• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KADO - The Right Answer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
I like hyper scientist girl. She's actually a very effective way to get across a different perspective with only a few lines.

She's a very ineffective way to get across a different perspective because she's so irritating I immediately try to tune her out or just skip ahead to whenever she stops bouncing off the walls like a hyper five year old. The fact that her role in providing information is important makes her characterization all the more egregious. You can be amazed and awestruck and excited without being obnoxious, but unfortunately they decided to go with obnoxious.

@ Olderthandirt2: What kind of narcissist would you have to be to be attracted to someone whose appearance is based on your own? oO
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Nothing about this show screams yaoi to me so far. I guess I can see the fujo appeal in Yaha's design, but that's about it, really.

And then there's Hanamori. (Sure Hanamori, do throw yourself at the man writhing on the floor in excruciating pain, and roll around with him, and then straddle him for no good reason. I'm sure that is a good idea.) And then there's the thing that was even pointed out in this episode, that Shindou is acting almost suspiciously strange around Yaha. It's not even how calm he is but also his attitude toward Yaha is weirdly familiar, as if they were equals who have known each other for ages.

Anyway, personally I wouldn't be averse to any BL overtones but the director said in an interview that the romance elements will be male/female (most likely between Shindou and Saraka), so there's that.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Here is the science girl apologist. Quirky science people are my favorite, or at least compared to throw-away boring science guys whose only role is advancing the story without any other remarkable trait.

On another note, I'm very much looking forward to episode 4, but I'm kinda wary, since I don't know how well they're going to handle this because episode 3 seems to be the dealbreaker to mark where the show is going. I do have hopes but it could go wrong.

v1cious wrote:
Nothing about this show screams yaoi to me so far. I guess I can see the fujo appeal in Yaha's design, but that's about it, really.

I don't know you but I don't see a guy undressing his friend and putting blankets on him as very heterosexual. I mean, it's not indicative that these two will be dating or anything, but the appeal is there.
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
I don't think this series needs romance but if there is I prefer BL. It would be more interesting especially when the stage is already set between Shindou and the pretty alien male. (So I'm a teeny bit disappointed that it won't be.)
GhostOfShowsPast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote
I am loving this series with my only complaint being the scientist girl she doesn't fit the rest of the show they need to tone her down she can still be active just not what ever she is being I'm finding it a slog to get through her scenes.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving this series so far but it's quite depressing that some people might watch it (or even worse, skip it) because of apparent BL undertones. It's like, don't you already have enough anime series dealing with that kind of stuff that I have to see it spread like a plague in an anime that's actually (so far) worthwhile and seems to be aiming for something deeper as opposed to "let's introduce elements that are popular with fujoshi/otakus right now". Let me state this more clearly because I'm certainly not interested in making a debate out of this:

1. I have no issues with animes such as Free! or YOI existing, and I'm quite sure the latter is probably a decent series with an actual story that's more than bait for a certain audience. They're just not for me and that's alright: there's a place for them.

2. I would complain in a similar fashion about this series's reception if instead of "people talking about BL undertones", Kado had 3-4 pretty girls in ecchi scenes that are there just to get the attention of male otaku.

In other words, anime as a medium has, over the years, lost some of the power it used to have over people's imagination because it concentrated too much in appealing to the lowest urges of an audience as opposed to doing just a great story (such as GITS) or at least something that has tons of imagination and a distinct visual style. I like seeing attractive, sexy women like any other random male viewer but I would never mention Motoko being barely dressed as one of the reasons to watch the movie/series.

Anyhow, it's a pretty complicated subject but I guess all I'm saying is that, for a change, I'd like to see something succeed on the basis of how good it actually is instead of how much fanart it can generate on pixiv.

So far the series has started great, I hope they stick the landing because it's the most difficult thing to pull off when you try to go the smart route.
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
According to many men here it seems that fujoshi show mean "Two male character talking? OMG, it's fujoshi show! Let's drop it!" Like they do with ACCA, etc etc

Plus what's so bad that if women want to see BL undertones? Many men watch ecchi/harem because... it's ecchi. Will men watch Queen's Blade, Nisekoi or Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai if it feature all male cast with BL undertones? Hell no.

