• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is The "Netflix" Way Of Making Shows A Savior For The Anime Business?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Jay_Stone wrote:
Does someone know from which anime the thumbnail is?

I assume it's from the upcoming Castlevania adaptation, I could be wrong though...
Nacirema

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

The problem here is the fact the Japanese loves to churn out stuff that maybe it will not be a sucess, pet projects, or in the worst case, stuff who, in other countries like the U.S., would could get both the director and anyone behind the whole process sued due to content, or lack of accountability.

Care to elaborate about the suing part?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Jay_Stone wrote:
Does someone know from which anime the thumbnail is?

I assume it's from the upcoming Castlevania adaptation, I could be wrong though...

The URL is /thumbnails/cover400x200/herald/42730/castlevanie-netflix-4.jpg, so I think that's a safe bet.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Wait, you've seen ‫footage from Perfect Bones? I really hope that means we'll get it soon. How did it look like?

It had a very realistic art style that reminded me of Jin-Roh and Terror in Resonance. It featured a cyberpunk setting reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell and Psycho-Pass. It opened with a fluidly animated low angle shot of someone running down a dirty alley. There was a futuristic looking tank driving through some sort of wasteland, and the last shot was of a pair of eyes glowing red in the dark before cutting to the Netflix logo you see at the end of all their promos.

I was really impressed by it. The production values looked super high and very mature like they were saying, "This is a serious show where you'll really have to think about everything that's going on."
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:
The problem here is the fact the Japanese loves to churn out stuff that maybe it will not be a sucess

You seem to think that everybody has a crystal ball that can predict with 100% accuracy which releases will be a flop and which will be winners. If japan had that kind of knowledge then Sony Pictures would not release flops like the Ghostbuster reboot. The simple truth is that "ever hand a winner, and every hand's a loser", anime studiios need to release their series to the public to know how good they will be received by the public.

But you are not alone, many people say year round "They need to produce less anime to increase salaries" thinking they can pick clear winners, forgetting series like Attack on Titan or YoI were a total surprise and many supposed winners languish in obscurity after a few episodes.

What I really mean exactly is "They need to produce less anime", period and not releasing pointless, money-wasting stuff who only some people would be interested.

I know many animated adaptations are made with the sole purpose to promote their original manga or original media, but this kind of mentality cannot go on forever, at least not in the long run.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
What I really mean exactly is "They need to produce less anime", period and not releasing pointless, money-wasting stuff who only some people would be interested.

I know many animated adaptations are made with the sole purpose to promote their original manga or original media, but this kind of mentality cannot go on forever, at least not in the long run.

Nobody makes anime knowing it'll lose money. As far as I know, there are no Uwe Bolls in the industry.

Are you arguing that making an anime in order to increase sales of something other than the anime itself is a poor business model? Are we just talking about "buy the manga or light novel for the rest of the story!" here, or also things like Gundam's partial function as a toy commercial? For that matter, Love Live's strategy of "buy our CDs!" has been a big success.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm assuming that there is no union/guild/association that represents animation workers in Japan. Or if there is, it is obviously incredibly ineffective. The only way things will change in Japan is if the animation workers band together and basically say, "nobody will lift a finger until things change." I'm guessing the chances of that happening are basically zero.

Unfortunately, the "nail that sticks out gets hammered down" cultural mindset there prevents any truly effective unions from forming. People in Japan are encouraged to keep their heads down, grinning and bearing it. If people protest, it's not that the general public will respond, "Look at those people abused by the system--I am not going to purchase things towards that industry until things improve." They're more likely to respond, "Look at those people being loud and annoying. Get rid of them and bring in people who will work quietly and unobtrusively." In other words, the effectiveness of unions depends heavily on the culture in the country in which it forms. The more rebellious the country's culture is, the more effective a union is.

If there's going to be any improvement in the working conditions of the business, odds are it'll be from the top down. Someone rich, powerful, and influential will have to create a business model with more humane treatment of their employees, and that company will have to succeed wildly and become a precedent for their competitors.

luisedgarf wrote:

From what I can ascertain, every anime released, ever since the see-what-sticks approach became popular, was released with the hope that it will become big. No studio wants to sink their money and staff into something they know will flop (with perhaps the exception of passion projects, but the production committee system won't let that happen), but different people have different ideas about what they think will succeed. In other words, even Hand Shakers had someone who thought it could catch on and become popular.

The current approach, financially, seems to be to invest in something quickly and get a small return out of it. Any given studio COULD produce fewer series and put more budget into it, paying their employees more, and putting more time and effort into each series, but even if a studio makes half as many shows as before (which would still be about 12 to 15 series a season, which is still a lot), the show would have to be twice as successful to turn a profit. Those series would most likely gain a higher viewership and more fans, but would it be twice as many? As it stands right now, even a small, niche audience is enough to sustain a studio. When something catches on beyond that, it can offset the loss of a true flop.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Fair enough. And for argument's sake, let's suppose everyone in the industry agrees. How do you think they will decide which shows will and won't be made? The Industry is not one harmonious whole working for the greater good; it's an assortment of studios and publishers in constant competition. Of course they know that not every show is going to succeed, but everyone puts out a show because while they only might succeed putting one out, they definitely won't if they don't. So short of the house of cards collapsing and a bunch of the studios going out of business (and no new ones being formed by ex-staff from the ones that went out of business), I don't see the industry-wide approach to things changing any time soon.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Netflix shows off with fancy trailer, but in reality they could end up making a mediocre co-production show with unmotivated, under-informed D-list staffers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3