• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I don't particularly care for Nunnally. At all. Forstadt's performance does NOT help much, since she's trying way too hard to sound like a little girl (Nunnally is about fourteen). But even then, it's partially not her fault. The character is so generically nice and cute and utterly inoffensive that it's hard to get me to give a sh*t about her.[...]there is no role for Nunnally to play in the story that cannot be filled by Shirley or Sayoko or even Marianne. Nunnally, to put it bluntly, is POINTLESS. When I look at her, I do not see a character. I see a marketing tool calculated to squeeze as much money from moe-loving otaku as humanly possible.

To be honest, I think it's difficult to clearly draw the lines without direct knowledge of the situation. In a few words, storytelling and marketing are often overlapping in anime as well as in the entire entertainment industry.

I don't have any sort of personal interest in "moe" (neither in the purely protective sense nor any other) and I didn't really like the performance of the English voice actress either. However, the character still ended up playing a practical role in the story as it stands, regardless of whether she was handled perfectly or not. If you want to talk about a truly pointless character, there's always Rivalz.

I can see how you could split Nunnally's existing role into several characters and that would seem to work in several cases, especially during the first season, but I think that would lead to some very different consequences in the long run. If you take her out of the story, I don't see Lelouch reacting in quite the same way to various events, nor would the dramatic irony of the whole situation come across in the same manner at certain points. It's also possible that the character might end up playing a completely different role in the upcoming production, thus further modifying the analysis in retrospect. That said, you are clearly free to think otherwise.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I don't particularly care for Nunnally. At all. Forstadt's performance does NOT help much, since she's trying way too hard to sound like a little girl (Nunnally is about fourteen). But even then, it's partially not her fault. The character is so generically nice and cute and utterly inoffensive that it's hard to get me to give a sh*t about her.[...]there is no role for Nunnally to play in the story that cannot be filled by Shirley or Sayoko or even Marianne. Nunnally, to put it bluntly, is POINTLESS. When I look at her, I do not see a character. I see a marketing tool calculated to squeeze as much money from moe-loving otaku as humanly possible.

To be honest, I think it's difficult to clearly draw the lines without direct knowledge of the situation. In a few words, storytelling and marketing are often overlapping in anime as well as in the entire entertainment industry.

I don't have any sort of personal interest in "moe" (neither in the purely protective sense nor any other) and I didn't really like the performance of the English voice actress either. However, the character still ended up playing a practical role in the story as it stands, regardless of whether she was handled perfectly or not. If you want to talk about a truly pointless character, there's always Rivalz.

I can see how you could split Nunnally's existing role into several characters and that would seem to work in several cases, especially during the first season, but I think that would lead to some very different consequences in the long run. If you take her out of the story, I don't see Lelouch reacting in quite the same way to various events, nor would the dramatic irony of the whole situation come across in the same manner at certain points. It's also possible that the character might end up playing a completely different role in the upcoming production, thus further modifying the analysis in retrospect. That said, you are clearly free to think otherwise.

I do understand where you're coming from. Allow me to elaborate a bit further. Ever heard of the sexy lamp test? Basically, if you replace Character X with a lamp, what changes? If your answer is "nothing", then congratulations, you have failed to create a character with agency and/or relevancy. Nunnally does not pass the sexy lamp test throughout the first season. (The second season is a different story in that it gives her something to do, but that's one of the few nice things I have to say about it). She sits there and acts cute. That's it. Shirley, a character with arguably less relevance in the plot, does more in five episodes than Nunnally does throughout the entire run. Really the best way to fix this is to either give Nunnally something to do that can't be filled by another character or excise her from the story entirely.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
CLAMP seems to be a fan of "fragile little sister who does nothing". :/

Thank God for CCS Anime hyper that's all I gotta say.

Quote:
Also, Chiibi is threatening our friendship by refusing to watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Its pretty hard on me.

SHUT UP, LOUIS. Razz

So, I finished Gekijouban Kara no Kyoukai.

As others said, it finishes rather strongly. While I was muddling through the fifth film and getting very lost, I did not have those problems with films 6 and 7. 7 of course explains a lot of questions I needed answered. And the climax is actually quite touching. I think it could have worked much better if I understood Mikiya's feelings. He remains as a character I find hard to understand though. Shiki, on the other hand, yes, I totally get why she loves him and her reaction to spoiler[his supposed death] was genuinely sad and heartfelt so that part works well enough. Their moment after the credits was also pretty damn cute. The series would do better to put more moments like that in the previous movies. I'm not sure if they just wanted to be more subtle about this relationship or felt it contrasted too much with the dark nature of the series. Maybe both.

