• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
I feel the opposite when it comes to the Darksiders games.The first game was fun,but it was such a mishmash of elements from different games that it had no real identity of it's own. Two was way more polished,while being more of it's own (Death was also more enjoyable to play as). Really looking forward to that third game though.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
I was in doubt of the new 3ds and why can't the switch be a do all end all console, but looking at the new 2ds' price point I can see where is the hole in the switch demographics.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ugh, just thinking about the dull, plodding mess that was Dream Team is getting me mad all over again.

I think Paper Jam was accused of that more, since it didn't give Paper Mario much to do beyond being a greatly overpowered ally in battle and too many areas just went on and on as a result of lack of creativity (there were some paper gimmicks, but not enough of them, from what I heard). Those Papercraft battles were the real slogs honestly, though I suppose the Giant Luigi battles in Dream Team and the Giant Bowser battles in Inside Story could be equally guilty of that.

New Nintendo 2DS XL:

Quote:
I loved the 3DS. It was a great platform filled with great games, and despite being saddled with the unfortunate, gracelessly aged gimmick that was stereoscopic 3D it evolved into an excellent console. But now, Nintendo, you've gotta kill this thing.

But why? It's still outperforming the Vita and not everyone owns a Switch (or wants one).
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
^ Like myself, the Sonic games and USF2 arent enough for me yet. And my classic 3DS XL is on verge of dying so N2DS is a great alternative.

About Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I felt conflicted since it is mostly a "Super Street Fighter 2" level of Update, but my worries were crushed when they changed the battle mode and is kind of worth.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ugh, just thinking about the dull, plodding mess that was Dream Team is getting me mad all over again.

I agree! Entering dreams and have Luigi have superpowers there was a great idea! Unfortunately their creativity ended there. Such a waste.
Paper Jam also had you slogging through the old areas again. But at least that one I found genuinely funny, also it had a lot of minigames to break up the monotony.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Having played mario kart 8 to death on the wii u i was burned out. That is till i picked up Deluxe and battle mode has me enjoying the game once again. Another addition to the deluxe version I don't hear enough about is the auto acceleration option which prevents me from mashing in that A button is great. My only complaint is a single joycon is gonna take some getting used to as the back bumpers are annoying held sideways.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that the Switch isn't really designed to fit into most pockets. I can get my 3DS or Vita in my pocket no problem but the size of the Switch doesn't make that viable. So honestly the Switch (when I eventually get one, as a Wii U owner the system isn't offering much so far plus I got a TON of PS4 games still to play) will be a console for me but it's highly unlikely I'll use much of it as a handheld. So since it would take a miracle for Sony to make another handheld after the Vita's sad failure* I would actually prefer an eventual proper handheld from Nintendo but I know it's sadly not going to happen.

*on that note, it's ironic for how many people claimed the Vita and Wii U "had no games", it seems just as many people are begging for the games (that apparently do exist after all) to be ported to the PS4 and Switch respectively, It's happening already with Vita/PS4 (Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Danganronpa 1 and 2, Virtue's Last Reward, and they just announced Zero Time Dilemma coming to PS4) and it seems to be beginning with Wii U/Switch as well. I admit it's a little irritating, I'm not mad at the companies for doing it as it makes sense business-wise (and I've even bought the Vita to PS4 ports and admit Gravity Rush plays better on PS4), but I don't care for particular gamers' attitudes who put down a system's library but then also beg for that library to be ported to a system they do own. As somebody who thinks the Wii U and Vita libraries were fairly satisfying but good luck convincing others with all the overwhelming negativity towards the two (thankfully places like Neogaf has a good deal of people who see the value in both systems) it's frustrating to see the port-begging sometimes.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

But why? It's still outperforming the Vita and not everyone owns a Switch (or wants one).

Yeah I don't know why people keep insisting that in order for the Switch to thrive Nintendo has to take 3DS behind the shed under the pretense that Nintendo can't have a console and a handheld coexist with one another (eventhough that's exactly what every other Nintendo console and handheld before the Switch did).

