podcast, I just didn't have time to write it up for the Preview Guide, and my review would have just echoed a lot of what was already said about it. Zac hasn't seen it yet, but we'll probably follow it since it's one of the most popular things this season.

It helps that unlike other LN adaptations, the original author is specifically working on it himself and that the original source is complete (there is a sequel series though, it's postponed because of the anime)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Definitely looking forward to the classic reviews of Revolutionary Girl Utena. There's still so many different ways to approach that TV series even after all this time and I'd love to see your take on it.

Hither twice! An introductory run-through will be useful, to say the very least, for those approaching Utena afresh who may be daunted by how varied the existing criticism can be. The series was never released over here and remains legally unavailable, though I'll certainly keep a keen eye on this new project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni isn't niche at all. Haruhi? Not niche. K-ON? Not niche? Clannad? Not niche. Full Metal Panic TSR/Fumoffu? Not niche.

Free and Kobayashi-san aren't any more or less niche than a typical KyoAni show, Jacob.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to the Revolutionary Girl Utena write-ups. I've only seen the show once the whole way through, and have been itching to re-watch it for a while now.

I agree Your Name could have done better if it had been released in more theaters, but for only being released in that many, it did do pretty well. It had the 9th highest opening weekend for an anime, a list mostly made up of 90s franchise films (Pokemon, Dragonball Z, etc) and Disney-released Ghibli films.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
KyoAni isn't niche at all. Haruhi? Not niche. K-ON? Not niche? Clannad? Not niche. Full Metal Panic TSR/Fumoffu? Not niche.

Free and Kobayashi-san aren't any more or less niche than a typical KyoAni show, Jacob.

I was referring to the KyoAni fandom that has popped up around their recent body of work and follows the staff and production of almost everything they produce very intimately. Of course KyoAni has a lot of broader-audience hits under their belt, although the examples you cite here, to be fair, are about a decade old at least. I wasn't saying Dragon Maid was the first, I was only saying that it accompanied Haruhi, Clannad, and Free! in terms of audience reach, where more recent efforts like Sound! Euphonium, Amagi Brilliant Park, and Myriad Colors Phantom World did not. Notably, all those six shows are completely different, so I'm not equating any of this stuff in style or intended audience, just whether it breaks out of KyoAni fandom attention into broader anime fan attention or not. (And in the case of Myriad Colors Phantom World, it seems like the KyoAni fandom largely disowned that one too.)

nightjuan wrote:

Silly Jacob, ID-0 shockingly contains no idols. Razz There was a brief bait-and-switch marketing push going on with a fruity PV but, if I had to describe the show after watching one episode, it's Outlaw Star with space miners fighting over dangerous minerals. Most of the cast spends their time inside giant robots that are controlled by uploading the pilot's consciousness, which seems like a decent source for future drama and light philosophical musings. I know you won't watch the series either way because of the 3D, but it's not a bad combination for those interested in non-militaristic space adventures.

Ha ha, I see! I was solely going off that PV, so that would explain my confusion. Razz Regardless, I'll at least check out the first episode! Probably no more than that, but you know, one episode!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
I think the MP3 link is broken?

Apologies, this has been fixed.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Super excited for classic reviews of Revolutionary Girl Utena. I haven't watched it in years and the Nozomi/RS sets sitting on my shelf have been demanding my attention. It will be a great way to get reacquainted with the work. Cool
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I actually found Spring this year stronger than Winter of this year Berserk season has to be the worst thing I'm watching and not enjoying. I am watching and enjoying Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism though as it's to me just a dumb tournament series done by Studio Silver Link.

That just feels like dumb power fantasy I can recommend to my "man child" friends (if I had any). Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records I like the basic concept of a guy who is bad at magic but uses CQC to win his battles. Also the female student's uniforms look like more "modest" versions of the uniforms from the Visual Novel Cosplay Fetish Academy.

Overall I think it's going to be a good season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Haha, having read the Berserk manga (potential manga spoilers) spoiler[some of the things Jake was saying were making me laugh quite a bit.]

The bad animation in Berserk only really bothered me for the first couple of episodes of the first season - I guess I learned to ignore it in favor of seeing the story acted out. Parts of it are a lot more thematically lucid to me seeing it with voice actors and direction for some reason. Of course certain scenes, especially when they're pulled right from manga panels, are really grim simulacrums of what were once emotively potent pieces of art on their own.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Zac, sorry Jacob, but the uniforms of Bastrad Teacher are the things people love most about it. They are sexy as all hell.
slusheep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
Hearing the Winter season come up a few times in recent episodes, the absence of even a mention of ACCA was a bit disappointing. Sad I get that it's niche and the slow start may be an uphill battle for some, but it's definitely one of the best new shows to come out of that season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2