• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (compilation movies)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
Haven't read the whole thing yet but

Quote:
Second movie is too predictable and even illogical, occasional artistic shortcomings

I'm completely sure the second movie is when spoiler[ Biba ] shows up so yeah, I can see that
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
So the franchise works best when its a movie instead of a TV show. Even then, the first movie is the best option
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
I really want to watch this series, but I'm pissed off that it's not on CR. And I'm not paying $100 to AP to have that portion of the service.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I never saw the tv series but I enjoyed the compilation films immensely. The first part was better than the 2nd part. Biba didn't really bother me much but he was predictable tho. The ending was satisfying. It makes me kind of what to see the series, but the impression I got from the films was it is probably the better option like the review said. I'll definitely watch it again when they finally dub it and release the films and the series on Blu-ray.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested in hearing a little more about exactly what changed during the epilogue, in light of the fact this property is apparently going to be getting a sequel.

Quote:
This time around, I was also struck much more with the resemblance of certain scenes to others in Guilty Crown – unsurprising, given that the two have the same director and writer.

Perhaps visually or superficially speaking, I can see that in a few sequences, but not in terms of the surrounding context, characters or outcomes. I didn't really like that previous show yet had a much easier time with this series because, among other differences, the main characters were more interesting and not quite as easy to hate. Give me Ikoma or Mumei over Shu and Inori any day.

For that matter, I guess spoiler[Biba] never bothered me too much. I took into consideration that the villain of Kabaneri was supposed to be spoiler[insane as a result of his past trauma], thus the "illogical" element within his motives was far from truly inexplicable. Individuals like that are, more often than not, going to have a hard time keeping their real priorities in mind (let alone humanity's). If anything, I'd question it more for being predictable (a similar pattern has previously shown up in no small number of fictional media) rather than hard to comprehend or accept.

This might qualify as nitpicking, but the last phrase is also somewhat misleading, because the person who primarily wrote Guilty Crown was Hiroyuki Yoshino and he wasn't involved in Kabaneri, whose writer was merely the assistant/associate/deputy on that earlier show (and thus, logically enough, only wrote half as many episodes as the main writer).
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Thought when watching the TV series that the first half would have been better off as a film on its own. But if that's all you want, you're better off watching Train to Busan, unless you're REALLY into steampunk zombies.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing a little more about exactly what changed during the epilogue, in light of the fact this property is apparently going to be getting a sequel.

For those who are interested:

spoiler[The TV series just ended with Mumei giving back to Izomi the jewel that Izomi was always carrying around as a memento of his sister. That scene is still present, but what's added on is a scene of Mumei wearing that jewel like a brooch and another indicating that Izomi specifically fitted it that way and gave it to her. That symbolizes a whole bunch of things that I shouldn't need to explain if you've seen the TV series.]

And yeah, I will be curious to see if those extra scenes impact the sequel series, or if they are perhaps brought up there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Y'all gotta remember that Kabaneri is getting a second season.
Eri94

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Theron! You went to that screening? I was there too! 2nd to top row of far (facing the screen) left. Maybe I saw you :O
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I really want to watch this series, but I'm pissed off that it's not on CR. And I'm not paying $100 to AP to have that portion of the service.

If you haven't subscribed before, you can start on a free trial, and then cancel that trial right after watching the show. That's what I did back then, but I would've held out on it longer had I known that Amazon was going to stream Ronja the Robber's Daughter.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Theron! You went to that screening? I was there too! 2nd to top row of far (facing the screen) left. Maybe I saw you :O

I was about dead in the middle, right behind the five people sitting together. I do remember someone sitting where you describe, but not what they looked like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Like pachy_boy, I watched the series during a month-long free trial. You can also sign up for Amazon Prime on a month-by-month basis, which I'm considering doing in order to watch all the series they've accumulated in their add-another-monthly-fee anime channel. Or can you sign up for their anime channel without also subscribing to Prime?

I wish the movie had shown closer to here. I hope CR lets other theaters show it (i.e., that it's not just a special event sort of thing). There's a local theater that shows lots of anime (they did a special all-three-Kizumonogatari films double-night recently).
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Three of us went to the AMC showing in Vegas. Theater was full. Me and my friend have seen the series, the other had not. I enjoyed the new scenes and the English loan words getting a roaring laugh and the fact we were watching anime on the big screen. My friend who had not seen the show had many questions.

There are huge plot holes and the edits were poor especially during the second half. As Theron said it cut short the character development, so you go in seeing characters overreacting without explanation. It is more of a gateway anime set for those that aren't hardened fans or simply don't care. Overall it was a fun "kai" cut that wasn't too painful to sit through. I'm curious to hear how sales went.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jroa wrote:

For those who are interested:

spoiler[The TV series just ended with Mumei giving back to Izomi the jewel that Izomi was always carrying around as a memento of his sister. That scene is still present, but what's added on is a scene of Mumei wearing that jewel like a brooch and another indicating that Izomi specifically fitted it that way and gave it to her. That symbolizes a whole bunch of things that I shouldn't need to explain if you've seen the TV series.]

And yeah, I will be curious to see if those extra scenes impact the sequel series, or if they are perhaps brought up there.

Thank you very much for the info.

Really liked the TV series despite the weaker second half story, loved the main characters and the exciting first half of the series while just liking the second, mostly thanks to the bits of character development sprinkled around for the main cast and spoiler[Ikoma and Kurusu finally working together (good that that didn't take until season 2)], pretty much like most who didn't find the second half ruin it for them. Really glad this is getting another season.

Can't wait for the upcoming dub to re-watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1