The animation and the music are consistently beautiful throughout all the movies. I still think Madhouse's best is a teeny bit better than ufotable's best though. Please don't throw rocks at me. :'D
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
@ Chiibi

Don't look at CLAMP; they only did the character designs.

Progress Report:

It's Day One of the Titan-thon for me, and OMG THESE SCOUTS ARE TOTAL DORKS. Seriously, I forgot how likable Eren and pals are. From gluttnous Sasha, to smarmy and cynical Jean, I just enjoyed watching these trainees. Eren especially is starting to become one of my favorite leads in anime, particularly because he's such a passionate, heart-over-head, emotional wreck. Five episodes down, twenty more and four more days to go.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
@ Chiibi

Don't look at CLAMP; they only did the character designs.

...........I totally forgot about that. Anime hyper

(yeah, I love Eren too :3 lol I should finish AoT so I can enjoy season 2 with the rest of the world Anime hyper)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
(yeah, I love Eren too :3 lol I should finish AoT so I can enjoy season 2 with the rest of the world Anime hyper)

Well, sweet mother Theresa on the hood of a Mercedes Benz you should finish the first season.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I knew I was going to get yelled at for that. :'D Shoulda kept my mouth shut....
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Admittedly, Attack on Titan has one of the smallest differences in the ratio between how good the anime is and how good people say it is. I still don't think its worth Anime of the Year or anything.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Well, back in 2014, I watched the first cour in about two days and really enjoyed it. Then I got mad they changed the OP. Laughing

I can't remember the real reason I stopped but I blame my ADD on unfinished shows that I still liked. That list is a mile long.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Well, back in 2014, I watched the first cour in about two days and really enjoyed it. Then I got mad they changed the OP. Laughing

WHAT? The 2nd opening is good too. Or decent. I thought both openings fit the show very well and I like them but I wouldn't listen to the full versions. But I personally do hate it when a show with a good opening changes the opening to a bad one. Like... Getbackers? Uhh... I can't think of good examples. Umm.. Code Geass' S1 opening 1 is fantastic, the 2nd opening almost makes my ears bleed. Why the fudge did they use the awesome 3rd opening for only like 2 episodes? What a waste. Should have ditched that 2nd opening and use the 3rd one instead.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

WHAT? The 2nd opening is good too. Or decent. I thought both openings fit the show very well and I like them but I wouldn't listen to the full versions.

I have a full version of Guren No Yumiya Anime hyper And the TV edit. On the same CD. :'D

Quote:
Umm.. Code Geass' S1 opening 1 is fantastic, the 2nd opening almost makes my ears bleed. Why the fudge did they use the awesome 3rd opening for only like 2 episodes? What a waste. Should have ditched that 2nd opening and use the 3rd one instead.

OH MAN, YAH. That second OP was AWFUL but that third was the best piece in the whole franchise!!! Anime hyper
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who hated the second opening! Although the third opening is a guilty pleasure of mine. Yeah, the song itself is obviously overproduced, but it's lyrically relevant and has a catchy beat.

I'll be back to post my thoughts on Titan-thon Day Two.

UPDATE:

Day Two of the Titan-thon! Ten episodes down, three days and fifteen more to go! I think the best way to describe the theme of this series is through the word "dehumanization". More specifically, it's about how fine the line is between man and beast, and how easy it is to do terrible things to fellow people when you no longer see them as people. This is best demonstrated in Mikasa's flashback. Seven-year-old Eren killed two men to save her life, and when his father finds out, Eren justifies this by claiming the men who had kidnapped Mikasa were monsters. In other words "It's okay that I killed those guys. It's not like they're people like us!" Now, this will all make more sense the further you go along in the story, but I find it interesting how early these themes crop up.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Spent this morning finishing up Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. A woman named Kobayashi lives her days as an office worker and resides alone in her condo. It wasn't until she met Tohru, a distressed dragon capable of transforming into a lovely human girl, that her life would never be the same...

I had a fun time watching MKDM! The ending was quite an adorable sight. Anime catgrin
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Watched episode 1 of Rakugo at Castle Point Anime Con. Did NOT expect it to be an hour long. I enjoyed what I saw.

Also, am I the only one who is pissed off that at that con, they showed Ouran dubbed because of course they did, yet they showed BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad subbed. Like... what!? BECK is one of those "dub or go home" shows, but Ouran is typically agreed to be better subbed.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
BECK is one of those "dub or go home" shows

I watched it subbed... There was quite a bit of Engrish if I remember correctly. Still was a good show though, might try the dub if I ever rewatch it. I don't like listening to English VAs pronouncing Japanese names though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 976 of 1061