• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor Anime's English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NATSU DRAGNEEL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
monica rial is going to be awesome in this and Josh Grelle
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
Say what you will about Josh Grelle being cast as yet another harem-esque protagonist, he's really great in this role. I knew going in that he was gonna kill it. Everyone else sounds pretty good too, especially Christopher Wehkamp as Halley, who sounds nothing like any other role of his I'm familiar with. He was hysterical! Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Say what you will about Josh Grelle being cast as yet another harem-esque protagonist, he's really great in this role. I knew going in that he was gonna kill it. Everyone else sounds pretty good too, especially Christopher Wehkamp as Halley, who sounds nothing like any other role of his I'm familiar with. He was hysterical! Laughing

Hey, I enjoy Josh being in harem shows! This is especially when Monica is involved.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
I thought the first episode was fine enough. I didn't really see the problems that some other people did. The performances were pretty good throughout, you can never go wrong with Josh Grelle and Monica Rial. Rachael Messer sounded pretty good as well.

Also I can't be the only person that finds it funny that Jad Saxton is playing a character named Wendy in a show about magic.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

Hey, I enjoy Josh being in harem shows! This is especially when Monica is involved.

not quite. everyone wasn't too keen when he was voicing super pervert aoi in kyokai senjou no horizon. it was more or less clear when depending on who you talk too, he was a hit or miss as the new issei. while those like it, a lot others unfortunately preferred him doing males that are the oblivious and girl phobic types like ichika orimura from infinite stratos or shido from the date a live series and not males that are super perverts like aoi , issei and that boob perv from aquarion evol.

not to mention that other that zeref's VA who did psuedo harem series by voicing ikita salork from Nejimaki Seirei Senki Tenkyo no Alderamin & kanata from Sky Wizards Academy , or touma kamajo's VA , josh is basically the only choice funi have when it comes to harem based series like this since unfortunately since freeman effed his whole career with his legal troubles and ayres aka negi springfield have pretty much given up on genre like those and is pretty much only voicing series that are licensed by sentai lately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

not quite. everyone wasn't too keen when he was voicing super pervert aoi in kyokai senjou no horizon. it was more or less clear when depending on who you talk too, he was a hit or miss as the new issei. while those like it, a lot others unfortunately preferred him doing males that are the oblivious and girl phobic types like ichika orimura from infinite stratos or shido from the date a live series and not males that are super perverts like aoi , issei and that boob perv from aquarion evol.

not to mention that other that zeref's VA who did psuedo harem series by voicing ikita salork from Nejimaki Seirei Senki Tenkyo no Alderamin & kanata from Sky Wizards Academy , or touma kamajo's VA , josh is basically the only choice funi have when it comes to harem based series like this since unfortunately since freeman effed his whole career with his legal troubles and ayres aka negi springfield have pretty much given up on genre like those and is pretty much only voicing series that are licensed by sentai lately.

I feel like a lot of this is based on speculation and personal bias that has little if anything to do with the performances in the show than actual fact (minus the Scott Freeman comment). Also I doubt that person cares what everyone else thinks. Pretty sure they're comment was about they themselves liking Josh Grelle in these sort of shows.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
How could you forget Joel as Minato in both "Sekirei" seasons?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
It was so funny to watch the last dubbed episode of Masamune-kun no Revenge and then straight after this new dub. Honestly it felt like copy paste with all VA xD.

It sounded great though Smile
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Jeremy Inman announced on twitter that he is the director
KevinAmbrose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
The harem king is back! Very Happy Josh Grelle back at it again with another one of them roles as a protagonist in a harem-Esque show
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
KevinAmbrose wrote:
The harem king is back! Very Happy Josh Grelle back at it again with another one of them roles as a protagonist in a harem-Esque show

Let's recap: 2 seasons each of "Date A Live", "Freezing", "Horizon", and "Infinite Stratos"; "Majikoi", "The Devil is A Part-Timer!", "Horizon", "Future Diary", "Masamune-Kun's Revenge", "Mondaiji-tachi", and now this series. He is the harem king.

Punch Drunk Marc, I think that was intentional they cast Jad as Wendy.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I feel like a lot of this is based on speculation and personal bias that has little if anything to do with the performances in the show than actual fact (minus the Scott Freeman comment). Also I doubt that person cares what everyone else thinks. Pretty sure they're comment was about they themselves liking Josh Grelle in these sort of shows.

afraid not. its nothing biased at all. and those "speculations" are not just from my opinions either. their also from other users at other anime forums.specifically fellow dub fans and dub elitists.

dont get me wrong , he's fine when doing male harem characters, its that it depends on that character's personality. and its most dub fans from other forums tend to prefer him as male harem characters that have an oblivious / girl phobic persona (ichika) over the perverted over the top male leads (aoi , issei )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1