• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anchor Bay to Release Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions Film on Home Video, Digital HD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Can they do it with Pokemon too?
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping that they don't screw this up. With the amount of issues that their Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex BDs have, it's hard to believe right now that this will be a good release.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Let's not forget that they screwed up the GITS95 movie as well and 3 releases later haven't fixed it. Not buying anything with their label on it ever again.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Anchor Bay of all companies? Really? After that horrible stunt they pulled with the Ghost in the Shell SAC Blu-rays I can't trust them for the life of me! As someone else pointed out, they even messed up the 1995 film release too. To hell with Anchor Bay, it is the worst pick for distributing anime.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I want to be excited since they're including the Japanese version, but Anchor Bay makes me nervous...
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with Anchor Bay but it makes me a little nervous hearing what others are saying about this as I'm very excited for this release. Mildly suprised Cinedigm didn't handle this like with the rest of the YGO franchise. Hope at least the digital version comes out okay.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Let's not forget that they screwed up the GITS95 movie as well and 3 releases later haven't fixed it. Not buying anything with their label on it ever again.

Kon'Doriano wrote:
As someone else pointed out, they even messed up the 1995 film release too. To hell with Anchor Bay, it is the worst pick for distributing anime.

The Ghost in the Shell movie BD was authored by Manga UK since their recent releases has the exact same problems so if Anchor Bay is to blame for anything, it's not doing (or trying to do) the work themselves, especially for the steelbook release that came out this month which has the exact same disc.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'm not familiar with Anchor Bay but it makes me a little nervous hearing what others are saying about this as I'm very excited for this release. Mildly suprised Cinedigm didn't handle this like with the rest of the YGO franchise. Hope at least the digital version comes out okay.

It went something like this Anchor Bay was a video distributor that was bought out by Starz, they then went and bought Manga which originally co-produced GITS. They are now all owned by Lionsgate, but this is probably how Anchor Bay got their hands on GITS. Their anime releases so far have had many problems, and this is why people are wary about any of their releases.

Options for GITS95 BD include the latest Japanese release (same region A coding) which has subtitles and PCM audio for both dubs. An affordable release for GITS: SAC1&2 on BD would be the Korean release (still same region A as NA).
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
^There's also 2.0 which I don't recall hearing anything bad about except with how they included the original version upscaled as an extra.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
It'll be so good to hear those voices again, great stuff that they thankfully even got the supporting ones like Tea's, etc. back too. Really like the look of the new animation and updated designs in the trailer.

Yeah, it sucked that after all that waiting the SAC blu-rays ended up such a mess. One of the best shows, deserved a lot more care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1