• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
if indeed SukaSuka is only 12 episodes it will feel a bit rushed on the other hand if it is 22-24 episodes long will do source material justice.
Cant wait for Ep2 this title might hit me in the Feels real hard form the PV & 1st episode
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't mean I only like mascots who are silent, just that if they're silent they can't have annoying voices attached to them. I'm quite happy with good mascots with voices that don't grate on my nerves. Tamazo and Devi in Puzzle and Dragons X are borderline, but they've grown on me. But because mascots tend to be small, the ones who speak tend to get squeaky voices that are as hard to listen to as Kotomi's violin.

Heh, I thought his name was Vyrm, rhymes with Worm, which is what I thought they were going for. I'm still not clear though how they got Vyrn out of ビィ as he's listed in the credits.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:
if indeed SukaSuka is only 12 episodes it will feel a bit rushed on the other hand if it is 22-24 episodes long will do source material justice.
Cant wait for Ep2 this title might hit me in the Feels real hard form the PV & 1st episode

Agreed given the content of volume 4 and the final volume 5, trying to finish Sukasuka in 12 would be rushed.

The opening sequence(red) of episode 1 gives me hope the anime will end there.
It will really drive folks to either buy the LN or demand a second season Smile but still be a provide a conclusion to the first half.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Odd choices are made about what terms to translate, with probably the biggest sticking point being Seiji referring to Guri as a ‘Shinigami’ throughout the first episode. I question why they couldn't have gone with ‘Grim Reaper’ or something similar here.

They probably went with it, because in DN they are called that, and they mention the ripoff in the story. That's my best guess.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
On the Simuldub of Seven Mortal Sins, Theron Martin said:
Quote:
Although there are a few familiar names in the dub – Morgan Garrett, Elizabeth Maxwell, Caitlin Glass in a minor role – the cast is heavily populated by complete or relative newcomers. The result is unexciting, as there are several places where it feels like a little more verve might have been warranted. They do play around with the vocal styling a bit, with Belial being given a distinct Southern drawl while another girl gets a rough attempt at a Russian accent and Maria's friend gets a sort of Valley Girl twang, but it all seems rather random. Granted, the underlying writing is rather weak, but Funimation has done more to perk up scripts of this caliber on other occasions.

Well, I thought it was exciting! The show itself is nothing special, but I really enjoyed the dub. I thought the direction they went with for the voices was interesting. For example, to emphasize the nature of her character, Mammon/Greed, Annabel Thorne had the idea of doing Zsa Zsa Gabor's accent (https://www.twitter.com/annabel_thorne/status/858889793291333633). So it's not as random as it seems.

As for the "verve" thing, I think that only really applies to Lucifer's actress. She had the right attitude and I liked her voice, but her performance was a little stiff in places. But I thought everyone else did a fine job. I'll definitely watch more of the show just to hear more from the new actresses. I hope they stick around after they finish dubbing Seven Deadly Sins! Smile
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
Is anybody else watching the Chinese animation Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar)? I've just recently discovered it and find it to be quite enjoyable. Definitely the best of the Chinese animations to come out recently, by a country mile in fact!
Intranetusa

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Is anybody else watching the Chinese animation Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar)? I've just recently discovered it and find it to be quite enjoyable. Definitely the best of the Chinese animations to come out recently, by a country mile in fact!

I just started watching that anime too, and it's pretty awesome. I'm really surprised that nobody is covering it (and even more surprised it's not even listed in the encyclopedia here). It's better than the majority of animes this year and roughly on par with Attack on Titan IMO.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
Intranetusa wrote:
CurseTheSky wrote:

I just started watching that anime too, and it's pretty awesome. I'm really surprised that nobody is covering it (and even more surprised it's not even listed in the encyclopedia here). It's better than the majority of animes this year and roughly on par with Attack on Titan IMO.

Yeah, i would rate it in my top 3 for the season behind AOT and Kado. I guess it's not covered here because it's not one of those joint Japanese/Chinese productions and therefor not technically "anime"?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
I guess it's not covered here because it's not one of those joint Japanese/Chinese productions and therefor not technically "anime"?

It's not covered because it isn't officially licensed in English.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
^Well, this one doesn't even have an encyclopedia entry, so I'm thinking both reasons are applicable here. It doesn't actually have any connection to Japan, from what I can tell, so that seems reasonable to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 30 of 30