• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nyaruko Author's New Light Novel Fails to Make Waves

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
That was quite a tough sell, I guess.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The selling power of mecha-based titles, even as light novels, just isn't anywhere near as strong it as was in the 1980's-2000's...

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
If the publisher allowed it, the writer could put the entire series on Amazon as e-books. By paying a decent pricd (say up to $8.5), fans can help the creators and publisher make some money. It would help if it was at least near breaking point or higher.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering why something like this made news, but then I sorta get it once I reached the article's last paragraph.

If it has fans, there must be something good about it. But from its premise, the novel definitely didn't sound interesting to me.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Disclaimer: I am a copyright minimalist. This is largely because of what companies like the House of Mouse have done to decimate the public domain and keep extending copyright. Look at the 9/21/20214 article called "Normative Views On Copyright" on a blog site called The Tritonester to see what I mean. I do recognize copyright as property and a right but I am more for the Creative Commons and copyleft.

While such fan works are mostly illegal, there are sometimes creator- or publisher-approved fan translations and there are occasional fair use-equivalent situations. In this particular situation, I think there are fan translators who could send a message to the writer or publisher suggesting something to the effect of my previous post. Heck, a crowdfunding for it to be an e-book trilogy could help.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Manta Aisora should have written instead another story about monster girls.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I brought this up in a J-Novel thread. No guarantees anyone will pick it up or reply to that thread but at least the message was sent out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1