• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
If I ever need CPR, god forbid a Japanese (anime) teenager is my only hope. Rolling Eyes
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If I ever need CPR, god forbid a Japanese (anime) teenager is my only hope. Rolling Eyes

Yeah. Reminds me of the first episode of Mai-Hime. Apparently, they think giving someone CPR is the same as kissing them. I guess it's kind of funny, but only not. Of course, as a filthy Westerner, I don't really get the whole "sacred first kiss" thing.

BTW, Glenn *should* be dead. Very, very dead. That huge blade looked like it stabbed right through him dead center. But I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on that one, because magic.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

And the thing is, current CPR training (at least in the States, anyway) is de-emphasizing mouth-to-mouth in favor of strictly focusing on chest compressions. In fact, during my recertifcation training last year they recommended against using mouth-to-mouth unless it's a loved one or close family member.

I did also forget to mention that I found the CPR insertion to be anachronistic given what else is shown about the tech level of the setting. Besides, you'd think they'd have a better way of doing it with magic available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I did also forget to mention that I found the CPR insertion to be anachronistic given what else is shown about the tech level of the setting. Besides, you'd think they'd have a better way of doing it with magic available.

Is we are going by the notion that this series is set on a european medieval (end of 15th century tops) setting there are plenty of anachronisms. Swimsuits, eyeglasses and barber razor blades (are we to believe every man's jaw here is hairless?) were not invented until the 18th century. Mirrors were not invented until the 19th century. In contrast , blood circulation (the basic idea behind CPR) was discovered in the 17th century. I am sure there are many more (I think there was a bathtub scene with fresh water). Most novels of this kind rarely aim for historical plausibility, even King Arthur's castle in classic literature is depicted as being more modern than possible.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the CPR scene had me roll my eyes, but Albert was pretty badass! So was that really her brother or just someone (magically) pretending to be him?

This series isn't anything special but the silly previews always manage to make me chuckle.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
^ If you look at the uniform Re-L's "brother" was wearing, it's probably the director of that research institute. I think of Glenn had a bit more time before being stabbed in the back by Re-L, he would've gotten around to taking down "brother's" false image.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

for how useful that cpr was, by cpr they might as well mean mouth to mouth magic.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare and Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Yea getting a bit tired of the kill and/or kidnap Rumia stuff. Time to move on from her.
I really like this show, but the above criticism is more relevant as time passes. At Ep9 she has been threatened at least three times already and I'll guess it's not over yet. For someone who wants to find a way for magic to be better than it is, she can't seem to do much. Another minor criticism is that it felt a little early for a "beach episode" at Ep7 and now we're briefly at the beach again! According to the Ep1 aerial view, they aren't that close to a beach. Also, what happened to Sistine's burning desire to go to the fabled sky castle? Her role now seems to be wanting to be Glenn's companion and helper (future wife). I hope the plot can get back to it's roots in the next three episodes.

Edit Ep10: Well dang, they heard me! One episode later, Sky Castle is back, Glenn's an ass again (may become Sistine's husband) and we know who the girl in the opener was. I'm still betting on Rumia being threatened rather than (Akashically) cloned though.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
this show reminds me of the certain early 2k shows (particuarly the girls with guns shows), while havin glenn there kills all the lesbian undertones, it reminds me of those shows because it's a rpetty decent show with outfits that almsot want to prove the contrary; particularly the SM get up or r=L 's sisters reminded me of that.

and dunno, if saint seiya worked well with the save athena plot, it should tno pose a problem for this show.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, what happened to Sistine's burning desire to go to the fabled sky castle? Her role now seems to be wanting to be Glenn's companion and helper (future wife). I hope the plot can get back to it's roots in the next three episodes.

Well it is anime, once Glenn established himself as halfway competent Sistine's goals all shift to "must marry Glenn."

Speaking of Sistine's sexual desires, whatever happened to her groping Rumia in episode one. Outside of being completely awkward, nothing of the sort has happened since.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
I don't think Sistine has forgotten her goal, Glenn just told her to kind of be patient and take her time. With the way she was doing things she kind of put shutters on and not seeing some things, and after what has happened I think she has desired to really try and learn what she can from him on various things.

This next arc though needs to avoid a repeat to stop doing so after the third time or really be guilty of using the same plot. If I had to make a wish, perhaps flip the script to have student help the teacher.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
I don't even think Glenn has the goal of marrying Sistine, not only in just the romantic way, but I think it is just part of his usual using stupid reasons to cover for how he really feels in an attempt to not be too emotionally exposed where he could get hurt.

I am somewhat going to theorise that there will be an attempt to capture Rumia, that the guy may have to some extent been set up as a sleeper agent or something. But it will be personal with how it is relating to the girl that Sistine reminds him of.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
What was up with Re=L after the challenge was accepted? Was she clinging to Rumia to protect her? Fainted from shock? Bored to sleep by all the drama?

I have to say the facial expressions in this episode were just great. A bikini top with pink roses over the nipples not so much, though I guess it fits right in with the hooker chic of their daily schoolwear.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I know that Re=L was falling asleep during the spying on Sistine, likely because she was bored by the whole thing.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not sure if this is trying for a metaphor over how marriage would force her to give up her dreams, but the scene could certainly have some extra meaning on that level.

was not expecting oniyome nikki level of relationship study iun this show, this show does not stop surprising me,.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6