• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
A dub and a beautiful CE I could cry! Sentai has become my absolute favorite NA anime company over the past 12 month Anime cry
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Woo-hoo, finally! Almost makes me happy enough to forget to mention that we're still waiting for some LoGH news.
solosorca

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone picks it up in the UK and releases it in this set. Chihayafuru is one of my favourite anime and this set looks fantastic!

(Watch me wait forever and just as I give in and import it it gets licensed lol)
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I hope a UK company license this soon. Because I doubt Siren Visual (Australia) will re-release it with a dub on blu-ray anytime soon.

This is honestly an amazing year so far. Gosick, Hyouka and this getting a dub. Im really in heaven Very Happy.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
That dub better be fire, if Sentai can for once do a very solid job on their dubbing then I'll be more than happy to purchase the product and hope they'd do just as good a job for their LotGH release (if they plan on doing it).
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
That dub better be fire, if Sentai can for once do a very solid job on their dubbing then I'll be more than happy to purchase the product and hope they'd do just as good a job for their LotGH release (if they plan on doing it).
What is LotGH? o.0 I think Sentai has been doing a good job lately. Also their new way of releasing stuff is something that makes me really happy by putting out the whole season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The dub for Chihayafuru is very, very surprising. I am not convinced Sentai can sell enough physical copies to justify the extra expense, but the responses in this thread seem to suggest that Chihayafuru will sell well. The good looking CE should help too

Kon'Doriano wrote:
That dub better be fire, if Sentai can for once do a very solid job on their dubbing then I'll be more than happy to purchase the product
What are you talking about? Sentai has done a bunch of good dubs for the last 2.5 years. The dub for Chihayafuru could be tricky if they translate the poem reading though. I hope Sentai is smart about it.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Sentai has done a bunch of good dubs for the last 2.5 years. The dub for Chihayafuru could be tricky if they translate the poem reading though. I hope Sentai is smart about it.

Yeah, I'm very interested in what approach they take. Not just the poems (which would be a nightmare to try to translate in a consistent way with the sounds, as opposed to just having people say Japanese), but then also the parts with the students of foreign descent and the various comments about lack of English fluency.

For the poems, even subtitling it is a bit tricky (requires both a transcription plus maybe a translation, plus some on screen notes perhaps), so I can only imagine a dub.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is really, really strange. Karuta as a competitive sport relies on strategy that is specific to the Japanese language. I will definitely check out the dub because I am generally curious to see how they will handle discussion of strategy when the characters are talking about the specific groups of karuta cards being categorized by their first syllable. They then quickly refer to various groups of cards that begin with certain syllables. It's just not a series that easily lends itself to direct Japanese to English translation since the context of karuta relies wholly on the Japanese language itself. The manga can get by this with translation notes or providing more context to aid the reader but a dub? That's quite the task.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a dub person, but I find it kind of funny how both 3-gatsu no lion and Chihayafuru recently got dub announcements, since they're both about some very Japanese activities, to say it in a way that makes sense. How are they even going to dub this?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they should change all the poems to limericks?

"There once was a man from Nantucket..."
"Wh."
*sound of cards being slapped*

I joking of course.

This will be tough to pull off.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of Sentai (their dubs can be a bit pedestrian more often than not and their mustard yellow subs irritate me to no end), but I'd be lying if I said they're CEs weren't fire.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Would it be a blasphemy if Sentai dumb-ed down the show in the dub version? The explanations of what is Karuta and how it is played could be simplified. The actual poem reading would be left in Japanese with subtitles. Translation notes could be put on screen, but it might fill the screen with test.

If something like that was feasible, Sentai could include a on-disc video feature about playing Karuta and warn viewers that the dub version simplifies and omits some things. And if the viewers want the more authentic and complete Karuta experience, they have to watch the sub version, which will have all kinds of on screen explanations.

Also, the CR subtitles I watched were not as complex, but I was able to understand the show; Sentai could also included simple subtitles for those that don't want all the detailed explanations.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain that the Crunchyroll subs still used terms like "Wa cards", "Ka cards", "De cards" to refer to cards whose second stanza of the poem begins with "Wa", "Ka", and "De".

Writing that out is easy in subtitles. Putting that into English dialogue will not be easy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn: Aniplex has money to throw around, 'cus of how much they charge for their bigger shows. But yeah, I do wonder about Chihayafuru....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2