With the argument being they can take these games that are only on the 3DS and put them on the Switch as if they couldn't already do that now. It's like that wasn't initially part of.the gimmick with the Vita where you could play games that were both on the Vita and PS3/PS4.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who bought a New 3DS a few months ago (to replace my old 3DS, which finally decided it was no longer interested in holding game cards) I figure the more support Nintendo wants to give the system, the better... even if it only lasts until Etrian 5 gets an English-language version.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yeah I don't know why people keep insisting that in order for the Switch to thrive Nintendo has to take 3DS behind the shed under the pretense that Nintendo can't have a console and a handheld coexist with one another (eventhough that's exactly what every other Nintendo console and handheld before the Switch did).

With the argument being they can take these games that are only on the 3DS and put them on the Switch as if they couldn't already do that now. It's like that wasn't initially part of.the gimmick with the Vita where you could play games that were both on the Vita and PS3/PS4.

Right? Lots of people still own a 3DS and it still has tons of games to play. The Street Pass feature has always been fun in a cute, charming way too. Just because Mr. Switch came out, Little 3DS has to be put out to pasture? I call bull crap there.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
With so many title being planned for the 3DS (or, in this case, the New 2DS XL), I see its era lasting for at least another two years...
cfalcon

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
I enjoy this column generally without feeling the need to comment, but this week's article would be more complete with a nod to the release of Trails in the Sky the 3rd on 5/3 for PC. As a JRPG with anime aesthetics, it more than falls under the purview of this column. Since the two critic reviews currently on metacritic are 85 and 90, I'm looking forward to it!

Regarding the 3DS vs Switch, the many 3DS owners like myself who have yet to pick up a Switch obviously prefer Nintendo to not abandon 3DS software. But I plan to eventually pick up a Switch at a sale, and if Nintendo can use its momentum to convert a good proportion of its 3DS base, then it'll be in a very strong market position when it inevitably shifts to Switch games exclusively.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
I've actually not gotten around to getting any version of the 3DS up to this point. I have a classic DS, but for the 3DS the "3D" part seemed gimmicky/unnecessary and I just haven't been that big on handheld gaming over the last 10 years or so (having had a roommate in college who saved over my Pokémon Silver save file, killing my interest in the main series that really got me into handhelds to begin with, was likely a big part of that). I had some interest in picking up the 2DS, but the fact that it didn't have the clamshell design turned me off. I might finally pick this version of the system up now since I would agree with the article in that it really does seem to be the best-of-the-best design-wise and I've heard some amazing things about some of its library.

I'll probably get a Switch some day, but for me that day is likely at least a few years down the road; maybe they'll work the bugs out and maybe even have a more powerful version of the system available by then. Right now, electronic gaming is my #3 hobby after anime and tabletop gaming and I have more than enough to play on my PS4 and other platforms for the time being.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
cfalcon wrote:
I enjoy this column generally without feeling the need to comment, but this week's article would be more complete with a nod to the release of Trails in the Sky the 3rd on 5/3 for PC. As a JRPG with anime aesthetics, it more than falls under the purview of this column. Since the two critic reviews currently on metacritic are 85 and 90, I'm looking forward to it!

Agreed. Perhaps he'll add it to next week's column. It does wrap up pretty much everything in Estelle's part of the world, so might as well send it off with a mention, or even better: an article. :D
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everyone has their own particular pocket of Mario Kart nostalgia (mine centers on the game for the original DS) but screw nostalgia—MK8 is the best game in the series.

Not the fans of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which I think is best described as a kart-racing game for people who don't like kart racing. (Which I guess makes it the Starbucks of the genre, only a lot less commercially successful.) I am a fan of Mario Kart and I enjoyed SASRT, but man, all of the complaining about the Mario kart games wherever a lot of SASRT fans hung out got quite frustrating.

This isn't simply about Mario vs. Sonic, by the way. The item system in SASRT was designed deliberately to be weak, built more to shuffle racers close to each other around than allow someone falling behind to catch up. In other words, the key difference between them is that Mario Kart has a "Sword of Damocles" approach where no one is safe and positions are rarely stable; and SASRT has a "Wheat from the Chaff" approach designed to give as consistent of race results as possible.