On topic: I'm loving the concept. Maybe I'm on the minority but I don't completely hate the scientist girl. She's quite okay
Kaeru89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes its great show, for me it is 10/10. And not just for saying that Sci-fi anime like this is rare. Honestly it is hard thinking what I would change in this anime.
This episode had good comic moments with Tsukai, but also good drama touching issues that maybe humanity should not really get Wam, because we are not ready. All zaShunina said is logical and I wonder if he really has no evil at all. Could he with his broad knowledge and intelligence would not predict that evil exists in our world and that some people would try to monopolise the new power?
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm calling it now that somewhere down the line Kado will need to move (or even just leave "forever") with some of the trapped passengers still on board. Hanamori seems to be the only character we're supposed to actively worry for. His character-type practically screams "human cost," and him getting moved to the back of the exit line has suddenly called into question the likelihood of all 251 passengers getting to leave on schedule. I suppose it was the most direct way to keep that plot point relevant.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Well, now we not only have bubble-brained scientist girl, but our formerly no-nonsense negotiator girl turns out to be a raging tsundere middle schooler. Can I get an adult female professional in the house? Guess not.

Everything else is a cut above, so I'm far from throwing in the towel. It's just disappointing that this could have been so much better, and I could've concentrated more on the story, if they hadn't felt the need to infantilize all their female cast for comic relief.
xyz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
They should have cut that bit between Shindou and the girl in the car. I didn't see the point in that really.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Let me say that I also do not like the personality given to longhaired negotiator chick. Or Hanamori being ovverreact-y and unprofessional. Please stop putting your anime stereotypes in my sedate SF procedural, thank you. (And it's annoying that 2/3 of the female cast is obnoxious... This series is obviously all about the dudes, but still...) At least it looks like hyper scientist girl is going to get blown up next episode or something.

Paul wrote:
Details like the way he materializes a floating pair of hands instead of actually moving his arms are neat

I think those are his arms, he's just detouring them through hyperspace. Same amount of effort, but a more convenient angle, or something.

ryanvamp wrote:
I'm loving this series so far but it's quite depressing that some people might watch it (or even worse, skip it) because of apparent BL undertones. It's like, don't you already have enough anime series dealing with that kind of stuff that I have to see it spread like a plague in an anime that's actually (so far) worthwhile and seems to be aiming for something deeper as opposed to "let's introduce elements that are popular with fujoshi/otakus right now". [snip]

In other words, anime as a medium has, over the years, lost some of the power it used to have over people's imagination because it concentrated too much in appealing to the lowest urges of an audience as opposed to doing just a great story (such as GITS) or at least something that has tons of imagination and a distinct visual style. I like seeing attractive, sexy women like any other random male viewer but I would never mention Motoko being barely dressed as one of the reasons to watch the movie/series.

I would like the series so far even without the BL tease, but face it, the writers gave Kado BL tease (and alien dude's nekked butt) as well as an interesting story. You can have both; Major whatsherface of GITS being essentially nude was certainly intended to be a draw for the readership, and I'm sure many male readers found it a plus even if they also appreciated the philosophical stuff.
PumpkinMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, now we not only have bubble-brained scientist girl, but our formerly no-nonsense negotiator girl turns out to be a raging tsundere middle schooler. Can I get an adult female professional in the house? Guess not.

Everything else is a cut above, so I'm far from throwing in the towel. It's just disappointing that this could have been so much better, and I could've concentrated more on the story, if they hadn't felt the need to infantilize all their female cast for comic relief.

xyz wrote:
They should have cut that bit between Shindou and the girl in the car. I didn't see the point in that really.

Oh good, I'm not alone in this!

