• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: This Summer's New Swimming Anime Will Get Female Fans Thirsty

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
This isn't free anymore..it's DIVING!!
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Amazing, more of this stuff is great to see. Wink
Ochinchinsama69

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
As a Shotacon,the character designs got me excited as fudge
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Eh. On the one hand I'm happy that anime has reached a point where it's not a boys' own club anymore, with special "girl nights" if you please. I used to be so annoyed that I couldn't watch a damn show that I found interesting without being constantly reminded that it was made with guys in mind - blatant male gaze, panty shots, T&A, boob jiggles, sexy costumes for girls only, what have you. Nowadays anime is not any less fanservicey, but at least female viewers are not an afterthought anymore - we even get our own shows dedicated to female gaze with the characters being all "please write doujinshi about us! look, we'll even pose suggestively for you" or just outright/borderline BL.

On the other hand, as a female anime viewer who has been watching anime since the '90s and has been into yaoi/BL for pretty much just as long, I've long reached a level (or maybe age) where "OMG BARELY COVERED DUDES11!!1" and "EEEE BL SUBTEXT MIGHT AS WELL BE TEXT!!111!1" just don't do anything to me anymore. Yes, the boys are nearly naked. Yes, they're being fanservicey. Yawn. Is there anything else to it? (Like... adult dudes? I'd even settle for some hot adult dudes who actually look like adults.)
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Eh. On the one hand I'm happy that anime has reached a point where it's not a boys' own club anymore, with special "girl nights" if you please. I used to be so annoyed that I couldn't watch a damn show that I found interesting without being constantly reminded that it was made with guys in mind - blatant male gaze, panty shots, T&A, boob jiggles, sexy costumes for girls only, what have you. Nowadays anime is not any less fanservicey, but at least female viewers are not an afterthought anymore - we even get our own shows dedicated to female gaze with the characters being all "please write doujinshi about us! look, we'll even pose suggestively for you" or just outright/borderline BL.

On the other hand, as a female anime viewer who has been watching anime since the '90s and has been into yaoi/BL for pretty much just as long, I've long reached a level (or maybe age) where "OMG BARELY COVERED DUDES11!!1" and "EEEE BL SUBTEXT MIGHT AS WELL BE TEXT!!111!1" just don't do anything to me anymore. Yes, the boys are nearly naked. Yes, they're being fanservicey. Yawn. Is there anything else to it? (Like... adult dudes? I'd even settle for some hot adult dudes who actually look like adults.)

I understand where you're coming from but isn't this the first time they actually have depth to their bulges? Just saying, Free! was kind of flat on the details as far as their endowment. Shocked These guys are definitely going deep (finally). Twisted Evil

Either way, our market could always use some more fanservice and there's no such thing as too much yaoi. The one thing I've been waiting for is an actual bara anime if not a modern one though.
Vizo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
SHD wrote:

I understand where you're coming from but isn't this the first time they actually have depth to their bulges? Just saying, Free! was kind of flat on the details as far as their endowment. Shocked These guys are definitely going deep (finally). Twisted Evil

Either way, our market could always use some more fanservice and there's no such thing as too much yaoi. The one thing I've been waiting for is an actual bara anime if not a modern one though.

Agreed! I could definitely go for a bara anime. Maybe some day.
These guys look too shota for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
It's not the muscles that are the problem, it's how they're drawn. They just... don't look nice.

I have the same problem with Free! and YOI, too, actually. They just don't look sensual.
Kamigami no Asobi and Touken Ranbu look more like what I like. Also, in mecha shows when they wear tight pilot suits (e.g. Suzaku Kururugi).

.... and some of the art from Joker Game has those guys in speedos with bulges.

(And if you want hot guys who look ~20+ and not like kids, check the senior group from Tsukiuta)
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Anime and manga have never been a "boys club". Series for females have existed since the 1960, one of which still airs to this day and is Japan's #1 anime. That also says nothing abouts sports series that have attracted females viewers which have been around since at least Captain Tsubasa back in 1981, which is also nothing new. It sounds like you are judging an entire medium based on one show you saw.

-Stuart Smith
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason the boys look so plastic? The second image looks fine but the other two makes me feel like everyone's wearing a skin-tight bodysuit.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Holy wrong approach to understanding the popularity of Free! Batman :/

Free! had gorgeous animation. That the guys were part of that animation was a bonus. Free! also had a compelling storyline about finding out who you want to grow into and the impact of trauma.

Not liking how this article seems to distill its popularity down to titillation, otherwise BL would be way more popular than it is. Series with outright sex don't get 1% of the doujinshi that series like Yuri!!! on Ice with an emotional core bring (with Victor and Yuuri now being THE most popular pairing, heterosexual or homosexual, in Japan right now).
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Free! proved once and for all that fujoshi have money to spend too. Yuri on Ice just served as a reminder.

Incoming abs and biceps filled body pillows and doujinshis.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't like sports anime so I'm not the target market anyway but boy golly do these guys look weird to me. Like Morry said, it's like they're wearing skin-tight bodysuits, or, as I was seeing it, some kinda plasticy muscle suit.
The characters also look pretty generic just from how their looks portray their personalities alone.

But if the writing is strong enough (or corny enough) then I suppose it could still be successful........

Also, it's really creepy seeing animu dudes with moe faces, semi realistic muscular bodies, and then no nipples. I should be used to it by now but I continue to be frightened by freakish nipple-less chests.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
The more anime featuring some muscular swimmers, the merrier! Smile Summer is going to be loads of fun!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't 'wet' have been a more appropriate euphemism? I get that thirst relates to sexual appetite but it doesn't make nearly as much sense as 'wet' for a swimming/diving anime if sexual arousal was the main description goal.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, great. Another series for fangirls and fujoshi. My nucleus is trembling in excitement [/sarcasm]

I'm glad that there's more stuff for girls and women to enjoy, but honestly, I'm kind of tired about the current sports series trends: It's all about hot guys so fangirls can fight to the death for their "love", and fujoshi will turn a perfectly single character into a mewling bottom. It's always been this bad, to the point where the technicalities of the sport are quite often lost

Now I'm expecting to be banned. Thus spoke the lactic acid microbe.

Last edited by Lactobacillus yogurti on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4