• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Then he's able to single handily purify Heldalf over the course of what looks like a couple years.

I'm pretty sure you should start multiplying when you say decades... Those sky-scrapers don't come out of the woodwork...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I have been kind of optimistic with the anime, and I don't tend to agree with a lot of leatherhead333's negative views, but I actually kind of really agree with him this time. The anime never felt like it lived up to the promise it set itself up to, stories were rushed, characters did not change in a meaningful way, and platitudes were rested on. I am not even the sort of person that complains about platitudes, I can watch all of the truth and happiness bs that more childish shows can parade, but here I just did not like how it ended with itself.

The show just never got around how Sorey was against killing anyone, stopped an assassination of a guy who would kill others, and could not just make him an asshole without saying he was also filled with malevolence.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I too think there's something more going on with Rose and Alicia. It is very likely that they are
MEGA BEST FRIENDS!! Also, spring rolls?

Still didn't think waiting more than a month for this ending did the show any favors but I'll certainly take a late ending over no ending. Overall it was mild, but not terrible. It's kinda my sentiment regarding the whole show actually.
skywardprincessoftime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, I have so many mixed feelings about this ending. As a shipper it was great but as a general fan of the game and story it was still pretty crappy. I feel that the anime took complaints to heart and tried to fix them (ie give Alisha more screen time and cut out unnecessary parts to the story) but ignored why the game wasn't a total disaster in the first place.

If they said that this would be an alternate retelling of the game with a focus on Rose and Alisha while Sorey would be in the background, I would be more accepting of the anime. But they still made Sorey the main character and boy, his anime version is one of the most stagnant and stubbornly pure (to the point of being unrelatable and almost unlikable) characters ever. In the game, he did have character development. spoiler[As others have mentioned, Sorey learned how to actually kill] Any major development for both Sorey and Mikleo, the supposed main characters, were gone. Mikleo also remained fairly stagnant, but at least he went off on his own and questioned a few things. But even his most crucial plotline spoiler[that he was the sacrifice that Michael used to curse Heldalf] was cut (Well, implied, but never dwelled on). I don't get it. The anime spent 5 episodes on a Rose storyline that was pretty developed in the game and completely cut out Sorey and Mikleo's story. Again, if that's what they were going for that's fine, but put Sorey to the background from the beginning.

I'm disappointed the final fight was so short. It had the potential to be so awesome too.

If you played the game, the ending made more sense. You'd know that spoiler[there were several timeskips in the epilogue. First the Rose/Alisha one seemed to be a few years later but the Sorey/Mikleo one was several decades, possibly hundreds of years]

And even some of the epilogue makes zero sense. spoiler[In the game, I always got the impression that Sorey was a seraph when he reunited with Mikleo. Here, he's not only human (and hasn't aged), but he's able to still armatize with Mikleo. How? Mikleo is a Sub Lord, he needs Lailah's Prime Lord contract to armatize with Sorey. Is Sorey still contracted with Lailah? Can Lailah be contracted with more than one person, since she's already guiding new Shepard? ]

I think I've ranted enough. Just frustrating as one of the rare few that liked the game, the anime took what I liked about it and pretty much took a dump. So many plotholes. The anime adaptation should be able to stand on its own and in some instances it can't.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
There were signs that it would turn out this way in the earliest episodes of season 1, so I'm okay with accepting ZestyCross as the fluffy "what if optimism was enough?" AU. Clearly the producers were, too. Tonally, it feels more in line with Tales of Berseria, which might have even been the point. The source material got a little out of control towards the end.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Then he's able to single handily purify Heldalf over the course of what looks like a couple years.

I'm pretty sure you should start multiplying when you say decades... Those sky-scrapers don't come out of the woodwork...

In a world with magic I don't find that kind of thing unbelievable. In Berseria spoiler[seraphs were used to build stuff after all.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19