• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Superb Anime Moms

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
{Edit:} Trollish rant removed. ~ Psycho 101
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Nice list. I hope you'll do a similiar one for Father's Day, if you haven't already. Maybe you can do a list for good step-mothers next week? Although sadly the only step-parent I can think of is really abusive, but surely there are some good ones out there?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Somewhat expected Hana from Wolf Children.

Some others I'd like to just mention are Kong's mother from Ping Pong the Animation, Madoka's mother from Madoka Magica, Yasuko from Toradora!, the mother from Eccentric Family, and MHA's Inko - Deku's mother.

And as for the poll I guess I'm stumped. I remember being pre-teen kid who really liked Sakura from Card Captors, but I guess I've been a shipper ever since then because I just wanted/imagined her hooking up with Xiao.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Some others I'd like to just mention are Kong's mother from Ping Pong the Animation, Madoka's mother from Madoka Magica, Yasuko from Toradora!, the mother from Eccentric Family, and MHA's Inko - Deku's mother.

Yeah, I really liked Yasuko too. Far from a perfect parent, but she works hard and sacrifices a lot to try to give her son the best life and future that she can, and isn't that what it's all about?

I also really liked Aoi's mom in Encouragement of Climb. She's very believable as the loving-but-concerned parent who wants to support her daughter but doesn't really understand this hobby she's gotten herself into. The episode where the two of them go on a mountain hike together is one of my favorites in the series.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
I remember Eren's mom just being a plot device to make Eren hate titans so she doesn't really register as a great mom character in my book. I would have maybe instead included Sachiko from Erased who in my opinion is one of the most memorable moms I've seen in anime. Quick-witted, kind and trusts her son, she was perhaps the best character in the show.

As for the poll, I dunno. I've never really been into this waifu thing but I think I was really into Rin from Nagasarete Airantou back in the day. I guess I'll vote her.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Of the three key Key moms, I always thought Sanae was the least of them... not just because she's married, works at home and always has time for her family. She's just there and that's all she is.

Akiko from Kanon... she makes her house a home for wayward souls, always kind and compassionate but somehow very knowing. One thing she did that always struck me as funny was that she moved Yuichi next door to her daughter Nayuki while she took a room on the first floor. All calm and very trusting but she did come running when she heard "something" from their rooms. What prevents her from just being a dorm mother and referee for the cast? Well, there's episode 10 and then what happens to her later in the series and what happens to the household because of it.

Haruko from Air... wow, that's all I can say here. Watch episode 11 and 12 and then tell me how Sanae giving up on her dream somehow matches what Haruko went through. How do you compare a mysterious disease as a past event... "Take our word for it, it was very trying."... to that.

Haruko, top mom all the way.

Chi chi? If she had her way, the Earth would have been blown up several times already but that's more a problem with Toriyama I guess.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
I did not expect people to wish they could use a death notebook that much.

My first waifu was Sango from Inuyasha.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat May 13, 2017 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote

/thread
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ummm, yeah.... I wouldn't dare call Millia anything more than an acceptable parent. And that is being pretty generous. Yes, she realizes the baby being a hybrid is important to the plot but umm....

I mean, she's not mean to the kid and she's seriously doing her best, but man, this scene about sums up her parenting. This scene was cut out of Robotech, btw (when I first saw original Macross for the first time after seeing Robotech like 3 times, my jaw dropped at this scene, because I think I would've remembered it!)
"Can I hold your baby?" "Sure, here you go!"

Anyway, people kept mentioning "Sachiko", and I had automatically assumed it was Sachiko from With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (of course, I realized the "Sachiko" in question had to be from something more popular than this series). But she does deserve a shout out too, it's also a rare instance of a mother being the main character and not just being related to the main character.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
So I wasn't the only one thinking Sachiko from Boku dake ga Inai machi.

Hmm...first waifu. That depends. I fell in love with Black Magician Girl from Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, the anime adaptation of the Magic & Wizards portion of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga, the moment she appeared, but I was not familiar with the term "waifu" as we all know it at the time. Then there's Kallen from Code Geass. I remember falling in love with her and shouting out "That's my waifu." So either one goes, but Kallen would be the answer to the question.
KML777

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I did not expect people to wish they could use a death notebook that much.

My first waifu was Sango from Inuyasha.

Actually, I predicted that Death Note would rank in the top three. The ability to kill people just by writing their names, it would be extremely popular nowadays.

I picked anywhere door, because it is arguably the most useful and easiest one to use.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of female characters i really liked, like Hikaru from Magic Knight Rayearth, and Sakura from Cardcaptor Sakura or even Fujiko Mine from Lupin the Third but my first true waifu, by today's standard's, was most certainly Simca from Air Gear.

All this said, that list is really restrictive lol. Did someone use an online randomizer?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
All this said, that list is really restrictive lol. Did someone use an online randomizer?

You can add your own if you're logged in.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

You can add your own if you're logged in.

I stand corrected. Wink
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Just to name a few other moms not mentioned yet; Yoriko from Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, beware her flying forks...

...and Lovis from Sanzoku no Musume Ronja. She'll keep the order no matter how rough the household.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4