Seriously, I was so stoked when that bureaucrat said Tsukai was coming back from UN negotiations during her intro scene. That alone should speak volumes about her ability to handle people, particularly people with different cultural backgrounds. And yet she giggled during a broadcasted negotiation and then was childish about it later. Plus, I'm not even sure she did any negotiating in episode 3. I was expecting episode 4 to pick up immediately after Yaha-kui introduced the Wam, with Tsukai and that other guy privately discussing the pros and cons of the Wam and how to move forward with negotiations during a break, so we could see how Tsukai negotiates and maybe differs from Shindo, but instead we jump ahead to after the negotiations. Tsukai was really just there to serve as a mouthpiece for the audience, asking questions so Yaha-kui could give answers to the viewers. Nothing we've seen about Tsukai speaks to the level of skill we've been led to believe she has despite her age.

As for that quirky scientist girl--man, it feels like she was created just to be a quirky scientist girl. For all the interest she's shown in Kado and Yaha-kui, I don't buy her enthusiasm. I want someone like Okabe from Stein's;Gate, who spouts paranoid nonsense and argues with Kurisu over the possibility of time travel using a variety of theories, or like Koushiro/Izzy from Digimon Tri, who can go on and on about technology even when his friends tune him out. With Okabe and Izzy, I can buy that they're people who are passionate about time travel and science, but I don't feel much genuine passion from the scientist girl, no matter how much she talks about fregonics or gods. For me, her best scene so far as been the quick dash through the office where Shindo, Tsukai, and that scientist are talking, since it at least implies she's so interested in her work that she'd ignore social niceties to grab an important device, and all without shoving her bubbly quirkiness into my face. I'm hoping she improves as her role in the story grows, but I'm not holding my breath.

So really, the only female 'adult' in the room is the woman from episode 0, and after this episode, I'm worried she's just there to be the jealous woman who side-eyes Tsukai for working closely with Shindo. Sad

Man, I really things improve quickly for these ladies.

Edited to add: I'm somewhat with lebrel on Hanamori. I'm not against him freaking out over situations like an alien space-cube landing on a plane or being given the same authority as the prime minister of Japan, since that would throw off anybody in his shoes, but I feel like he's really just there to be the funny man to Shindo's straight man rather than a competent co-worker and Shindo's friend. Even in episode 0, where stakes were the lowest, I couldn't help wondering why Hanamori was even there, except to make Shindo look better by comparison.

Having said all that, I'm still curious enough to keep watching, though I kinda' wish I hadn't heard about this show til after the season ended, because this really feels like the kind of thing that should be binged rather than watched weekly. There's so much time spent recapping or reviewing what happened last episode that the actual meat of the episode always feels lacking, and there's not enough (meaningful) character development or interaction to pick up the slack.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree on Tsukai. It was great that they had installed her as negotiator. I didn't even mind the laugh last episode but the scene in the car was really unwarranted. It was basically building up Shindo at her expense. She's not the only character they have done that with. That's basically Hanamori's role as well but it's a bit frustrating when there is so few female cast members.

I still like scientist girl though. I'm hoping her natural obliviousness will keep them from doing the same thing to her character.
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
It's predictable but still hilarious how they make the whole WAM thing needlessly complicated. The holy grail of energy falls into your lap and people lean more towards armageddon than paradise. Their primary fears are almost entirely unfounded. Can the WAM exacerbate global warming? No. There are no emissions and even though the potential energy is limitless the output is limited by the means humans have to draw out that energy. Can the Earth be warmed by the heat radiated from billions of devices without a power limit? Well, can the ocean be emptied onto the beach? No, it cannot. The Earth is constantly bombarded with a near incalculable amount of solar energy and if most of that energy didn't have a means of radiating from Earth back into outer space, then Earth would be just like Venus, a planet so hot it rains metal. Let that sink in for a bit.

Now if there was suddenly an orb that produced an endless supply of clean water, that should definitely be banned since water is matter that cannot leave Earth. But if the orb simply gathers and purifies existing water, then all is well.

Also, I agree that certain characters are a bit too anime-y, but to be fair it IS an anime, and with Japan being Japan some things just can't be helped. I have no problems with the male-female ratio though since it is realistic. Bureaucracy and politics are predominantly male occupied fields, though the disparity is nothing compared to your typical developers conference:

LOL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9