• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Earns US$2.4 Million in 3rd Weekend

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Yikes. It's dropping pretty fast.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
It at least earned back its budget but it could not regain the money that was spent on the piss poor marketing.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
The future of live-action GitS continues to get bleaker by the week...
At least its holographic visuals are a beauty to gaze at.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Sigh just let this die in peace already.

Power Rangers also bombed,that is not getting this much coverage.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
It at least earned back its budget but it could not regain the money that was spent on the piss poor marketing.

Typically you add-in the marketing to the "budget",some will tell you to just double the "budget"(Studios do not reveal the actual budget).

Power Rangers has a listed budget of $100 million and has made $128 million.
Now given it's marketing, as of now Power Rangers lost tens of millions,.

Ghost in the Shell has a listed budget of $110 million and has earned $152 million.
Now given it's marketing, as of now GiTs also lost tens of millions.

Future Blue-ray/DVD sales aside, both are "bombs" and GiTs's failure is getting too much attention.

Alita:Battle Angel will face a similar issue as did Gits,a niche anime/manga fan base,an a once fresh story, released after many a copy/clone has gutted the market.
Sigh and I never did care for the motorball storyline.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
Power Rangers has yet to open in China, Japan, and S. Korea. But, yeah, given the stronger brand name than GITS, and the expectations, it might be construed as a disappointment in its own right. OTOH, it just proves how much of an axe to grind the 'paid protestors', er, ''dissenters', had against Ghost in the Shell. Rolling Eyes

Edit: Oh, and speaking of which, that 'global' total for GITS did not calculate what the film did in China. Twenty million's what it made last weekend. Or, to be more specific, opening weekend in China. In other words, BOM is as 'up-to-date' on it, as it appears to be with Your Name.

Edit 2: Well, at least Your Name's been updated.

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the likelihood of more Power Rangers movies is now? I'm sure that there was mention of 6 movies being the amount they were aiming to make.

I actually saw the movie on Saturday, and really enjoyed it.
Ochinchinsama69

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
The only things saving this film is the Japanese dub in Japan, the characters being played by their iconic voice actors made the experience much less torturing..
0nsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Sigh just let this die in peace already.

They probably can't. I expect the marketing budget to include paying people to say positive things about this movie online and to keep it fresh after release everywhere through paid for articles.

Otherwise, who would even care for this in the first place?

Every live-action movie based on anime will fail, there's nothing anybody can do about this. All we can hope for is that people will stop making those movies. But they didn't learn the lesson after Dragon Ball Evolution, so I'm skeptical they'll learn it ever.
theConundrumm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
ouch

Ochinchinsama69 wrote:
The only things saving this film is the Japanese dub in Japan, the characters being played by their iconic voice actors made the experience much less torturing..

so, ideally, one should wait for a Japanese dub on BR, with English subs..?
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote
I really loved this movie and sad to see it lose money, with no chance of sequels.
It should've been supported by anime fans and GitS fans, going up against crap
like beauty and the beast, instead, met with controversy and people bitching just
to bitch. GREAT JOB!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
But they didn't learn the lesson after Dragon Ball Evolution, so I'm skeptical they'll learn it ever.

Just because DragonBall Evolution bombed doesn't mean they were ever going to stop making adaptations of anime/manga since that was one example and not a very significant one.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
I am still curios if the producers indeed lied about the film´s cost and that it actually cost up to 180 mil., instead of 110 mil. The film did look nice (despite being badly directed), i will give it that.
Disney did that with Guardians for example but that one printed money. GitS on the other hand could loose up to 100 mil., or at least 50+ mil. Chump change. Power Rangers may not go too far either, unless the toys and Donuts pulled though for Lionsgate. Nice film though.

GitS 2017 being trash is one thing but it shitting the bed for the genre is inexcusable. Dragonball Evolution should have at least broken even! Battle Angel now needs to mind it´s budget, but Rodriguez is famous for making tightly budgeted films. Angel´s writer is still a real concern but someone has break the curse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
0nsen wrote:
But they didn't learn the lesson after Dragon Ball Evolution, so I'm skeptical they'll learn it ever.

Just because DragonBall Evolution bombed doesn't mean they were ever going to stop making adaptations of anime/manga since that was one example and not a very significant one.
Ho
Honestly Ghost in the shell actually did better than Dragon Ball evolution .
0nsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
All movies based on anime will be failures. 100% guaranteed. That's just how it is.

I said this before Dragon Ball Evolution and people waved it off. I said it after Dragon Ball Evolution and people waved it off. I said that GitS would fail and people waved it off, hoping for the best, I say it now, that GitS has failed and people still choose to wave it off. And GitS and DBE are not the only examples.

Honestly. Stop deluding yourselves already. It's like you guys actually want for a live-action movie based on anime to succeed or something. But it's not going to happen. GitS was probably the best shot they have had to make this work and they blew it anyway. Just like they blew their shot at A Kite, which was also suited for adaption to a live-action movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3