• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
It's still somewhat shameful to see a woman protecting herself from danger, especially when a man she knows is nearby

Reminds me of my favorite scene in The Last, where Sakura tells Naruto to walk Hinata home and he's like, "Why? She's one of the strongest ninja in the village!" Laughing

While the implication that it has to be the woman is outdated (less so in Japan of course), it makes sense logically that if both parents were ninja, one would retire, or you'd have a lot of orphans, not to mention the scheduling nightmare since they couldn't both be away at the same time. It also seems like older (like, 30+) shinobi don't get sent out on missions as much anyway and tend to do more work back at home, especially if they never made Jonin. Plus the kids seem to be homeschooled before they go to the academy, and considering their mostly absent fathers, both Hinata and Sakura would have put a lot of time into teaching their kids the basics of ninjutsu.

"It also seems like older (like, 30+) shinobi don't get sent out on missions as much anyway"

War is a young person's business as they say. Plus it's the shows setting of late 19th to early 20th with a small amount of modern tech.

From the CDC "At the beginning of the 20th century, for every 1000 live births, six to nine women in the United States died of pregnancy-related complications, and approximately 100 infants died before age 1 year"

And for those who survived past the first year the average life expectancy was under 50 from 1850-1920.

There is a reason the sandaime hokage looks so old despite being only 69 when he died.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Mitsuki's debut episode focuses more on Shino than the boy himself, but it makes sense for the show not to reveal everything about him right away."

Much like Metal Lee´s episode, that seemed to focus on Shikadai instead. That´s a bit of a problem with this series sofar, although I liked to see Shino getting some screen time this series, and I like how his character has been written so far.

Now I miss some of the old people. You know, Sakura, Sasuke, Rock Lee, Ino, Kiba...
Where are they?(It´s a rethoric question).

So far, althoug this series feels in parts like a re-tread of the First Naruto series, I like to see this new cast of kids learning to be ninjas. Not to say that I´m not enjoying this series, but some problems I notice so far are:

- There´s little ninja teaching, especially as we are in a New Era, with even technological advancements
- We haven´t seen much worldbuilding of this new era, although I think this is left for later.
- Apart from not seing the parents of these kids, it would be good to explore this, and the parent/kid interaction a bit.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
I think I can safely say the first five episode of Boruto Next Generation has been much better than it's predecessor. So far it has done a surprisingly better job at establishing and fleshing out both the main and secondary characters. The episodes are tightly paced so it's good to see some of the conflict not getting dragged out. My only gripe is the art and animation which is very inconsistent. At certain times, it looks very good but often you can see some poorly drawn characters.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Amy McNulty wrote:
It also helps that Mitsuki is not rude like Sasuke.

At least... not INTENTIONALLY.

Its also interesting that of all the Naruto characters, Boruto is giving focus to one of the LEAST highlighted of the original 12. Was also nice to see Iruka and Kurenai again. (and WTF with Shino's "party" outfit?)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
"It also seems like older (like, 30+) shinobi don't get sent out on missions as much anyway"

War is a young person's business as they say. Plus it's the shows setting of late 19th to early 20th with a small amount of modern tech.

There is a reason the sandaime hokage looks so old despite being only 69 when he died.

Well, there are plenty of older people in the military, in noncombatant and leadership roles. As well as people in their 30s or older who just like being on the battlefield and are good at what they do. It is kind of odd to me that the ninja sent out on missions don't have some older contact to stay coordinated, but the original series did show that they're able to stick together and work cooperatively without a leader nearby.

As for people looking old at a relatively young age, that's more related to the amount of hard, physical labor done than one's lifespan, though overworking yourself can definitely lead to a shortened lifespan. Humans were never physically meant to live as long as they have been living: That's why people's health tends to deteriorate from middle-age and onwards. There are so many health conditions associated with the elderly because these body parts have been functioning far longer than they were meant to. That, and your telomeres, which are reduced each time a cell divides, run out and start cutting into actual genetic material after a certain age (which varies by the individual).

SkerllyF wrote:
- Apart from not seeing the parents of these kids, it would be good to explore this, and the parent/kid interaction a bit.

Bear in mind that Boruto is aimed mainly at kids, so they're going to have stories and conflicts that kids can relate to. Relationships between kids and their parents can make for interesting stories for the little viewers, but focusing too much from the perspective of the parents will lose them quickly.

Series about kids and for kids (and for whom at least one major character is a parent of the protagonist) like Rugrats, Calvin and Hobbes, Phineas and Ferb, and Diaries of a Wimpy Kid will have scenes where these parents interact with each other the way you'd expect of adults, but the scenes will always be short and mostly about their kids. To most little kids, adult life is boring and incomprehensible, so the role of the parent characters are mostly limited to what kids know about their parents, and how kids perceive them to be (hence the continued prevalence of the "Amazingly Embarrassing Parents" and "Bumbling Dad" archetypes).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear, the evil entity turned Shino into a Cylon!
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Chubby Anko is grossing me out. Secretly hoping she's pregnant with Iruka's kid or something.
dash56

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oh dear, the evil entity turned Shino into a Cylon!

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
Chubby Anko is grossing me out. Secretly hoping she's pregnant with Iruka's kid or something.

Nah. Her old databook entries always mentioned that she loved dumplings and sweets and stuff. She just let herself go after retiring from active duty.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
I agree that episode 7 has been the weakest of the bunch but it's interesting to see the opposite reaction in Japan. This episode had the most favorable response in the series probably because Cho Cho is really popular.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
While Boruto's grandfather's actions were the notable surprise (and clearly intended as a swerve for what we expect for why Boruto is uncomfortable around him vs. why he is actually so) I was more amused that he's basically immediately mirrored by "Auntie Hanabi". Since we previously got so little interaction with her and she was often more "lifeless" as the "better" daughter, it was amusing to see her also so excited to see Himawari. Very Happy
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
1. Himawari turned out to be pretty hot.

2. I doubt that what Boruto has is the Byakugan. However, I *expect* that Hiashi will be able to see that Boruto has *something* going on with his eye, even if he may not be entirely sure what it is. I'll be pretty disappointed if they go the whole "Boruto, you shouldn't make up stories about yourself like that" route.

I think I like this series because I don't have any real expectations of it. It's been a pretty low-key affair so far, and that's fine with me. The Naruto series went on so long that the power-creep was reaching pretty silly levels, and the drama-aspect was... well, not too satisfying, especially near the end. If Boruto can keep things reasonably down-to-earth (relatively speaking), I'll probably stick with it. If that doesn't happen, well... easy come, easy go.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
The reviewer does know that said Otsutsuki is Toneri right? I'm not really sure how making Toneri relevant again is in any way lazy. In fact it makes a lot of sense considering what we know from The Last: Naruto the Movie.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The possible-Otsutsuki who invades Boruto's dreams is likely the mastermind behind all the recent possessions. If this turns out to be true, it's disappointing to see the franchise once again fall back on the Otsutsukis as villains.

I'm going to assume you haven't watched Naruto: The Last movie because you're not quite correct here. The guy in Boruto's dream is spoiler[Toneri].
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
1. Himawari turned out to be pretty hot.

S-surely you mean Hanabi right?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
S-surely you mean Hanabi right?

Dang it. I couldn't remember what Hanabi's name was, so I looked it up but ended up looking up Himawari instead and entered her name. But then (before posting it) I realized I'd gotten the name wrong and *thought* I'd cut-and-pasted the right name in there, then posted it. Somehow, the old name remained. Grr!

Yes, I meant Hanabi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 31