• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Genre Tropes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Two things first: Bunnies & Gun Headers are awesome.

Anime...I don't think it really loosing any of its charm. I find the conversatins about the fandom much more amusing. Even though a lot of the shows are based on the same thing I enjoy the quirks- episodes played in random order like Haruhi or from the end back (can't remember what thats called).

I wish Card Captors Sakura would make a comeback- as the show it is and not the crap CardCaptors they had on tv. I think if they showed Sailor Moon again it'd hit it off with a whole new group of fans. They just haven't tried.

Good job as always.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Futagi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Which is better, anime or manga?

In all honesty, it really depends. Usually, I think the manga is better, but if an anime has a decent budget for animation, sometimes it can be better to watch the characters actually move.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey Answerman Douche Phrase of the Week

L-o-l. I forgot every bit of the article I read after reading that line. It was that good.

It's funny to see your "quick and I'm so cool witty phrase" turn into such a generic steaming pile of crap when half of the world uses it at the same time. I imagine this is a good analogy of so much media trying to be smart or cool but ending up generic. Odds are if you've had an idea atleast one other person in the world has had the same one too, right?

I'm horribly biased with the question since I've only read about a dozen manga(volumes not series) and seen 100~ anime? I like manga for the immerse yourself anytime and some of the great artistry but I just love visual presentation so much that anime really does it for me.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
You know, Zac... I don't mind that you hate lolicon, but what gives you the right to make fun of shows you have never seen and will never see? First KoJikan (yeah, I said it, deal with it. The show acutally has many merits beyond loli), now Nanoha? Look, if you want to make fun of a show you've seen and didn't like, awesome. If you want to diss a type of fan you've had contact with, go for it. But if you have no experience with the like (and I KNOW you don't have Nanoha experience since one of the last times you brought it up you talked about fairy characters), then STFU!
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
Although it could hardly be consider a success in its homeland, Princess Tutu has a considerable cult following over here. That's really the only magical girl series to become mildly successful in the past few years (although ADV released a few parodies of the genre, I'm not sure if they sold well). I wouldn't write of the genre just yet though, it's popularity seems to fluctuate. In a matter of time some studio will decide to make a new show, and if it become a hit, others will be sure to follow.
Those pictures are simply adorable. I have a rabbit of my own, but I doubt I'll ever tire of seeing them in photos. I would love to have my own little bunny town like that in my own yard.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Stop harping on Nanoha without actually seeing it. There's a reason it's popular, and it's not entirely about the moe elements of there characters. It's an action series that just happens to feature young children. Heck, the second episode of the second season, A's, was a fight for the entire episode.

I understand your whole anti-moe thing, but try to distinguish moe from loli. They are NOT one and the same.

Ken Akamatsu has possibly the best definition for those who haven't 'felt' it. It's not a sexual attraction in the least, at least, in its purest form. http://matthew.animeblogger.net/archives/2005/07/20/wednesday_notes_akamatsu-sensei_talks_moe.php

And, just so you are aware, when 2ch held its first SaiMoe competition, Sakura from CCS took top place
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
It must be said: BUNNY DEADWOOD is the single best Flake of the Week photo set EVER. Come on, just look at them, they're too cute! Anime hyper

Answerman wrote:
So if you're wondering where all the frilly dresses, elaborate trasformation sequences and talking animal sidekicks went, you'll have to ask the guy with the Nanoha body pillow. He'll know.

This, if anything, properly summarizes the state of magical girl anime right now. Anime smile

But, to be honest, if you're looking for the old-school style shoujo magical girl shows, they're still out there. I'd think that Ultra Maniac a couple of years back would count, as would the already-mentioned never-ending glut of Precure shows. This season, there's Shugo Chara. There are probably lots more others that I'm not familiar with.

Card Captor Sakura as the classical magical girl shows' "last hurrah" I would agree with. CCS could be considered to be the bridge between the old school, and the magical girls-as-moe we find today, since from what I know, it gained a substantial fanbase outside of its intended demographic, thereby suggesting that there is a greater demand for magical girls among otaku. Sakura's popularity in Saimoe only seems to underscore this.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
I noticed that a few of the Magical Girl series out/coming out soon are spinoffs of popular series.
There's that Sasami one (Tenchi Muyo), then there's gonna be an Illya one (Fate/Stay Night), and there's also a Kokoro one (School Days).
Nanoha is also a spinoff of some other series (though it wasn't all that popular).
Wonder if this'll become some trend (or has it been established already?).
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Zac, you like BECK? I never knew, I f'n love that show. Definitely my #1.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Has anyone read the plot summary on the Moetan page recently? Because it makes absolutely no sense. Or it could be that it's just poorly written.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
Have to agree with the guy about EVA's ending theme song, Fly Me To The Moon.

It never ceases to amaze me of all the so called hardcore EVA fans that just don't have a clue when it come to that particular part of the show.

Oh, and Christ! Those are some big bunnies!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Have to agree with the guy about EVA's ending theme song, Fly Me To The Moon.

It never ceases to amaze me of all the so called hardcore EVA fans that just don't have a clue when it come to that particular part of the show.
You mean where they believe it was actually either A) written for EVA, or B) an original Japanese song?

As much as I love NGE, contrary to entry number last, I never could stand the ending and all the different seiyuu versions of it.

Made my skin crawl.

As for the tie to Ender's Game, I could also tie NGE or Ender to a lot of things.

But they'd be very vague and make as much sense as the TV end of Eva ever did.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Busaiku Chama wrote:
then there's gonna be an Illya one (Fate/Stay Night)

Wait, what? That's the first I'd heard of anything like that. Where did you hear that?

Quote:
Nanoha is also a spinoff of some other series (though it wasn't all that popular).

Nanoha is a spin-off of a game (Magical Toy Box or something) which was a spin-off of a game series called Triangle Hearts (of which there was an OVA anime adaptation before the Nanoha anime. If the OVA was remotely accurate, Triangle Hearts was about a pair of twins (one male, one female) that were assassins and Nanoha was their little sister (who appeared for about one minute total in the OVAs). The Magical Toy Box(?) game, based on the opening video I saw on YouTube, appears to be pretty generic and vastly different than the anime. Chrono was the bad guy, the Ferret was a typical mascot character, Nanoha was a more typical magical girl, and Fate didn't exist.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
As much as I love NGE, contrary to entry number last, I never could stand the ending and all the different seiyuu versions of it.

Made my skin crawl.

I can understand that, then let's give the original a whirl. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, I have something worthy to contribute for once!

Zac, if Nanoha ever does come out here (I'm still crossing my fingers for Geneon to pull through), you should watch it. I *loved* it, and couldn't wait till the second season came out. I'd love to eventually catch up with the third season. Talking ferret, FTW! Smile

Nanoha was a "spinoff/sequel" (if it can be called that) of the 4 episode OAV "Triangle Heart", however, you don't need to have seen TH to see Nanoha. TH is mainly about Nanoha's older brother and sister and their...interesting line of work. Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, Triangle Heart was based off a game?

And in answer to last week's question? Lodoss Wars: Return of the Heroic Knight. OMG, that was so boring I never finished it. I was SOOOO disappointed too, after the first LW series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10