I became good enough with items in SASRT to do stuff like snipe people ahead of me with Ice and Fireworks while using Blowfish and Tornadoes to leave traps on blind turns and behind other opaque course elements (my favorite was the fire in front of a boost pad in Adder's Lair, which you could drive through--the fire obscures anything put there, and never did a race go by where I DIDN'T make someone crash there, usually the same person multiple times). There were a couple of cases where I hit people with items enough for them to leave the room and a couple other cases where I seemed to have induced a ragequit. These people who prefer SASRT over any Mario Kart game do not like using items or getting hit by them. Most just expend their items as soon as they get them. Needless to say, its Battle Mode died off less than a month after it came out.

doctordoom85 wrote:
The problem is that the Switch isn't really designed to fit into most pockets. I can get my 3DS or Vita in my pocket no problem but the size of the Switch doesn't make that viable. So honestly the Switch (when I eventually get one, as a Wii U owner the system isn't offering much so far plus I got a TON of PS4 games still to play) will be a console for me but it's highly unlikely I'll use much of it as a handheld. So since it would take a miracle for Sony to make another handheld after the Vita's sad failure* I would actually prefer an eventual proper handheld from Nintendo but I know it's sadly not going to happen.

Yeah, the Switch is all the wrong size to fit into my pockets. Unlike the 3DS, it also doesn't fold, meaning the screen is always exposed. I can get a screen protector, but it'll have to be a REALLY heavy-duty one as the inside of my pockets are fire and brimstone, due to the high amount of body heat I give off and the corrosiveness of my sweat. I am using my Switch, but I am essentially using it as a home system with its own screen.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

The 3DS also has two screens. The Switch has only one. This would make some games unplayable on the Switch as they use both screens extensively.

belvadeer wrote:
Right? Lots of people still own a 3DS and it still has tons of games to play. The Street Pass feature has always been fun in a cute, charming way too. Just because Mr. Switch came out, Little 3DS has to be put out to pasture? I call bull crap there.

I'm actually one of the most active StreetPass users around. It's a shame that gathering Miis is so difficult, especially since Burger King recently switched to its own wi-fi and thus there is no more StreetPass Relay there. Progress in Mii Trek in particular has slowed to a crawl, as I keep getting un-updated StreetPasses Tags, whose Miis give the minimum 500 steps (next to nothing in Mii Trek).

pluvia33 wrote:
I just haven't been that big on handheld gaming over the last 10 years or so (having had a roommate in college who saved over my Pokémon Silver save file, killing my interest in the main series that really got me into handhelds to begin with, was likely a big part of that).

Pokémon save files during the first three generations were quite unstable; you'll eventually lose it, just as it happened to me twice. Nowadays, Pokémon save files are redundant, with an extra copy of the save in case one of them gets corrupted and a copy of the save right before it in case both get corrupted, and you have to jump through a lot of hoops to overwrite a save file now. I think Game Freak recognized the problem of destroyed or deleted save files.

When I was little, by the way, I was playing Sonic 3 and accidentally got past the infamous Carnival Night "Barrel of Doom," and I had a 100% save file (meaning I could start from any stage I wanted). I treasured that save file because, not knowing how to get past the Barrel of Doom, it was my only way to play the stages after that one. So I had a friend come over because he wanted to play. I forget what it was, but I was called over to do something that took at least an hour and a half or so to do. When I came back, I discovered he deleted all of my save files and was playing until he Game Overed, then moving to the next save file and tried again. (I think he didn't know you could pick up where you left off and that the file select menu was an archive of sorts.) I was so mad, one of the angriest moments of my life, that I wanted him out of my house that instant. He didn't really understand what he did wrong, but we never spoke again.

I did learn that day, if someone wanted to play a video game of mine though, to always watch to make sure they don't erase any data without my permission or to do anything destructive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2