• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragon Ball Super Happy Meal Toys Come to Japan's McDonalds

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I like how these are EXACTLY like the American Happy Meal toys, so much so that if Dragon Ball Super were actually popular among kids here, they could just remake these six toys and no one would be the wiser.

Interesting how they call it the "Happy Set" though.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
I wanted to complain that we never get any cool stuff like this in mcdonalds in the u.s but thems just the breaks I am still disappointed that Disney doesn't use Mcdonalds to advertise their animated films anymore. I mean we sort of got Dragonball Z Happy meal toys if you count those Burger King toys they had a looooong time ago I think it was literally the year 2000 which makes me feel really really sad and old.. They were really crappy and ugly though from what I remember.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
I wanted to complain that we never get any cool stuff like this in mcdonalds in the u.s but thems just the breaks I am still disappointed that Disney doesn't use Mcdonalds to advertise their animated films anymore. I mean we sort of got Dragonball Z Happy meal toys if you count those Burger King toys they had a looooong time ago I think it was literally the year 2000 which makes me feel really really sad and old.. They were really crappy and ugly though from what I remember.

For both of those, it's because times change. Disney now mainly supports Subway in kids meals instead of McDonald's (whose main licensing partner nowadays seems to be Hasbro), as the trend has moved towards healthy foods, or at least healthy-looking foods (though if you ever read an Eat This Not That book, you'll see looks can be very deceiving). And anime, as a whole, has lost its appeal to American kids, or at least it doesn't have the cultural power that it used to have and thus it wouldn't make sense for any fast food restaurant to pick up Dragon Ball Super toys unless their rights-getting department picks up whatever scraps other companies toss off the table (like Wendy's or Chick-Fil-A--though they do occasionally strike gold, like when Wendy's secured the Super Mario rights).
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kind of reminds me of the DBZ Kids Meals toys from Burger King like the ones that came with the Powerpuff Girls toys with it but this time it's for Super.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Super would probably gotten something like this in America if it were airing on channels like Nicktoons like Kai used too as apposed to Adult Swim
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Super would probably gotten something like this in America if it were airing on channels like Nicktoons like Kai used too as apposed to Adult Swim

Nicktoons and CW censored the hell out of DBZ Kai like even more than the original DBZ. Adult Swim didn't do that with DBZ Kai, Kai Final Chapters and Super which also means more time to putting into the episodes quicker rather than the usual DBZ of Edited and Uncut versions being made.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
theNightster wrote:

Nicktoons and CW censored the hell out of DBZ Kai like even more than the original DBZ. Adult Swim didn't do that with DBZ Kai, Kai Final Chapters and Super which also means more time to putting into the episodes quicker rather than the usual DBZ of Edited and Uncut versions being made.

The original statement was not about whether the show would've been edited for content or how quickly the content would come out, but that if it were on a daytime slot on a kids channel, it likely would've pulled in an audience large enough to catch the attention of a major fast food chain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1