• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Both are amazing pieces of cultural history. And for very different reasons. I keep reading posts saying that the Manga focuses on too many characters, on the wrong things, is too broad etc. The movie was created only up until issue 10 of the Manga, it was put into the production process wwwwaaaayyyyyyy before the Manga was eve begun to be fully realized. It is my favorite film of all time still. But because the Manga is 36 issues, it is so far beyond what the movie could expand on. I think the Manga out does the movie to a rather large extent. It dives deeper into the Jungian meets science aspects of subconscious fear and insecurity manifesting into reality through Tetsuo, the ever evolving child like yet street tough Kaneda becoming more accepting of his place as a protecter but also learning compassion for others and becoming humbled. The side stories with Lady MIyako (who is only shown in the movie as a fanatical cult leader) as one of the numbers and her involvement with the Government and gorilla groups and her move to embrace this universal power away from sciences tampering is so amazingly beautiful in and of itself.

I will say this to those in this forum who seem to be very narrow minded about the sheer amazing story telling weight and the real life portrayals of the realtionships and complexities between characters... Imagine if they tried to condense the entire Game of Thrones saga into a two hour movie, and then they released the entire saga in full. It is really the same things, except the Manga here is story telling and metaphor building at its finest.

I still feel that the movie simply serves as a child's lead into something so much larger and deeper that the Manga truly embraces.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you're very passionate about the Akira manga. Unfortunately we generally do not approve of necroposting long dead threads. Especially when the thread is 4 1/2 years old since the last post. So I'm going to have to lock this. Feel free to start a new thread on the topic if you like.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2