• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Master Licenses.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
It appears that someone went ham on labeling a bunch of shows streaming on Crunchyroll as the company being the master license holder. Some examples are Rokka: Brave of the Six Flowers, Garakowa, My Wife is the Student Council President, and so on. Their source is 'an email from a Crunchyroll representative'. However things like Rokka can't possibly belong to Crunchyroll for master rights since, from my understanding, Ponycan USA is the full rights holder due to Ponycan being on the production team. I started reporting the errors but there are far too many to go through. A clean up might be in order?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Looking at Rokka the wording suggests.. yes, it was a staff member.
It might be that they are the master licensor for regions outside the US - apparently the poster announcing the UK license had the Crunchyroll logo. I can't find a picture but here's the Twitter thread about it: https://twitter.com/ukanime/status/792746316120133636

Crunchyroll have been involved in theatrical screenings for Garakowa, which isn't normal for a company with a streaming license, e.g. "In cooperation with Pony Canyon and Peppermint Anime, Garakowa -Restore the World- will be screened at seven cinemas in Germany and Austria as part of the annual Peppermint Anime Festival!" (http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-930013/movie-premiere-garakowa-restore-the-world-)

For the one with the long title, there's this: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?54650-Media-Blasters-Acquires-My-Wife-is-the-Student-Council-President&p=355729&viewfull=1#post355729
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
There has been a long discussion related to this on Wikipedia. Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Anime_and_manga#Ongoing_edit_wars_over_licensees_on_multiple_articles. To summarize, a Crunchyroll employee has been adding that Crunchyroll is the master license holder for a lot of anime. I think at this point it has been verified over on Wikipedia that the person really is a Crunchyroll employee. My assumption is that it is the same person who is adding those licenses over there. Since it is verified that they are a Crunchyroll employee (again, assuming it is the same person), I think most of what they are listing is trustworthy.

One license that has generated a lot of disagreement over on Wikipedia is Haikyuu season 3, where Crunchyroll claimed in a press release to be the master licensee (animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2017-01-24/crunchyroll-announces-winter-2017-anime-lineup/.111421), but Sentai has also licensed the series. My opinion is that means that Sentai licensed the show from Crunchyroll, and Crunchyroll licensed it from the Japanese companies. I think the same is probably true for some other shows that Crunchyroll claims to be the master licensee for but that other companies have also licensed (like My Wife is the Student Council President).

So basically, my opinion is that the information being added probably is correct, and that Crunchyroll is the master licensee for those titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1