• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yowamushi Pedal New Generation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Lauren wrote:
Quote:
It's an interesting way to keep us rooting for Sohoku and convey that they're still the underdogs.

I find that approach to be a bit silly, to be honest. Perhaps it makes sense that the press would believe it was a lucky win, but i sure hope the guys who actually raced Sohoku last year won't underestimate them again...it would be a lot more interesting and make winning more meaningful if the other teams actually took them seriuosly from the beginning this time.
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
If this series wanted to be realistic (which it rarely does but I can always hope), they could use that fact that Onoda did the entire race last year on a heavy steel framed old bike and stopped multiple times having to catch up to dramatic effect. On a modern bike and a hitch free race he could have 2x the energy at the end then he did the prior year, even if everyone leveled up he's not out of the running.

Unfortunately, this is one of those sports shounens that feels like it forgot who the main character was with the ever ballooning cast. I'm guessing our little otaku won't be victorious, he might carry the new rookie to team victory (imaizumi seems too obvious to me)? Heck, another school we haven't even met winning it all seems possible.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The steel-framed bike he rode is *maybe* five pounds heavier than the yellow BMC (that he is borrowing... which is super unrealistic to begin with). It's probably not going to make as much of a difference as you think it would.

If the manga was realistic, he would have never won to begin with, especially with everything going as wrong as it did. He's basically Goku.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Lmao, the sexual innuendoes and double entendres have been flying fast and thick, er, abundantly the last couple of weeks, but they were barely, I mean, hardly, I mean, only just contained this week! "I'll put the man inside me on full display!" indeed. Very Happy

Between Izumida and Doubashi's steroidal muscle-fest and Aoyagi's Luffy impersonation, I'm not sure which had me laughing more. And Kaburagi's charming stupidity was the cherry icing on top. I don't think I'll be disappointed regardless of the outcome (unless Midosuji and his crew crash the party, which seems very likely), but I guess I'd kinda like Kaburagi's naiveté and Aoyagi's quiet perseverance to win the day here.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(During this flashback, I can really hear his voice actor Daisuke Ono's teen delinquent flourishes come through, reminiscent of his role as Jotaro in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.)

I'd say it's a cross between Nendou from Saiki Kusuo no Sainan and Shizuo from Durarara!!. Nendou's voice with Shizuo's temperament, basically. Plus tiny bits of Juushimatsu with the "boeh~." Cool
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On some lizard-brain level, Kaburagi realizes that his god is actually his upperclassman, as evidenced by him seeing Aoyagi's face when he thought about it.

That's a great way to describe it. Kaburagi does have a lot in common with Onoda, in that if you give him a job, he'll do it (at least if Orange Beena gives the order), though he's not quite up to Onoda's level yet.

It's kinda too bad he lost though, because now he's just got more proof that he's not a sprinter. :/

Bambi Style. Laughing How did Doubashi know to call him Bambi? Anyway, I prefer it to his aerodynamically unsound balloon chest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
His teammates were all acting like this was Onoda's fault because he didn't have the experience of knowing how other riders would react to his tag number. That may be so, but if ya'll knew this was going to happen, why didn't you a) warn him about it and b) protect him from it happening in the first place? All Teshima would have had to do was tell Onoda to stay in the middle of the team and he would have done it, especially if he had warned him about what the other teams would try to do. Instead they just let him fend for himself and stupidly let their ace climber get picked off right before the mountain phase. Grr.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see Teshima wining. I mean, if Sohoku took a good result now, what's Onoda for, then? Manami's chain problem is the only way Teshima could have a chance.

But climax? We're still at the first day of Inter-High! Very Happy
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I wish there was no chain problem, it makes Teshima look bad either way. If he didn't wait for Manami, it doesn't feel like a true win. It would make me hate the writer for doing that to Manami but I don't like this ending we got either.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how waiting made Teshima look bad. oO

But I'm baffled by a sport where it's considered boorish not to wait on someone having mechanical problems most likely of their own making (if the chain broke or he got a flat, I guess that's different), but it's just strategic to band together with other teams to wall off a better cyclist from advancing. (still can't get over how stupid it was for his own team to let that happen)

As soon as Teshima was reveling in the possibility of winning, I knew he was doomed. Though I didn't guess it would be by his own choice. Glad Onoda showed up in time though. Smile

I liked how their helmets kept disappearing so their hair could whip wildly in the wind. Very Happy
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't see how waiting made Teshima look bad.

I feel like if he was thinking for the team, he should have not waited. It's a team sport so he should had taken the win and considered luck as a skill.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
I don't disagree with you, but did you read the article linked in the review? According to them, not waiting and taking the win is "a mistake he'll have to live with." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:54 am Reply with quote
I miss that part since I skim through it really fast Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I just assumed only the fans was mad. I think I would have no problems with this waiting plot point if it happen between Onoda and Manami since they are more equal.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
I didn't mind the show not focussing so much on Onoda (who's cluelessness was a lot more charming when he was actually inexperienced, btw...) anymore or the lack of the seniors from last season, there still were enough interesting characters, but the repetitiveness of it all was really getting to me...there's a limit of how many oh-so-dramatic battles with 50 meters of racing stretched over 5 episodes i'm able to take. It was fun while it lasted, but i think i'm gonna pass on another season.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that the season ended just when the Tour de France is about to start. Maybe the animators want to take references for the new season? Very Happy

Also, while Teshima didn't win, It is a big morale boost for Sohoku. "They send their best climber and he just barely beat average Teshima... and just because he stopped for Manami".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4