• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I am wondering if light novel transations have become so good since you choose to complain about that; I remember not even being able to know who is talking , speech manerism being all over the place (for the same character) and verbose-confusing explanations that totally killed the flow of text being on the top just a few months ago.

That's not a translation problem, it's the way that LN's are actually written in Japanese. Who is speaking is not clear. You have to rely on the speaking styles of individual characters to tell who is speaking, which is why so many characters in LN's have weird speaking patterns.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The women he's attracted to are around his actual age, and at least in this first book are not the ones joining his potential harem.

It's a running joke in the series that despite Satou's attraction to mature, bustier women, spoiler[the author keeps throwing younger girls at him. Even there's a future character that supposedly cursed Satou to be a chick magnet for younger girls!
Not that it's stopped him from visiting brothels when he needs a sexual fix.]

Ainana Hiro's source webnovel is still being updated very frequently, at least 1 new chapter a week. Although fast, the source's writing feels like the work is made to please their web readers who follow their page weekly.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Quote:
The women he's attracted to are around his actual age, and at least in this first book are not the ones joining his potential harem.

It's a running joke in the series that despite Satou's attraction to mature, bustier women, spoiler[the author keeps throwing younger girls at him. Even there's a future character that supposedly cursed Satou to be a chick magnet for younger girls!
Not that it's stopped him from visiting brothels when he needs a sexual fix.]

Ainana Hiro's source webnovel is still being updated very frequently, at least 1 new chapter a week. Although fast, the source's writing feels like the work is made to please their web readers who follow their page weekly.

Any difference from the source and publish? Since i don't remember the cursed from the source.

And quite surprise of the positive remains considering the source is loooong and the author stopping for the past few weeks due to undisclosed emergency was a good breather. Hell the only re: type of stories where nothing really happens much that i can think of that is longer is Magicraft Meister at nearly 1500 chapters.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

That's not a translation problem, it's the way that LN's are actually written in Japanese. Who is speaking is not clear. You have to rely on the speaking styles of individual characters to tell who is speaking, which is why so many characters in LN's have weird speaking patterns.

ah yeah, i did not mean that the translation caused that problem, but rather, that more recent transaltions fixed that, since people complains less about that problem of the genre.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
I think translations have improved to the point where this was noticeably clunky at times. J-Novel Club is generally my favorite for the most natural-sounded translations, but YenOn, OnePeace Books, and Cross Infinite World have all risen to meet a generally higher standard.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In his mind, however, he's very much still a thirty-year-old man,

heh im thinking overlord as am reading this and I'm sold.

loved rising of the shield hero so if this is similar then perhaps ill enjoy it is well.
we need more variation on the "guys taken to a parallel world that functions like an MMORPG" that aren't clones or rather boring.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Quote:
In his mind, however, he's very much still a thirty-year-old man,

heh im thinking overlord as am reading this and I'm sold.

loved rising of the shield hero so if this is similar then perhaps ill enjoy it is well.
we need more variation on the "guys taken to a parallel world that functions like an MMORPG" that aren't clones or rather boring.

True. The lead could be a girl, for instance. Razz
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

there area bunch of those, my afavorite being "get naked" because the mc has already looped twice as a man so she can notice the inherent sexism present in society.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

there area bunch of those, my afavorite being "get naked" because the mc has already looped twice as a man so she can notice the inherent sexism present in society.

It doesn't count when the MC is male mentally and only female physically (usually because he retains his male identity from his former life, see also Tanya). Let's get a light novel series about an actual born-and-raised girl or woman protagonist transported to another world that's popular enough to get an anime adaptation and/or an English publication in this decade. There used to be tons of isekai action stories with girls before the real-life video game boom: Fushigi Yugi, Twelve Kingdoms, Escaflowne, and shojo manga classics like Red River and From Far Away that weren't adapted into anime series but were still popular enough to get English publication, but the trend has shifted and "isekai/transported to another world" with any amount of action and adventure rarely star girls, at least the ones popular enough to get anime adaptations and English print publications. There's room enough in this overcrowded genre for more variety than that. I have hope that Miya Kazuki's Honzuki no Gekokujo, about a female aspiring librarian getting reincarnated into a world with a low literacy rate and trying to change her new world, might get an anime adaptation, but it's been over a month since its "important announcement" and there's been no news yet.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I just mentioned my favorite one, I read a few other ones, but they are pretty much the same flavor as any shoujo series with the isekai sprinkle to them.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I just mentioned my favorite one, I read a few other ones, but they are pretty much the same flavor as any shoujo series with the isekai sprinkle to them.

Uh, there aren't a whole lot of shoujo isekai where the female leads react to themselves in the mirror by wanting to ogle their bodies. And they don't have quite the same otaku-ish flavoring that a number of 'transported to a fantasy world' series these days do because those girls weren't gamers being transported to RPG world so much as regular girls being dropped into fantasy worlds. These days, most male protagonists of the isekai genre HANDLE their fantasy worlds like gamers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2