• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
@Buster Blader - I'm also trying to get Barefoot Gen and volume 4 is very cheap on Amazon UK at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=barefoot+gen+4
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate

I just checked the Diamond Previews solicitations for 2010. Volume 5 of Fire Investigator Nanase was solicited in May 2010 for an August release. All the CMX titles I ordered from that solicitation were cancelled. You can stop looking. The chances that that volume were actually published by CMX are close to zero.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@BodaciousSpacePirate

I just checked the Diamond Previews solicitations for 2010. Volume 5 of Fire Investigator Nanase was solicited in May 2010 for an August release. All the CMX titles I ordered from that solicitation were cancelled. You can stop looking. The chances that that volume were actually published by CMX are close to zero.

Thanks so much for the info! A bit disappointing, but then again, I guess there isn't much difference between it being cancelled after Volume 4 and cancelled after Volume 5.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, having a series you like cancelled before completion hurts. The last time I checked, about two years ago, I had almost 150 manga series listed as abandoned by the publisher.

CMX was especially bad. They were listing new titles as late as May 2010. Some time in June, the parent company (DC Comics) simply pulled the plug. I think the only reason the February titles shipped is that they were already at the printer when the decision was made.
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
My local anime store had a clearance manga table, and I found a few volumes of Flower of Life. They didn't have volume 4, but I used a Thiftbooks coupon and got a used copy for $25, so I ended up completing the series pretty cheap! Can't wait to read it, it's been on my oop hunting list for years!
keksimonsteri

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
Any advice on selling rare manga? It seems like a hassle to register as an international seller on Amazon or Ebay, and the local manga market is next to non-existent these days.

I have some titles or volumes that have been sought after in this thread, or that are expensive on Amazon, but I'm not sure if the situation has changed during the lifetime of this thread, or if an expensive price equals interested buyers...
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:18 am Reply with quote
keksimonsteri wrote:
Any advice on selling rare manga? It seems like a hassle to register as an international seller on Amazon or Ebay, and the local manga market is next to non-existent these days.

I have some titles or volumes that have been sought after in this thread, or that are expensive on Amazon, but I'm not sure if the situation has changed during the lifetime of this thread, or if an expensive price equals interested buyers...

I'll be honest, if your local market is bad and you're not willing to deal with the hassle of online selling, I'm not sure what options you have. How easy your manga will be to sell will also depend on the price you want, because the prices on Amazon and the prices people are willing to pay can often be two things entirely, but it depends on the volumes. So I personally would not use Amazon as a guide, but I would look at sold listings on ebay and see what the volumes are actually selling for.

Now, I'm not saying no one pays these crazy prices, I've been guilty of paying around $30-$40 for some volumes. I also recently saw a sold listing where someone paid $100 for volume 13 of Please Save My Earth. So people will eventually buy them, but if you want the profit, be prepared to wait.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant to you, so feel free to disregard, but if you have everything in sets (especially complete sets), these will be much easier to sell together rather than attempting to get market price for each individual volume. But again, it all really depends on the titles you have.

Hope this helps!
keksimonsteri

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly... I guess I'm more interested in finding new homes for my books and helping out fellow collectors than making a fortune (though that'd be a bonus).

I sell online locally and swap books internationally, so it's not like online selling or international shipping is new to me. It's just that the ebay etc. instructions are so wordy and not geared at international sellers. It seems like it could be more trouble than its worth, especially if it turns out there are no buyers. But I guess I should give it a try...
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
You could buy a subscription here and post in the community for sale section.
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Woooo!!! So a manga group on Facebook had someone selling Boys Over Flowers 1-22 for $150, so I messaged the seller and didn't see her reply right away so she sold it to another buyer. In my grief, I looked on ebay and found a listing for Boys Over Flowers 1-34, with no ex-library copies, for $225 (with a ebay coupon), which I bought right away. I'm just going to slowly save up enough to get decent copies of the last three, and as long as the set is under $400, I'm happy.

And once I get the last three, I'll have all four of my dream series complete; Red River, Basara, Please Save My Earth, and Boys Over Flowers! Very Happy
Frekman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote
Knights of sidonia vol 6, 11 and 14 are out of print.
Will vertical reprint them?
queenofwaterandfire22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
can anyone help me find a site were i can at least buy volume 1 of eagle in english or in french
Land Stander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
queenofwaterandfire22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
Looking for Barefoot Gen 3 and 6, as they seem to be obscenely expensive on Amazon UK and eBay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 76