• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual Screens Hi-Def Anime & Premieres at Cons

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I say again: the only good news that could possibly come out of Bandai Visual is that they're pulling out of the U.S. market.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
80.00 for the blu ray of honneamise? 75.00 for gunbuster 1-6? what this people are thinking? they are more expensive than in japan itself
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
80.00 for the blu ray of honneamise? 75.00 for gunbuster 1-6? what this people are thinking? they are more expensive than in japan itself
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
Well I have little doubt the profit margins on that are a great deal higher. Except for additional disc costs I don't see how generally blue-ray/hd-dvds would actually cost them significantly more than non-hd material (well, depending on how much the licensing to use that tech costs, but I imagine since there is competition it's probably not too bad).

This said, I'm only looking at the per disc costs which is kind of a bad deal. In reality they have to make packaging/etc. separately for these items and since the market for them is very small in order to make up for it's size they have to charge fairly high to cover their base costs. I would expect prices to drop as the market for HD anime increases.

Of course as expensive as players (and TVs) are, I don't think this will happen quickly. Ironically these high costs probably scare people away from buying the equipment to play these discs, especially since if they are going "according to the rules" in order to save up for such equipment they have to go into debt for a few years or stop watching anime for awhile to get the $.
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
they are more expensive than in japan itself

not true.

honneamise is 9800yen. about $86.56
Gunbuster 1 is 5800yen/disc and there are 3. about $153.69.

and that's if someone pays msrp. many do not, since online purchases nets at least a 10% discount.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
And I'm assuming Gunbuster VS Diebuster is going to be sub-only.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
shirou.sama wrote:

honneamise is 9800yen. about $86.56
Gunbuster 1 is 5800yen/disc and there are 3. about $153.69.

Considering the Japanese versions of most of the HD releases also have the dub and subs I find the idea of releasing it in the States lame since I can buy the Blu-ray versions of Patlabor, Jin-roh, etc. for a few dollars more now, instead of waiting for their eventual US release. The main incentive for me with domestic releases (compared to R2) is the price difference. I don't think 10% cheaper is worth waiting months for, and don't see the point in releasing them separately in the US.

IF BVUSA would stick to their original plan and release them at the same time it would make more sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1