• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keijo!!!!!!!! Manga Creator Explains Cancellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jirg1901

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
Davonepresley wrote:
This...doesn't make sense, at least to me. Quite frankly, why would Shokugan, or even the companies involved in the anime's production, bother even making an anime adaptation if the manga was already essentially doomed? Especially considering the fact that the anime came out 3+ years after the manga's debut. Like i said on Twitter, either the anime was a truly DESPERATE last ditch effort to increase sales, or the anime was just too far in development for the production committees to cancel it.

Not the first time. Medaka Box got two seasons despite consistently placing like crap in the Weekly Shounen Jump popularity rankings and ended just as quickly after. (almost the exact same dates as Keijo four years earlier, in fact)
joe_g7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
That's pretty sad to hear, I hope his next work gets treated better by the publisher.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Davonepresley wrote:
This...doesn't make sense, at least to me. Quite frankly, why would Shokugan, or even the companies involved in the anime's production, bother even making an anime adaptation if the manga was already essentially doomed?

Just because a manga is finishing doesn't mean it's "Doomed" sales wise. There's hope that the volumes to come will be boosted along with earlier volumes. There have been several examples recently admittedly more story driven shows finishing the manga at the same time as the anime was broadcast (Erased, Your Lie in April) so it's not unprecedented. Besides Keijo had a pretty good run with 18 volumes!

Masamune-kun's Revenge is ending and got a anime last season.
Is not very usual, but happens.
Danu06

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He had also previously been told that if the anime had one more sponsor, it could have also been broadcast in western Japan. He claimed that Shogakukan did not sponsor the anime, but admitted that he cannot confirm if this is true.

So only a part of Japan was able to watch the anime...I see a lot of stupid marketing actions here.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Danu06 wrote:
Quote:
He had also previously been told that if the anime had one more sponsor, it could have also been broadcast in western Japan. He claimed that Shogakukan did not sponsor the anime, but admitted that he cannot confirm if this is true.

So only a part of Japan was able to watch the anime...I see a lot of stupid marketing actions here.

Late night time time slots are not that cheap. If you look, many animes are show only in certain TV channels that only cover parts of the country. All depends of how much money the production committee are willing to spend, and were the show will sold the best.

On this case seams like the money were pretty short, so not many money to buy time slots.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
On this case seams like the money were pretty short, so not many money to buy time slots.

It still does not add up. At best we can say it is unheard (no matter how low budget a full cour is) that a new anime series would not be shown in most of japan. At worst this sounds like sabotage, I think I read that one production committee member had pulled out before production started, I didn't thought that was relevant at the time, but if this series did made 7k in sales we should be talking about a second season, not about the manga cancellation.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Danu06 wrote:
Quote:

Late night time time slots are not that cheap. If you look, many animes are show only in certain TV channels that only cover parts of the country. All depends of how much money the production committee are willing to spend, and were the show will sold the best.

Not to mention that outside big places like Tokyo not much anime is broadcast at all. I live in Fukuoka and it's slim pickings, I think we get like 4-6 shows per anime season or something, not counting the kids shows that air during prime time. Which is kinda silly when you consider that Fukuoka is the largest city in Kyushu and is by now means 'small' but still.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

It still does not add up. At best we can say it is unheard (no matter how low budget a full cour is) that a new anime series would not be shown in most of japan. At worst this sounds like sabotage, I think I read that one production committee member had pulled out before production started, I didn't thought that was relevant at the time, but if this series did made 7k in sales we should be talking about a second season, not about the manga cancellation.

those are not mutually exclusive at all, they can cancel the manga yet make more anime seasons, we ocasionally get anime of mangas that have since long finished, "worse" case they can repritn the manga if they see interesting increasing.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

It still does not add up. At best we can say it is unheard (no matter how low budget a full cour is) that a new anime series would not be shown in most of japan.

Keojo - Tokyo MX, AT-X, BS11

Hayate the Combat Butler - TV Tokyo
Hundred - TV Tokyo AT-X BS Japan
World Break - TV Tokyo, TVO, TVA, AT-X
Chrome Shelled Regios - SUN-TV, Tokyo MX
Code Geass - MBS, Animax

Sometimes it happens. Is rare but sometimes low budget makes that producers only bet on few stations. Maybe is best if the bet is on someone big like TV Tokyo
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Masamune-kun's Revenge is ending and got a anime last season.
Is not very usual, but happens.

In that case, the anime is being used as a final push on selling the manga as it goes into the finale, though. Masamune-kun was always in the Top5 of the magazine and most certainly was not a case of it being cancelled.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Still unfortunate greatness has ended.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
If his work was a web manga, then it might have lasted a bit longer. I also hope his publisher gives his next work better treatment.
#drone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah sad to hear, I hope to see next one soon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2