• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Marmalade Boy, Sanrio's Nutcracker Fantasy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I screamed when I saw these get announced on their Facebook page! Yosei Florance and Nutcracker Fantasy are my favorite childhood films that I had been dying to own. I'll also double dip on Marmalade Boy if they scrap TokyoPop's horrific "weeaboo speak" subtitles and giant font.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Years ago, I recall someone explaining that the rationale behind the name "Marmalade Boy" lay in the preserve's combination of bitterness and sweetness. Still, it ranks alongside Bubblegum Crisis as having the most off-putting title of all anime named after varieties of foodstuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah I always crack a smile when Discotek licenses an old show I enjoy. This time I get two of them! Nightwalker / Marmalade Boy.

WTB someone to pry the Maison Ikkoku license out of viz's hands if they still have it.

Last edited by VanGosroth on Sat May 06, 2017 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
A Journey through Fairyland is a definite buy, and Nutcracker Fantasy also seems interesting. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is exactly the kind of title that I'd normally buy in a heartbeat, but if it's dub only, I'll have to think about it. I don't usually watch anime dubs in languages other than German.

It feels very weird to open an article about Discotek licences without my heart in my throat. They already got my number one licence wish some time ago, so I don't know what to wish for anymore.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice, another Tokyopop rescue and one that was supposed to get re-released under the old distribution deal that Tokyopop had with FUNimation (like GTO did) but didn't happen and now 10 years later, Marmalade Boy's finally getting that re-release and I'm definitely buying when it's out. Very Happy

Not familiar with the rest but I'm surprised that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is getting a SD Blu-ray. Is this one of the 2 releases that Brady was teasing in the last Discotek ANNCast?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

Close, when they are first at breakfast together, Miki tells Yuu that he is like Marmalade as he is mostly sweet with little bitter bits (the orange peel) inside. He promptly calls her "mustard girl". Would that be a better title??

A "Bubblegum Crisis" is one that keeps getting larger until it explodes all over your face. Laughing It you have ever tried to get gum out of your eyebrows you'll understand.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Sanrio, the founder turned 14 when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Not a good be to be celebrating your birthday.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If you have ever tried to get gum out of your eyebrows you'll understand.

I am at pains to think of a legitimate circumstance in which someone, through no misdeed on their part, might come to bear the burden of gum in their eyebrows. The brows are nowhere near the mouth!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Still, it ranks alongside Bubblegum Crisis as having the most off-putting title of all anime named after varieties of foodstuff.

Don't forget about Strawberry Panic!, the tragic story of a girl with a broken lesbian detector Anime hyper
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh My Gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Shocked Cool Nutcracker Fantasy and in Japanese.

Too bad they couldn't get the Japanese for The Wizard of Oz but I'm still there.

These are the announcements I love! My day/week/year is made!
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's one of Lynzee's tragically unlicensed shojo down. Wonder if we'll be getting Saint Tail and Boys Over Flowers in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Well, that's one of Lynzee's tragically unlicensed shojo down. Wonder if we'll be getting Saint Tail and Boys Over Flowers in the future.

Discotek licensed Boys Over Flowers almost two years ago and they even got the never before released movie. The physical release is a complete boxset and uses the Japanese name Hana Yori Dango. Smile
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Discotek licensed Boys Over Flowers almost two years ago and they even got the never before released movie. The physical release is a complete boxset and uses the Japanese name Hana Yori Dango. Smile

I'll be...I'd forgotten how old that list was getting.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Amazing... I saw this coming once I got Diskotek's release of Ultramaniac and headlining the back cover was "From the Creator of Marmalade Boy!", emphasis on the exclamation point, though they probably should have released that one first.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz looks interesting as well though I didn't expect they'd use their proposed SD/BD for something as, well, "international" as this or "previously released and dubbed". I'm going to have to buy it just to see how well they did adapting Marvelous Land of Oz, the second and much improved book..
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Glad we're consistently getting some of the older shojo shows now. A lot of those, I just didn't have the money to get when I was younger.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3