• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yowamushi Pedal New Generation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Lauren Orsini wrote:
I don't usually pay attention to voice actors, but Komori is voiced by Jun Fukuyama, who also voiced another purple-wearing degenerate: Ichimatsu in Osomatsu-san.

Wait, you bring up THE Jun Fukuyama (who for a time played the main protagonist of practically every even semi-prolific anime that aired, by the way), and that is honestly the best example you can give for that? That guy has made half his living off of playing over the top degenerates (by far his most famous role being one such character who seemingly had an obsession with covering himself with purple upon purple and surrounding that with purple). You weren't kidding when you said you usually don't pay attention to voice actors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

I thought it was funny that Kaburagi was totally freaking out over the possibility of not making the team because he was lapped once, when Onoda (and Koga, though he didn't know he existed to worry about) didn't even show up until he was like 5 laps behind. I also enjoyed Danchiku calmly listing all his faults. "The same traits that make everybody dislike you..." "Wait, back up, nobody likes me?"
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't think high schools have it in their budget for official masseurs for their sports teams. Except maybe for baseball-centered schools like Seidou.

Why? The teams all have "managers" too. They're just students who are members of the clubs. In this case, the student also races.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 12

Yeah, I loved the gag about Manami's "wings." Inflatable Aoyagi was just weird. Smile

It's obviously an exaggeration, but some pro riders can make their stomachs stick WAY out when they breath because they have massive lung capacity.

https://youtu.be/LehxioJIYYA?t=4m16s Here Yukiya Arashiro is demonstrating stomach breathing.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
It's interesting how all the clubs now found new-veteran members out of the blue: "Oh, you mean XXXXX-san? He was totally here all the time! "
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't think high schools have it in their budget for official masseurs for their sports teams. Except maybe for baseball-centered schools like Seidou.
Why? The teams all have "managers" too. They're just students who are members of the clubs. In this case, the student also races.

Because there probably aren't many high school students who have the necessary interest and training to be helpful and not harmful? We're not talking shoulder rubs here.

Managers just organize all the stuff the team needs and keeps records, which aren't skills in short supply. It's actually kind of grunt work, which is why they always seem to be girls. The guys want to be on the team, or they're not usually interested. The girls (and a scant handful of guys) can't be, so this is as close as they can get if they love the sport.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
It's not out of the ordinary that the biggest, best high school road racing team in Japan has at least one member who is good at doing a deep-tissue leg message.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
It's interesting how all the clubs now found new-veteran members out of the blue: "Oh, you mean XXXXX-san? He was totally here all the time! "

Koga was there the whole time. You see him in season one, or at least he's mentioned.

The whole thing about him suddenly being a villain is totally out of the blue, though.

As is him suddenly being this amazing rider.

But the weird thing is that everyone acts like they've never talked to him over the last year and a half...

On another note, Teshima and Aoyagi were also the villains in almost the exact same scenario the year before...

...and it makes no sense that he'd be in racing form so soon after his injury healed, unless he was practicing by himself all this time, which doesn't make any sense...

....and wanting to get Teshima to quit being the team captain is just a dick move. You don't have to be the best player on the team to be the captain. A students' maturity is usually a much bigger factor. Wanting to race in his place is another issue entirely.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I think Aoyagi talked more in this episode then in the entire show before. Laughing

Nice to see Teshima growing more confident. I guess everyone already respected him as captain despite his "being weak" but he really needed that victory for himself. Though "ordinary man vs. genius" must be one of the most overdone sports anime tropes, it was executed fairly well here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ashikiba once thought being 6'6” was a negative factor

If Lauren ever read the discussion thread, I'd think she keeps doing this just to annoy me. Smile Give Ashikiba back his angry inch (and a half)!

Great choice of thumbnail though. Loved that tag.

Yeah, Aoyagi has been a veritable chatterbox this season. I've been noticing that for the last couple of episodes now. It's like they forgot the joke, because he's been talking quite a bit in the flashbacks too, so it doesn't seem to be that he's changed because of his new role on the team or something.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
I watched episode 14 and 15 today... good stuff.

I like Aoyagi when's talkative. In this case it was mostly because Teshima asked him to handle captaining duties during the camp.
eely225

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
For the life of me, I don't understand two things:

1) Why is Koga not on the team? He clearly seems like a top-6 rider, and he's certainly portrayed as more capable than Kaburagi.

2) If this inter-high is much more focused on climbing sections, why are they going with the same kind of lineup with 2 sprinters (one of whom doesn't know he's a sprinter), 2 all-rounders (one of whom is a sprinter), and 2 climbers (one of whom isn't very good). Why not orient your team to have more climbers so you can be competitive over the majority of the course?
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
eely225 wrote:
For the life of me, I don't understand two things:

1) Why is Koga not on the team? He clearly seems like a top-6 rider, and he's certainly portrayed as more capable than Kaburagi.

2) If this inter-high is much more focused on climbing sections, why are they going with the same kind of lineup with 2 sprinters (one of whom doesn't know he's a sprinter), 2 all-rounders (one of whom is a sprinter), and 2 climbers (one of whom isn't very good). Why not orient your team to have more climbers so you can be competitive over the majority of the course?

1. While they didn't say so, I think it's maybe because Koga cannot run it due to his injuries. He didn't even recovered from the first one when he got another one. Besides, spoiler[ he barely finished the 1000-km run and what he said that he knew a lot about injuries sounded like "because I still got mine"[/i], ]
2. Because having a replacement rider (2 of every kind) is a sound, logic strategy?
eely225

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
1. While they didn't say so, I think it's maybe because Koga cannot run it due to his injuries. He didn't even recovered from the first one when he got another one. Besides, spoiler[ he barely finished the 1000-km run and what he said that he knew a lot about injuries sounded like "because I still got mine"[/i], ]
2. Because having a replacement rider (2 of every kind) is a sound, logic strategy?

1. That's the issue; the didn't say so. We are supposed to believe he can compete for the captain role, that he would've had it if he'd been a half-second faster, but then he can't possibly be on the team. Yes, they show him finishing later, but never give a reason as to why. It is just being lazy, when everyone in the show, Midousuji included, seems to think that Koga is a stronger rider. If they'd just said, at any point, any reason why he's not a top-6 rider, I'd be fine. But they didn't.

2. Same thing here basically. If that's the reason, then that's fine I guess. But at no point have the explained or even tried to justify a rationale for their team construction, especially as it relates to the course. Why is this the team? "Well, because it is the team," says the show. The fact that Sugimoto and Koga were both left off because of photo finishes on races that have little relation to the inter-high (done as individuals, very different courses) deserves to be explained, but the show can't. It just says this is the way it is and keeps repeating what a strategic genius Teshima is. Why do you need a backup sprinter on a climber-heavy course? Reasons, that's why, now look at how passionate their friendship is!
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
Koga isn't on the inter-high squad because he agreed to the conditions of race to decide who was the 6th man, and he lost.

Period.

What's silly is that he wasn't riding with the team as he recovered from the injury.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4